Huggy Bear

I have to admit - I’ve always had a certain respect for Huggins, even when Cincy was our loathed rival in CUSA. I know there are Niner fans who hate him, but Huggins’ sincere compassion and love for his players can’t be argued after last night’s WV vs DUKE game.

Duke was clearly the better team, but LAST NIGHT Huggins was the best coach in America (had nothing to do with basketball).

It’s pretty obvious why he and Lutz got along: two stand-up fellows who love their teams.

I used to give Huggy tons of grief in the early 2000’s when I was a student at Charlotte, but he is without a doubt in my mind one of the best coaches in the country.

He wins games everywhere and his players absolutely love him. I had the chance to hear him speak at a basketball clinic last spring and he was hilarious. He’s a good guy and an even better coach.

You can throw some similar coaches into the same category, as far as recruiting. Huggins, Tarkanian, Volvano, Thompson, Chaney, Calipari. Guys either known for or criticized for taking questionable players. Some say they sell their soul, just for the sake of competing. I’ve always tried to not rush to judgment. I sincerely believed that Volvano was giving some kids a chance to change, grow, whatever you want to call it. He had to figure out a way to compete with UNC-CH, and he wasn’t going to do it by trying to out recruit them for the McDonald All Americans.

After seeing Huggins last night with Butler, I’m more convinced that he is more similar to Volvano in trying to give certain kids a chance.

You guys are crazy. FUCK BOB THUGGINS!! He had everything from murderers to child molesters to even a guy who raped his own grandmother on his teams at Cinci. Not to mention a 0, I repeat 0% graduation rate between 91 and 97. Like him if you want, but I still say fuck him.

user error… this response was supposed to be in another thread

Bobby stood up for Huggins and used his own money to fly to Cinci and support Huggins at the Huggins Roast. Then Huggins did what only true assholes do. He stabbed Bobby in the back. I also noticed at least one of Bobby’s biggest critics is one of the first to worship Huggins. How ironic.

Aside from all of his staggering drunk DUI’s and recruiting criminal players for his thug enamored program, the line he crossed when he hired away Dalonte knowing exactly that he was taking Beasley away from us (and Lutz) was the nail in the coffin. I will never feel ashamed for the hatred I have for that that asshole after he did that to his good “friend”, Bobby Lutz, and took away a very possible Sweet 16 run for our program.

Simply pitiful

Simply pitiful[/quote]
Actually pretty accurate.

Huggins is a pr!ck of the highest order. What he did with Beasley wasn’t illegal but it was what a douche does. There was an actual $300,000 cash payment to Beasley’s family- TRUTH.

WVU will be in trouble in a few years, give it time. Just like Cal and the like.

Simply pitiful[/quote]

? It’s amazing what some are willing to overlook so long as someone accumulates wins. Now that’s “simply pitiful”.

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:8, topic:22957”]Simply pitiful[/quote]I’ll tell you what is simply pitiful. Those that do not conrtribute to the 49er Club or buy tickets to attend our games but are always the first to critcize our coach, facilities, fans, and school in general are really pitiful. Then they always take up for the assholes that have stabbed us in the back and support them. You really cannot get much more pitiful than that.

Why can’t we be friends??

Hate Huggins or not, it was quite a moment.

Yeah he gives his players a chance. A chance in hell of graduating college. Huggy is terrible for college basketball. He is more suited for the NBA.

I never understood raggin’ the coach on bad grad rates. All of these players are over 18. It’s their own damn responsibility to graduate. No one from the school made sure I graduated. I made sure myself.

I don’t exactly live nearby to buy all kinds of tickets and I’ve never critcized our facilities, fans, or school. I love Charlotte. It seems to me that you don’t have a clue about anything.

Huggins has never done anything illegal and heck Lutz even supported him.

I don’t exactly live nearby to buy all kinds of tickets and I’ve never critcized our facilities, fans, or school. I love Charlotte. It seems to me that you don’t have a clue about anything.[/quote]Why did you think I was talking about you?

Huh? Are you saying you condone everything Huggins has done? Including his stabbing of Bobby in the back? You have no clue. Maybe you should start attending at least one game a year. It won't hurt you to make that 75 minute drive once a year to see YOUR(?) Niners. Either that or quit coming on here just trying to stir up trouble.

Why was it not ‘just business’?

I don’t exactly live nearby to buy all kinds of tickets and I’ve never critcized our facilities, fans, or school. I love Charlotte. It seems to me that you don’t have a clue about anything.[/quote]Why did you think I was talking about you?

Huh? Are you saying you condone everything Huggins has done? Including his stabbing of Bobby in the back? You have no clue. Maybe you should start attending at least one game a year. It won't hurt you to make that 75 minute drive once a year to see YOUR(?) Niners. Either that or quit coming on here just trying to stir up trouble.[/quote]

Maybe because you wrote pitiful. I always attend a few games each year. This was a strange year for me, but apparently you know everything. How am I stirring up trouble?? Sounds to me like you have NO CLUE.

Why was it not ‘just business’?[/quote]Because he stepped way over the line. Way over. Everything he did was about as unethiccal as you can get.