Halton Arena Camera Flashes

I bought my family (wife, 4 yr old son, 7 month old daughter) down to the game Saturday. This was a somewhat special day because it was my daughter’s first 49er basketball game. As we got settled down in Section 211, we started taking a few pictures of our family with a small inexpensive digital camera.

We took maybe 5 pictures (with FLASHES!!!) when up comes a Page and asks us to stop using the Flash. We say Ok, but the Page sticks around to make sure do actually stop. I guess we were going to be asked to leave if we did not stop?

What is the deal with flashes in Halton Arena?? This is the second time in a few years I’ve been asked to stop using a camera. With no TV broadcast, what is the big deal? As I read the Guest Information, I don’t see flashes commented on at all:

[URL]http://sac.uncc.edu/node/71[/URL]

With attendance in Halton on life support, the staff needs to ease up, and just make sure people find their way to the right seat instead of worrying about people’s personal cameras that throw out a flash 10 feet.

I’m seriously thinking about not renewing my 4 season tickets next year. I’m sick of it.

I’ve seen the rule about flashes before. I think they mention it before the game as well. Sorry it left such a bad taste for you.

Its like that at all sporting events, anywhere. Flashes can distract those playing. It’s also a nuisance to those seated around you.

While I agree the guy sticking around to make sure you stop is ridiculous, the no flash policy makes sense.

Imagine trying to shoot free throws with 500 camera flashes going off around you. I believe that has something to do with it.

Man, I thought this said “Halton Arena Camera Flashers.”

You can imagine my dissappointment right now.

Whenever I’m reviewing the video we shoot for The 49ers Insider show, I always notice a huge flash that pretty much covers the entire floor. I suppose that it’s one of the still photographers and it’s probably approved. I guess it’s different.

I've seen the rule about flashes before. I think they mention it before the game as well. Sorry it left such a bad taste for you.

I guess I should start listening to the announcements.

It was my fault, I’ll get over it. Page was just doing her job.

I got hassled about the flash going off on my camera the other day THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE TIP. [I]That’s[/I] ridiculous, though I agree with the no-flash policy during the game.

It’s the security nazis at Halton, I thought I was going to have to go buy a box of donuts for one of them all because I threw a little tiny rubber basketball to 49timesthelovin about 15 minutes before the game.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;384507]It’s the security nazis at Halton, I thought I was going to have to go buy a box of donuts for one of them all because I threw a little tiny rubber basketball to 49timesthelovin about 15 minutes before the game.[/QUOTE]

Haha and they threatened to arrest me if it happened again.

Interesting…

Interesting…

It was the beard, it attracts 5-0.

Forgive the nostaligic moment…Anyone else remember the old-school NBA days when a sea of flashes came from the audience when someone like Jordan went airborne?

There was something magical about it…hard to find magical moments in the NBA today.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;384510]It was the beard, it attracts 5-0.[/QUOTE]

were they watching Peter Laplante to?

UofC, sorry you got hassled by the folks in yellow. They’re just doing their job. You posted the policies for the building. Camera were not allowed just a few short years ago. Trust me, I made of game of it to hide my media pass and wait for one of them to try to prevent me from shooting at each game The flash is a distraction on the floor.

[QUOTE=The 49ers Insider;384491]Whenever I’m reviewing the video we shoot for The 49ers Insider show, I always notice a huge flash that pretty much covers the entire floor. I suppose that it’s one of the still photographers and it’s probably approved. I guess it’s different.[/QUOTE]
Insider, the building is set up with remote strobes in the ceiling for still photographers if they wish to use them. Sam uses it, not sure if any others do. That falsh is also focused down towards the floor, not in one’s face.

were they watching Peter Laplante to?

He’s from Kiawah Island, SC, so he probably had Daddy or Mommy pay security to single you out even though he probably saw me harmlessly toss it over there.

Peter was tired of you telling him to shave his beard.

UofC, sorry you got hassled by the folks in yellow. They're just doing their job. You posted the policies for the building. Camera were not allowed just a few short years ago. Trust me, I made of game of it to hide my media pass and wait for one of them to try to prevent me from shooting at each game The flash is a distraction on the floor.

Insider, the building is set up with remote strobes in the ceiling for still photographers if they wish to use them. Sam uses it, not sure if any others do. That falsh is also focused down towards the floor, not in one’s face.

No biggie, I guess I just got a little mad because I was trying to ge the first pix of my daughter at Halton. I should know the rules.

Flash doesn’t do anything but illuminate the back of the person’s head in front of you anyway. It’s not powerful enough to reach the floor. I never really got that in sporting events.

Interesting…

Here’s a tip. Never try to fix your car near a Homecoming event. :smile:

Forgive the nostaligic moment....Anyone else remember the old-school NBA days when a sea of flashes came from the audience when someone like Jordan went airborne?

There was something magical about it…hard to find magical moments in the NBA today.

It also depends on the amount of people using a flash and if it’s easy to pick someone out of a crowd. A few years ago when Clay Aiken performed during half time, they made several announcements about no flashes. That didn’t stop half the people in the arena from snapping a shot of him.

[QUOTE=UniversityofCharlotte;384520]No biggie, I guess I just got a little mad because I was trying to ge the first pix of my daughter at Halton. I should know the rules.[/QUOTE]
And that is why it shouldn’t have been a big deal as long as the game wasn’t going on then.

[QUOTE=Hooner49;384534]It also depends on the amount of people using a flash and if it’s easy to pick someone out of a crowd.[/QUOTE]
From the archives, someone flashed. This is a photos that was used in several athletic department media guides that I took. It was used this year on the hospitality room pass covers.