Ian postgame - Gerrity

You donā€™t even like Harris. Or Lutz. Why bother?

[QUOTE=bball49er;275420]Gerrity isnā€™t going to have to earn crap. Itā€™s obvious that he is the next favorite son of Lutz. And no, it wonā€™t hurt Ianā€™s playing time as much as Harris.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m kind of scared that will be the case.

Gerrity isn't going to have to earn crap. It's obvious that he is the next favorite son of Lutz. And no, it won't hurt Ian's playing time as much as Harris.

I hate to agree with such a bold statement, but the truth isā€¦ thats probably true. If that happens, you can expect Harrisā€™s enthusiam to dwindle.

I personally think that Harris might be better suited to come off the bench. His energy and effort would be a great spark coming in for us.

Saying that, I donā€™t think Gerrity should/needs to start right away. We have 4 games til Maryland and 6 before conference play begins for Bobby and Co. to figure out a rotation.

I think Lutz brought Harris in as a stop gap until Gerrity became eligible but Harris has turned out to be much better than that. He deserves to keep getting significant minutes.

One other aspect of this is, even though theyā€™ve practiced together, this team has never played in a game with Gerrity. Theyā€™ve gelled together with Harris at the point and that wonā€™t happen instantly with Gerrity.

If Gerrity is as good as advertised then thatā€™s great. But he shouldnā€™t get minutes to the detriment of the team chemistry thatā€™s developed between Harris and the rest of the team. Also weā€™ve IDā€™d ourself as a defensive team so far. I donā€™t want us to turn back into the team whoā€™s guards shoot 65% of the shots and never look down low.

I didn't say anything about yanking Harris out of the starting lineup. Gerrity will get minutes and have to prove it on the floor. Harris is great defensively and has been clutch. We'll get some more offense from Gerrity and he'll open up the floor. Looking forward to seeing how we use them. Also, those two with Lee with any combination of Coley, Mack, Wilderness, Dewhurst will be unreal if they keep it up.

Me saying ā€œyouā€™reā€ was not referring to you, just the situation in general. I just donā€™t think that anything done in practice should justify changing a lineup that is working very well. Our offense is really starting to flow with Harris running the point. I fear that if we just toss Gerrity in there to start running the show, we could see our chemistry take a step backwards. Iā€™m going with the ā€œif it aint broke, donā€™t fix itā€ approach on this one. Harris should start every game until we are clearly a better team with Gerrity on the court. And as someone else mentioned, I fear Harris developing a bit of a grudge if he loses too many minutes while Bobby plays favorites with Gerrity.

You don't even like Harris. Or Lutz. Why bother?
If you don't have anything positive to contribute please refrain from posting. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=bball49er;275466]If you donā€™t have anything positive to contribute please refrain from posting. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s pretty much my point. Take your own advice.

Our offense hasnā€™t been great with Harris. Letā€™s not overhype what heā€™s done. Heā€™s been a manageable PG, but he certainly isnā€™t leading the offense to 100 point games, and he isnā€™t much of a shooter (whether by choice or not).

Thereā€™s pretty much no way we lose anything offensively with Gerrity; defensively, maybe. Our defense is best inside, not from guard play, though, imo. Plenty of times against SIU specifically, Harrisā€™ man would get easy shots in the half court set.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;275458] And as someone else mentioned, I fear Harris developing a bit of a grudge if he loses too many minutes while Bobby plays favorites with Gerrity.[/QUOTE]

This would not be the first time Bobby has had a questionable rotation, if it were to happen.

HOWEVER, in light of the team we have, and the way Bobby has used his rotation this year, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll have any CNE this year.

[QUOTE=eason49;275470]Our offense hasnā€™t been great with Harris. Letā€™s not overhype what heā€™s done. Heā€™s been a manageable PG, but he certainly isnā€™t leading the offense to 100 point games, and he isnā€™t much of a shooter (whether by choice or not).

