IE vs Firefox vs Mozilla or whatever

[URL=http://www.MAXTHON.com]http://www.MAXTHON.com[/URL]

All the delighfulness of the IE rendering engine, none of the Microsoft crap. Plugins, adblocking, tabs, mouse gestures etc. It’s what I use.

You can get an extension for firefox that allows you to switch a tab within firefox between the IE engine and firefox…

There's absolutely no risk at all installing/running FF. If your computer got screwed up after putting it on, there was something already wrong with your PC and FF just triggered it. I'd try the latest version before boycotting it.

I just installed yet another cool FF extension. Got the ForecastFox which is pretty neat. Allows you to see current/future weather conditions (including live radar) from several toolbar options.

JCL, there is an enhanced version of that plugin that allows for larger radar popup, even the animated one… I’ve switched to it instead of the standard forecast fox…

Love Firefox. Love tabbed browsing, love its download options, and its right click options own IE.

IE7 is bloatware. I cannot stand it. Slow to load (even with all the system tray fast starts) and slow browsing.

That said, i would switch to Maxthon or Opera at the drop of a hat if I determined it was better. I have absolutely zero allegiance to any of these companies. I just want the best browser I can get for free.

MaxThon still uses the IE renderring engine, so if security were your reason for using somethng else, stay away from the IE wrappers…

To speed up firefox a bit, try the extension Fasterfox. It has settings to tweak rendering performance and the network as well (increasing teh number of simultaneous downloads, etc.). You can even set it utp to pre-cache links on pages you are browsing. It’s nice, just try not to use the turbo mode on the site here. It will increase the server load…

this FF stuff is very confusing.

Gill - with firefox, you can download youtube videos to your hard drive. You can’t do that with IE. That’s all you need to know.

I agree with NA that the right-click options in Firefox are much nicer. I also like that you can go in and look at your login profiles for different sites and change them - in IE all you can do is reset them. Plus Firefox loads much faster and has a much better popup blocker than IE. I’ve seen a few sites where people with Firefox have problems, but they’re rare nowdays.

Mac, didn’t you say you could install FireFox on a thumb drive also? How do you do that? Is it a special install or do you just point the install to your thumb drive?

Edit: nm, I found it. [URL=http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable]FireFox Portable[/URL]

Bump. I’m using Firefox Portable and it’s pretty awesome. Much faster than IE plus when I’m posting on NNN it even has a built-in spell checker. I really like that I can now actually take my favorites with me as opposed to having to remember them, have them copied on my thumb drive or just figure something else out.

Bump. I'm using Firefox Portable and it's pretty awesome. Much faster than IE plus when I'm posting on NNN it even has a built-in spell checker. I really like that I can now actually take my favorites with me as opposed to having to remember them, have them copied on my thumb drive or just figure something else out.

Just thought I’d mention that Thunderbird (the email equivalent of Firefox) also can go portable…

I just read that the sweet new iphone that will be available in June only has Safari for its web surfing. So, hopefully by this summer NNN will be compatible with Safari.

I just read that the sweet new iphone that will be available in June only has Safari for its web surfing. So, hopefully by this summer NNN will be compatible with Safari.

LOL, buy me a Mac PC, or better yet, buy me the new iPhone and I’ll certainly make it compatible. Seriously, it would be tough to work on it when I can’t even test it…

how come other sites work on Safari that weren’t encoded on a mac? My webmaster uses a Dell for my business website, but it still works fine in Safari. I know absolutely nothing about web design, so this may be a simple answer.

[QUOTE=ninermac;210029]Just thought I’d mention that Thunderbird (the email equivalent of Firefox) also can go portable…[/QUOTE]

Ninermac is right, I bought a Scan Disk Cruzer Micro which used U3 Technology to basically enable you to have a startup menu to your thumb drive via the task tray. It is great because it came pre-installed with avast antivirus (which I can use to scan the host computer without downloading anything onto the host computer & I can scan my flash drive), also you can download multiple apps like Open Office (which Linux uses, compatible with Windows as well), Firefox, a lot of games, and others.

Pretty sweet.

firefox for the win. been with it for 2 years.

how come other sites work on Safari that weren't encoded on a mac? My webmaster uses a Dell for my business website, but it still works fine in Safari. I know absolutely nothing about web design, so this may be a simple answer.

If it’s a simple html web page, then it would certainly work. Where it gets tricky is the use of javascript and CSS as it’s very browser dependent. The forum software we’re based off of utilizes javascript heavily. Not knowing exactly how it breaks in Safari, you may find you have trouble in safari with many sites based on vbulletin forum software.

It’s tough to say though…

Ninermac is right, I bought a Scan Disk Cruzer Micro which used U3 Technology to basically enable you to have a startup menu to your thumb drive via the task tray. It is great because it came pre-installed with avast antivirus (which I can use to scan the host computer without downloading anything onto the host computer & I can scan my flash drive), also you can download multiple apps like [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Open Office[/COLOR][/B][/I] (which Linux uses, compatible with Windows as well), Firefox, a lot of games, and others.

Pretty sweet.

Open Office, if you haven’t heard of it and you’ve wanted a free Microsoft Office alternative, give it a try. Honestly, once you try it, you’ll probably wonder why anyone other than hardcore users would ever want to purchase Microsoft Office. You can grab it at http://www.openoffice.org.

