G'ville news reports ECU coach gone

no links yet… but its all over BoneyardBanter

adding text from local news here…

Herrion Will Not Return as ECU Basketball Coach
School Expected to Make Announcement Later Today
Feb 22, 2005
Brian Bailey
WNCT Channel 9

GREENVILLE- Bill Herrion will not return next season as head basketball coach at East Carolina University, according to sources close to the program.

Herrion met with East Carolina athletics director Terry Holland earlier today.

ECU officials would not confirm the report, but they did expect to make an announcement later today.

The Pirates host Southern Miss tomorrow night. ECU is 3-10 in Conference USA this season and 8-17 overall.

No real surprise here. ECU gave their football coach the ax earlier.

Before the end of the season? That’s strange. But then again they’re not going anywhere, so now is as good a time as any.

Looks like the new AD is cleaning house.

From the Greenville Reflector:

[b]Herrion out as ECU basketball coach

GREENVILLE, N.C. — Bill Herrion will not return as East Carolina men’s basketball coach after this season.

A school spokesman confirmed that Herrion won’t return for 2005-2006, and that an official announcement is forthcoming this afternoon.

Herrion reportedly met with ECU athletics director Terry Holland this morning.

East Carolina is at home to Southern Mississippi Wednesday night.

Herrion is in his sixth season at Greenville. He’s compiled a record of 69-96, including a 16-45 mark in Conference USA. This season, the Pirates are 8-17, with a 3-10 conference mark.[/b]

Link: Reflector.com

What? You mean his victory over Charlotte did not save his job?

:o

Yeah, it’s definitely not good when any team that beat you fires their coach that year.

I really feel for Bill Herrion. Once ECU moved from the Colonial to C-USA for men’s hoops, the Pirates were really in a no-win situation. At best, they could have expected an ocassional middle-of-the-pack finish. Even with the impending realignment, I don’t think ECU will fare that well in hoops with the likes of Memphis, UAB, Houston, Tulsa, and Rice.

Terry Holland has shown that he isn’t willing to wait around and that’s his perogative at AD. Perhaps Herrion can latch on with his brother at C of C.

Anyone think Holland will take over? Right the ship and then turn it over to someone else??

clt wonders if they are going to go after lutz.

Run wonders if they go after Doherty? Or maybe Holland goes after another guy with even greater Davidson ties – McKillop. Hmmm…

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 02:41 PM [b] Run wonders if they go after Doherty? Or maybe Holland goes after another guy with even greater Davidson ties -- McKillop. Hmmm... [/b]
McKillop would be a friggin' retard to take the ECU job. He's beloved at his current school and he's WINNING.

Doherty would probably be a decent pickup for ECU, though as much as his reputation has been dragged through the mud there’s no telling what he could do for recruiting.

Max wonders if they’ll go after Greg Marshall from Winthrop. Max doubts Doherty would be interested.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 02:58 PM [b] McKillop would be a friggin' retard to take the ECU job. He's beloved at his current school and he's WINNING. [/b]
TF, the same thing could have been said about Herrion leaving Drexel in the City of Brotherly Love and heading for Greenville in the sticks of eastern North Carolina.

From Sportsline.com:

[b]GREENVILLE, N.C. -- East Carolina men's basketball coach Bill Herrion won't return next season, ending a six-year tenure with the Pirates that never produced a winning season.

A school spokesman confirmed the firing Tuesday.

The Pirates are 69-96 under Herrion – including 8-17 this season – and host Southern Mississippi on Wednesday night.

Before coming to East Carolina, Herrion spent eight seasons at Drexel, winning at least 20 games six times and making the NCAA tournament three times. He wasn’t able to duplicate that success with the Pirates, and their 14-14 record in 2000-01 was the best during his tenure.[/b]

Link: Sportsline.com

Also an update from the Greenville Reflector:

Herrion not expected to return as ECU basketball coach

[b]Herrion joined East Carolina before the 1999-2000 season after spending eight years at Drexel, where he tallied a 121-32 overall record and led the Dragons to the NCAA tournament three times. In the 1996 season, the Dragons tallied a 27-4 record and recorded the school's first-ever NCAA tournament victory, a win over Memphis in the first round of the West Regional.[/b]

ECU coach story from News and Observer (Raleigh)

[i]Originally posted by max[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 03:04 PM [b] Max wonders if they'll go after Greg Marshall from Winthrop. Max doubts Doherty would be interested. [/b]
CLT wannabe.

Dickerson, Maryland asst., Holland is a Maryland guy.

i have heard rumors about Jeff Battle at Wake…i think he would be a good fit…and he is a marshall grad so he has a connection to C-USA.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

May be Memphis State and EZU could trade coaches. :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by Niner89[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 07:49 PM [b] May be Memphis State and EZU could trade coaches. :rolleyes: [/b]
Calipari will go to Indiana.

The IU folks have already stated they are tired of having a respectable program.

B)