Ian postgame - Gerrity

Anyone hear Ian’s postgame comments as the player of the game? Great 1st half by Ian, btw. 3 3’s and a mid-range jumper, couple rbs, and a nice steal. He could have and would have talked all night if Matt let him. Talked about improving his game, becoming a more complete player. Broke down the team, talked about the SIU scout by Moxley and the players carrying it out. Stopping #14 and how they did it. Unbelievable energy and spirit.

He said 6-2 and now add the Freshman POY from the West Coast conf. Most of this we’ve heard but was interesting coming directly from Ian. Gerrity is a completely different PG than we’ve seen at Charlotte and in the A-10. Fast, unbelievably strong (one of strongest on the team), smart players who sets guys up. We’ve heard reports he’s faster than Harris. Lutz says he’s great offensively, very good defensively. My concern is he’ll be too aggressive at times, tries to be too creative, forces shots in the lane. We’ll definitely see some of that. Insert Harris if that happens. Calm him down, learn from it. Combination of Lee, Gerrity, Harris and Ian when he’s hot will be fun to watch.

Someone mentioned Gerrity needing to earn minutes. He’ll def need to show it on the court but according to Lutz, he has earned it in practice last season and this one. Gerrity as anticipated and some more production from Jones…and we’ll be pretty damn tough to beat.

Practice is irrelevant when you’re talking about yanking a guy (Harris) who has been tremendous at the Point and helped lead us to a 6-2 record. I have no problem with Gerrity becoming the starter but no way should he just automatically take over the role at the tip against Hofstra. And I’ll be rather displeased with Lutz’s ethics if that happens. Harris has proven himself up until this point and it should be his job to lose. Being Frosh POY in another conference is nice but it shouldn’t guarantee you a start at another school.

I hope Gerrity is as advertised and that he’s better than Harris because if that’s the case, we’re going to be that much better with someone as solid as Harris coming off the bench. It certainly won’t hurt to have solid depth at PG. When is the last time we could say that and actually be referring to natural positions? Wondering who starts is a nice dilemma to have.

Great write up and also wonderful to know how lethal this team could be with the addition of Gerrity.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;275308]Practice is irrelevant when you’re talking about yanking a guy (Harris) who has been tremendous at the Point and helped lead us to a 6-2 record. I have no problem with Gerrity becoming the starter but no way should he just automatically take over the role at the tip against Hofstra. And I’ll be rather displeased with Lutz’s ethics if that happens. Harris has proven himself up until this point and it should be his job to lose. Being Frosh POY in another conference is nice but it shouldn’t guarantee you a start at another school.

I hope Gerrity is as advertised and that he’s better than Harris because if that’s the case, we’re going to be that much better with someone as solid as Harris coming off the bench. It certainly won’t hurt to have solid depth at PG. When is the last time we could say that and actually be referring to natural positions? Wondering who starts is a nice dilemma to have.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say anything about yanking Harris out of the starting lineup. Gerrity will get minutes and have to prove it on the floor. Harris is great defensively and has been clutch. We’ll get some more offense from Gerrity and he’ll open up the floor. Looking forward to seeing how we use them. Also, those two with Lee with any combination of Coley, Mack, Wilderness, Dewhurst will be unreal if they keep it up.

Quiz time: Name the last transfer who was also the FPOY in their conference before coming to Charlotte ?

[QUOTE=amnesiac;275321]Quiz time: Name the last transfer who was also the FPOY in their conference before coming to Charlotte ?[/QUOTE]

Prior to Gerrity?

deangelo

the most important thing I can think of about the addition of Gerrity, is that it allows Leemire to stay at shooting guard. Our offensive is much more efficient when Lee’s at the 2.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;275321]Quiz time: Name the last transfer who was also the FPOY in their conference before coming to Charlotte ?[/QUOTE]

Chris Sager

It will be interesting to see how Lutz uses them both out of the gate. I don’t think Gerrity should start right out of the gate. But I hope he is as good as what I’ve heard and read. I hope he has a pass first shoot second type mentality though. I’m more anxious and I think others are about the change because we have never seen him play.

One worry I have, but it shouldn’t be I guess because they have been praticing together, is if adding Gerity could hurt the flow of the team???

[QUOTE=pcon;275335]Chris Sager[/QUOTE]
man i felt bad for him. was a decent player until he contracted mono then the only thing he was good for was shooting FT’s

Hey neezy, I believe it was [URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drayton_ej00.html][B][COLOR=DarkGreen]this guy[/COLOR][/B][/URL]

:chills: Sah-WEET!

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;275301]Anyone hear Ian’s postgame comments as the player of the game? Great 1st half by Ian, btw. 3 3’s and a mid-range jumper, couple rbs, and a nice steal. He could have and would have talked all night if Matt let him. Talked about improving his game, becoming a more complete player. Broke down the team, talked about the SIU scout by Moxley and the players carrying it out. Stopping #14 and how they did it. Unbelievable energy and spirit.