Open Office, if you haven't heard of it and you've wanted a free Microsoft Office alternative, give it a try. Honestly, once you try it, you'll probably wonder why anyone other than hardcore users would ever want to purchase Microsoft Office. You can grab it at [URL=http://www.openoffice.org.]http://www.openoffice.org.[/URL]

I completely forgot about OpenOffice. It was a great alternative because MS Office would crap on files saved on a different version. Thanks for the link, I didn’t even know this was still around. Wasn’t this on our Unix environment at Charlotte 5-6 years ago?

Anyways, do you know if OpenOffice is compatible in other languages (allows keyboard inputs for Germany and Slovenia)? If so, I can get my wife’s family to download instead of trying to hunt down Micrsoft’s product where it’s actually more expensive than here.

I completely forgot about OpenOffice. It was a great alternative because MS Office would crap on files saved on a different version. Thanks for the link, I didn't even know this was still around. Wasn't this on our Unix environment at Charlotte 5-6 years ago?

Anyways, do you know if OpenOffice is compatible in other languages (allows keyboard inputs for Germany and Slovenia)? If so, I can get my wife’s family to download instead of trying to hunt down Micrsoft’s product where it’s actually more expensive than here.

I don’t know if it is, but being open source, I would surmise that there has to be some support for more than just English. If it’s been 5-6 years since you used it, you’re in for a treat. It’s basically Microsoft Office wihtout the bloat.

Firefox is the bee’s knees and the ants pants. Open source code has got to be man’s best idea since the invention of the wheel. I’m running Firefox 2.0 with the following add-ons:

Media Player Connectivity - opens any media you come across in WMP.
PDF Download - Allows you to open a PDF in 4 different options.
Tab Menu - Adds a drop down list of tabs to the main menu bar.
TixNOW - Does away with the wait period for downloading a file in rapidshare
Tweak Network - Tweaks network settings
Usage Counter - Provides a counter telling you how long you’ve been surfing
History Submenus - Adds submenus for the previous day’s history to help you find recently visited pages quicker
Gmail Space - Turns you gmail account into a hard drive for storage
FullMap - Allows you to see more of a Google Maps display.
FoxyTunes - Allows you to control your music (MusikCube, ITunes, MediaMonkey, etc.) from the browser.
Forecast Fox - Displays weather and radar right in the browser.
Fission - Safari style progress bar in the address bar.
Firefox Showcase - Easily locate any tab you’ve opened in Firefox by thumbnailing all open tabs
Cooliris Previews - Useful in navigating Google search results. Let’s you preview a page without having to open it.
Cache Status - Tells you how much RAM and disk cache you’ve used, and allows you to quickly empty it to improve performance
Video Ook! - Allows you to download and save embedded video from sites like MySpace and YouTube

There are literally hundreds of add-ons and extensions for Firefox that can enhance your browsing experience. Some are site or program specific, while others are general in nature. All of them are free, and are often updated. You can find them here: [URL=https://addons.mozilla.org/]https://addons.mozilla.org/[/URL]

There are also many different themes that can change the look of your browser. I like the ones that give you a black browser with some color enhancements, but if anyone ever wrote a Niners theme, I’d rock that as well! Themes are here: [URL=https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/themes/]https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/themes/[/URL]

Firefox is the bee's knees and the ants pants. Open source code has got to be man's best idea since the invention of the wheel. I'm running Firefox 2.0 with the following add-ons:

Media Player Connectivity - opens any media you come across in WMP.
PDF Download - Allows you to open a PDF in 4 different options.
Tab Menu - Adds a drop down list of tabs to the main menu bar.
TixNOW - Does away with the wait period for downloading a file in rapidshare
Tweak Network - Tweaks network settings
Usage Counter - Provides a counter telling you how long you’ve been surfing
History Submenus - Adds submenus for the previous day’s history to help you find recently visited pages quicker
Gmail Space - Turns you gmail account into a hard drive for storage
FullMap - Allows you to see more of a Google Maps display.
FoxyTunes - Allows you to control your music (MusikCube, ITunes, MediaMonkey, etc.) from the browser.
Forecast Fox - Displays weather and radar right in the browser.
Fission - Safari style progress bar in the address bar.
Firefox Showcase - Easily locate any tab you’ve opened in Firefox by thumbnailing all open tabs
Cooliris Previews - Useful in navigating Google search results. Let’s you preview a page without having to open it.
Cache Status - Tells you how much RAM and disk cache you’ve used, and allows you to quickly empty it to improve performance
Video Ook! - Allows you to download and save embedded video from sites like MySpace and YouTube

There are literally hundreds of add-ons and extensions for Firefox that can enhance your browsing experience. Some are site or program specific, while others are general in nature. All of them are free, and are often updated. You can find them here: https://addons.mozilla.org/

There are also many different themes that can change the look of your browser. I like the ones that give you a black browser with some color enhancements, but if anyone ever wrote a Niners theme, I’d rock that as well! Themes are here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/themes/

You’re missing the BugMeNot.com plugin. It’s a must if you don’t want to have to register on websites. To get the extension for it, you have to go to bugmenot.com. Once you have it, just right click on a login field and click bugmenot and it populates the field with a username and pass from bugmenot…