Gregg Marshall investigation etc @ Wichita State

Mustn’t have been too bad as VanVleet spent four years playing for Marshall. You also don’t get accolades unless your coach pushes for them. Many would simply say Marshall was ‘intense’.

Marshall is self-absorbed bully, racist, etc. There’s a reason none of the star Shockers have come to his defense.

I’m amazed anyone ever agreed to play for him in the first place.

There were rumors he had baggage / skeletons back in the 2003-2005 era when he was campaigning for our job. We never interviewed him AFAIK, and we later second guessed it after he had success at WSU. But I think the reason we passed on him has come to light.

Tough trade-off though. He definitely made WSU more successful, and even got them into the AAC. Was it worth it?

I will not be surprised if WSU goes into a lonnngggg decline. Marshall elevated Witchita (with Koch $$$) to the national stage. WSU could easily slide back into mid-major obscurity. Before Marshall, WSU was mostly known for baseball. Not sure how WSU really remains in the AAC - this could be the excuse to boot them.

Basically gets $100k / month

Guess his wife is a ‘rabid fan’ at games:

1 Like

What a severance package. I know most if not all was a contract but still.

Looking at the severance agreement, there is no offset required. Marshall gets the approx $100k/ mo for +150 months irregardless if he gets another coaching job. To me that makes Marshalls return to coaching much more about the right opportunity to come back rather than about money. CLT’s current HC budget and situation, going from 1-bid CUSA to multi-bid AAC, may possibly be ideal for a Marshall to return to coaching. However, the window on Marhsall may be closing - MS St is said to be ready to part ways with Howland and Marshall is said to be on their list.

1 Like

He may also be interested in coaching a team that will play in the same conference with his former employer. If he’s a vengeful kind of guy.

1 Like

FYI - consolidated new thread with original thread.