Thereā€™s pretty much no way we lose anything offensively with Gerrity; defensively, maybe. Our defense is best inside, not from guard play, though, imo. Plenty of times against SIU specifically, Harrisā€™ man would get easy shots in the half court set.[/QUOTE]

As was noted by other people, the best defender on Curry was Harris. Harrisā€™ largest weakness on defense is height, a tall guard gets shots off over him anyway. But, Harris handles defensive pressure really well. It used to be that you could full could press us and we would turn the ball over. That is not true of this yearā€™s team. Harris attacks the press and never even looks to pass.

We donā€™t score well when Harris goes to the bench. He is not a great scorer, but no one cares. He is the total package at the PG position minus 10 ppg. No, heā€™s not a world beater or a NBA player, I donā€™t think anyone thinks that. And he is not an all-american. But there have been lots of great college guards that have no shot at any other level. If gerrity can come in and score a lot, great. If he can get the offense going, great. But if he does that while getting trapped on the defensive end, turning the ball over and allowing his man to score at will (we have had guards like that), then I would rather have a low scoring guard that forces the other team to grind out points.

I'm kind of scared that will be the case.
If Gerrity can shoot a lick you know Lutz is going to favor him over Harris. That's the way Bobby rolls.

Iā€™m not as impressed with Harris as most everyone else. He played a solid game against Wake and has played okay at Halton. He was benched at the tourney. Iā€™m willing to give Gerrity a chance.

It seems to me the same people that hated on Baldwin so much are the same people that love Harris. Harris appears to be a shorter, left-handed Mitch to me.

Mitch couldnā€™t dribble, after he got hurt he never attacked the basket. The only thing Mitch had on Harris is size and leaping ability

I remember when Baldwin fumbled a wide open in-bound chest pass to lose the game.

[QUOTE=bball49er;275478]If Gerrity can shoot a lick you know Lutz is going to favor him over Harris. Thatā€™s the way Bobby rolls.

Iā€™m not as impressed with Harris as most everyone else. He played a solid game against Wake and has played okay at Halton. He was benched at the tourney. Iā€™m willing to give Gerrity a chance.

It seems to me the same people that hated on Baldwin so much are the same people that love Harris. Harris appears to be a shorter, left-handed Mitch to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I posted something similar to this in the past. But I will say that as of right now, Harris is a little bit better on the ball defender than Baldwin was. It seemed to me that Baldwin lost some energy his last couple of years in the program.

CNE
Things that make you want to scratch your eyes out?

/$64,000 Pyramid

[QUOTE=bball49er;275478]Iā€™m not as impressed with Harris as most everyone else. He played a solid game against Wake and has played okay at Halton. He was benched at the tourney. Iā€™m willing to give Gerrity a chance. [/QUOTE]

They have similarities. Hopefully Harris gets better from the free throw the way Mitch did later on. Mitchell seemed to panic in situations at times. We havenā€™t seen that from Harris yet.

I always liked Mitchell a lot but he was very streaky at times.

It seems to me the same people that hated on Baldwin so much are the same people that love Harris. Harris appears to be a shorter, left-handed Mitch to me.

Harris actually enters the lane. Something Mitch didnā€™t do his last 2 years here.

Harris is a better PG than Mitch was.

I think Harris(whoā€™s played a whole 8 games for us) is so much better than Mitchell was his last 2 years.Think of where we would have been while S.ILL. was pressing us without Harris.He was by far our most steady ballhandler.He makes Lee so much better as the 2ā€¦when Lee has to play the 1 heā€™s not nearly as effective.Harris is not a great off. player now,might never be,although I think heā€™ll get better as he gets the minutes and gets some experience.Our inside guys,Phil,Mack,Coley are not good ballhandlers at this pointā€¦we need someone who provides a steady hand and can get them the ballā€¦which I think Harris does a pretty good job of when heā€™s in.Mitchell was an offensive liability and for his last 2 years had very little energy,as well as missing some crucial free throws.I hope Gerrity is great,if heā€™s got game,particularly offensive,he gives us a great guard rotationā€¦my view,which given the last game is probably going to be unpopular,is that Ian should lose some minutesā€¦we use him for an offensive spark(hopefully),but heā€™s a defensive liability,and iā€™m not convinced heā€™s more than an ok 1-dimensional player.I love his energy but see much more OVERALL potential in Dewhurst.

Mitch was really solid his junior year.

His senior year, wellā€¦