Halton Arena 25 Years Old

How did I miss them? Iā€™ll look again next time. Weird.

That orange paint scheme at the original Coliseum drove Lee Rose crazy! Supposedly those in charge back then felt the basketball court had to be neutral. Hmmā€¦

Announcer at one game opened with ā€œwelcome to the neutrally colored Independence Arenaā€ :laughing:

3 Likes

Great squad!

I still have the ticket stub from the first game at Halton. What a bitchin run of good teams that startedā€¦

Does anyone remember the defective trash burning tower circa 1993? What was upwitdat?

5 Likes

Definitely remember the incinerator. Built without scrubbers as I recall.

1 Like

Not sure what season it was but the season they had a points program where you got a gift based on the points earned by attending games was awesome. I think they had a hat, a bag and a shirt. Wore the hat and shirt out. That was fun.

For me the best game was the game against Louisville when Demon Brown had been suspended and Mitchell Baldwin hit a last second layup to win the game.

I started in 87 so experienced Independence then Tyvola (Tyvola sucked for our games and Hornets games. For anything due to the traffic issues) then Independence then Halton.

When Halton opened I was out a few years but still living in charlotte and I bought season tickets and never stopped. That building is what brought me back into the fold as a serious fan and I thought it was the greatest thing ever at the time.

And I still think itā€™s great.

I am not opposed to a major renovation to take out the track and make it better but I donā€™t mind the track. Makes it easy to move around.

I hope Iā€™m attending games at Halton till my final days.

2 Likes

The amazing thing about that Louisville game you mentioned is that Lutz told Baldwin ā€œjust donā€™t turn it overā€. And he didnā€™t. I wanna say he played all 40 minutes and was credited with one turnover (that might be official, but I swear I remember Lutz saying he had none). It was the reason we beat them, because Pitinoā€™s entire offense was based on creating turnovers + fast break.

Was one of the most clutch performances we ever had. Louisville was top 10.

Also, about the track - I wonder if there is a way to add seating but keep maneuverability underneath new seating? Ehhā€¦ probably some kind of safety issue. Nevermind.

1 Like

Enjoyed beating Pitino about the same as Huggins. He was pissed that he almost got his immaculate suit dirty in the court rush after the game. . Later events proved he was more of jerk than we knew.

4 Likes

That was an amazing performance from Baldwim. Not a natural PG but was stellar for 40 minutes. Louisville stayed at University Hilton. Players rode the bus to Halton but Pitino arrived in a limo. Crazy. He had in contract to be chauffeured to and from arenas.

5 Likes

Pitino was and continued to be a prick until all of his crap finally blew up.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know about the limo, what a d-bag. The end of the 2004 Louisville game is the loudest I have ever heard Halton. What an amazing night that was!

2 Likes

What college basketball player wouldnā€™t want to run through walls for a coach who rides in a limo.

How long before the next basketball game in Halton is played before a sell out crowd? I feel like we need a duke, Unc or a #1 ranked team & on espn game for it to happen.

Not holding my breath.

For a sell out we need either a highly ranked Opponent or a nationally recognized name, national TV coverage, us to be ranked or coming off an tournament run greater than losing in 2nd round.

2 Likes

The best thing about Ricky Pit is that he seemed easily rattled when heckled

I think that was the 49er Pride Rewards program and it was during the 06-07 season. That was an awesome program. I think one of the prizes at the end was an authentic baseball jersey. I wonder why they never tried that again?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/11/27/story9.html

2 Likes

With the Davidson game coming up tomorrow, canā€™t forget the time Leemire Goldwire scored 34 and bested Steph Curry who had 32 in a 49ers win. Another great moment in the 25 yrs of Halton.

We are 8-3 vs Davidson in Halton Arena.

5 Likes