He said 6-2 and now add the Freshman POY from the West Coast conf. Most of this we’ve heard but was interesting coming directly from Ian. Gerrity is a completely different PG than we’ve seen at Charlotte and in the A-10. Fast, unbelievably strong (one of strongest on the team), smart players who sets guys up. We’ve heard reports he’s faster than Harris. Lutz says he’s great offensively, very good defensively. My concern is he’ll be too aggressive at times, tries to be too creative, forces shots in the lane. We’ll definitely see some of that. Insert Harris if that happens. Calm him down, learn from it. Combination of Lee, Gerrity, Harris and Ian when he’s hot will be fun to watch.

Someone mentioned Gerrity needing to earn minutes. He’ll def need to show it on the court but according to Lutz, he has earned it in practice last season and this one. Gerrity as anticipated and some more production from Jones…and we’ll be pretty damn tough to beat.[/QUOTE]

Good write up.
I think this says a lot about Ian’s character since this probably means he will see less playing time because Lee will not have to go to the point.
That seems to be the theme of this years team…selflessness. For Bobby this is a dream for him to have a great group of guys, which makes basketball a lot more fun. Hopefully we can continue with the chemistry for this year and years to come. But, honestly it is all on the leadership of Lee.
Lee will be missed MUCH more than just for his on court help this year.
But, Ian is such a team player for saying all this.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Ian is captain next year.

Clarification since it was confusing the way I wrote it:

[B]What Ian said:[/B] Talked about improving his game, becoming a more complete player. Broke down the team, talked about the SIU scout by Moxley and the players carrying it out. Stopping #14 and how they did it. Unbelievable energy and spirit.

He said 6-2 and now add the Freshman POY from the West Coast conf. Most of this we’ve heard but was interesting coming directly from Ian. Gerrity is a completely different PG than we’ve seen at Charlotte and in the A-10. Fast, unbelievably strong (one of strongest on the team), smart players who sets guys up.

[B]What Lefty added (my commentary and previous reports):[/B]
We’ve heard reports he’s faster than Harris. Lutz says he’s great offensively, very good defensively. My concern is he’ll be too aggressive at times, tries to be too creative, forces shots in the lane. We’ll definitely see some of that. Insert Harris if that happens. Calm him down, learn from it. Combination of Lee, Gerrity, Harris and Ian when he’s hot will be fun to watch.

Someone mentioned Gerrity needing to earn minutes. He’ll def need to show it on the court but according to Lutz, he has earned it in practice last season and this one. Gerrity as anticipated and some more production from Jones…and we’ll be pretty damn tough to beat.

Gerrity will earn the minutes. I think he’s going to be a great addition to this team. Having both, Gerrity and Harris, is great for our team.

Something tells me this board gets divided into two point guard camps, the Gerrity fans and the Harris’s fans. This move hurts Ian more then it hurts Harris and Ian is being great about it.

[QUOTE=switchfoot;275398]Gerrity will earn the minutes. I think he’s going to be a great addition to this team. Having both, Gerrity and Harris, is great for our team.

Something tells me this board gets divided into two point guard camps, the Gerrity fans and the Harris’s fans. This move hurts Ian more then it hurts Harris and Ian is being great about it.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Let’s not become bitterly divided over these two guys though. I’m just saying this because I know how we all are, me included. This is a good “problem” to have - 2 quality PGs. We’ve gone years since we’ve even had one, let alone two.

I’ve become a big fan of Harris, though initially frustrated when he tended to just dribble around on the perimeter the first few games. Defensively he’s been a stud from the start, but it seemed like he didn’t see the floor very well at first. Since WFU he’s driven the lane more, and has been a good floor leader. I hope he keeps his starting role until Gerrity earns it in games.

Nothing wrong with having two excellent PG’s, and there’s no reason to have any division among the fans here. I hope Gerrity is as good as advertised. That just allows us to sub freely at every position, and keep fresh talent on the floor at all times, without sacrificing anything. Lutz can give the player who’s hot that night the most minutes, and there’s healthy competition for the starting role each game.

Gerrity will earn the minutes. I think he's going to be a great addition to this team. Having both, Gerrity and Harris, is great for our team.

Something tells me this board gets divided into two point guard camps, the Gerrity fans and the Harris’s fans. This move hurts Ian more then it hurts Harris and Ian is being great about it.

Gerrity isn’t going to have to earn crap. It’s obvious that he is the next favorite son of Lutz. And no, it won’t hurt Ian’s playing time as much as Harris.

[QUOTE=77grad;275419]Lutz can give the player who’s hot that night the most minutes, and there’s healthy competition for the starting role each game.[/QUOTE]

I am curious to see how he handles Gerrity, because one thing that Bobby has had trouble with in the past is rotation.