If Bobby leaves?

So, let’s just say Bobby doesn’t come back for next season, either by his choice (not likely, I know) or by way of being “let go.” Who could we get to replace him? Do we promote from within?

Tommy Tuberville?

Metro

My wife needs a job. I’m fairly certain she could lose 7 in a row too, and for one quarter the price. We can save the leftover money while we look for a higher profile replacement.

Even though it’s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates I’d like to see us go after.

Brad Stevens - Butler. Took them to the conference championship and a 27-4 record this year
Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa - 28-4, back to back conference titles, MVC coach of the year last year
Blaine Taylor - ODU - 25-8, tourney bound, handed us are butts this year
Gregg Marshall - Wichita St. - 25-9. Marshall has gotten them better every year. Might like to come back to the area
Steve Wojo - Asst. Head Coach (Duke) - no head coaching experience but he’s been with K for 10 years. That alone makes him a candidate IMO.

Again, I think it’s academic to talk about this, but these are the guys I think we could get and who would do well for us. Granted Stevens, Jacobson and Wojo would probably be picked away from us for a bigger school the quickest should they be successful.

I think Charlotte would have to go after an assistant coach. Would not be able to pay a proven coach the money that would be demanded. With that being said here are some assistant coaches to keep an eye on:

Robert Burke (Georgetown); Greg Gard (Wisconsin); Andre LaFleur (UConn); Brett Gunning (Villanova).

My pick would be Jerry Dunn (Michigan) who has been with John Belein for a while now.

The question may be do we want a coach who can recruit or one that is an X’s and O’s guy, obviously both would be ideal.

No way Brad Stevens considers leaving Butler for Charlotte right now, he should be a top choice of any Big Ten team who might be looking in the near future, or Big East for that matter.

I think the rest are reasonable choices. Financially, we may be forced into going after an assistant, if the reports of what Lutz makes are true, we won’t be able to lure a name with that kind of money.

I agree that this discussion likely won’t come into play, for better or worse.

Since 2003, when he was fired as head coach at Penn State.

bet the house, give Quinn Snyder a shot.

[quote=“MKNiner, post:5, topic:22704”]Even though it’s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates I’d like to see us go after.

Brad Stevens - Butler. Took them to the conference championship and a 27-4 record this year
Ben Jacobson - Northern Iowa - 28-4, back to back conference titles, MVC coach of the year last year
Gregg Marshall - Wichita St. - 25-9. Marshall has gotten them better every year. Might like to come back to the area
Steve Wojo - Asst. Head Coach (Duke) - no head coaching experience but he’s been with K for 10 years. That alone makes him a candidate IMO.

Again, I think it’s academic to talk about this, but these are the guys I think we could get and who would do well for us. Granted Stevens, Jacobson and Wojo would probably be picked away from us for a bigger school the quickest should they be successful.[/quote]
Rob Lanier

this guy is primed for another shot

has A10 experience, awesome recruiter, HC experience

http://www.gatorcountry.com/basketball/article/second_times_a_charm_for_rob_lanier/1380

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php?year=2009&staff=lanier

I don’t get the fascination with Quin. In his years at Missouri they finished 6th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 11th in the Big 12. Only once did he make it past the 2nd round of the conference tournament. I will give you that they made post season play every year but his last (5 NCAA and 3 NIT), and had a run to the Elite 8 one year, but for a BCS school that is not exactly magic.

Scotty.

Olson.

Then we’d actually get to fire him!

Rod Howard

[quote=“metro, post:10, topic:22704”][quote=“MKNiner, post:5, topic:22704”]Even though it’s probably academic right now here are the top 5 candidates I’d like to see us go after.

Again, I think it’s academic to talk about this, but these are the guys I think we could get and who would do well for us. Granted Stevens, Jacobson and Wojo would probably be picked away from us for a bigger school the quickest should they be successful.[/quote]
Rob Lanier

this guy is primed for another shot

has A10 experience, awesome recruiter, HC experience

http://www.gatorcountry.com/basketball/article/second_times_a_charm_for_rob_lanier/1380

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php?year=2009&staff=lanier[/quote]

I’ve actually met him before, really nice guy. However, he did a terrible job at Siena (58-70), basically tearing down what Paul Hewitt and Louis Orr had built. Since then McCaffery has done an amazing job building it back up.

I am sort of intrigued by Steve Donahue at Cornell. He has Philly ties, has taken the doormat of the Ivy League to 3 consecutive NCAAs, and former Ivy league guys are doing very well in the A10 (Dunphy & Mooney).

Thank you!

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=22205.0

Mike Minter

Mike Minter

I don’t get the fascination with Quin. In his years at Missouri they finished 6th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 11th in the Big 12. Only once did he make it past the 2nd round of the conference tournament. I will give you that they made post season play every year but his last (5 NCAA and 3 NIT), and had a run to the Elite 8 one year, but for a BCS school that is not exactly magic.[/quote]

He took a team to the NCAA tourney who hadn’t been there in 4 years. Two years later, they went at least second round, three straight years. Year later, elite eight.

The “meltdown” there was at least partially to blame on the school. If you look, you’ll see that Mizzou has had eligability issues with bbal players before Snyder (see 1994 vacated season).

I’m not saying Snyder is going to be Lutz classy, but I don’t think he is Calipari either.

What about Paul Hewitt, if rumors of his demise at GT are true?

[quote=“77grad, post:19, topic:22704”]What about Paul Hewitt, if rumors of his demise at GT are true?[/quote]I’d like someone that could coach, so no, I don’t want Paul Hewitt. He has talent galore, and can’t get anything out of them.