Imagine the term "support"

[QUOTE=Normmm;390890]If I was offended I would have called him a name back, I would have informed a moderator of the post, I would have asked him to be banned. I did none of that. Instead I said I hope it doesn’t get him banned.

But I’ll ask you the same thing I asked Metro. If it wasn’t offensive then why post the popcorn bucket?[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t what I would call being nice, but I think he was just jabbing you on your support of Lutz. I wouldn’t have used the “word” schlong, but then I have a vast vocabulary from which to pull.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi everyone. I’m a long time reader of the board but a first time poster. I am also a long time season ticket holder and athletic foundation member. I read this board for one simple reason: it is [U]the[/U] place to get information about the Charlotte 49ers. Heck, it’s also the place to get information about the University in general.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office” /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I’ve never felt compelled to post, I didn’t even have a screen name until today. But this subject touched a nerve for me. I read the article about Coach Cal and was impressed. I mean don’t get me wrong, I dislike everything about the guy, but you have to be impressed with what he’s doing. If Bobby could do something similar, that’d be great. But to be honest, right now I’d rather have him out looking for a backup point guard for next year. If we don’t get Dijuan some help we’re going to struggle again next year. I love Dijuan, but being able to sit down for 10 minutes a game would help him immensely. And let’s face it, if we have another season like this one, it won’t matter how many community events Bobby does.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]The question that I have to ask about our fundraising is this: since Bobby has his hands full, why don’t the fundraisers do it? I’m serious. We could have the fundraisers start asking people for money. They could even ask people who don’t currently give to start doing so in addition to going back to the same old wells. And then, once people give money, they could then be made to feel appreciated for their generosity and then incentivized to give even more. <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I’m saying this partially tongue-in-cheek, but consider this: out of everything that I’ve given the athletic department, do you know how much of it I have been asked to do? None of it. I’m not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve been more generous than I could afford over the years. Why have I done it? Because I’m damn proud of my school. I’ve got big dreams for my alma mater, I wish I felt like more people in the right places felt the same way.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]Now to be fair, I do enjoy several benefits in exchange for my giving: <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]-I get to attend pre-game meals before basketball games. The beer is cold, but has anybody had any broccoli/rice casserole lately? I have. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]-- I also get invited to other things throughout the year. They are mostly the same things over and over again.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]I have to wonder how much of this I would have done if I had waited to be asked? I wonder how many others would get involved if we could sell them a vision? <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Take football for instance. The Chancellor’s recommendation to the trustees basically amounted to a half-hearted “Well, I’ve put in a lot of late nights working on this, and I guess that we should do it.” Where was the enthusiasm? How about “I’ve looked at this from all angles and starting football is exactly what we need to do in order to best position this University for the future that we all believe it deserves.” Not going to get that am I? How did the fundraising for football begin. We were all told to call them with our pledges. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]OK, fine, I’ll call because I want football. Now what? I wait and wait and wait for details. Then details come. What am I instructed to do? Call us with your credit card number by April 4. Now I hear that a low number of people have called to pay for their FSLs. I think I know why this is: because if you give people until April to pay, they will wait until April to pay. Yet, if I were asked to pay at any point during the process, I would do it on the spot. So as it stands, my phone call, along with everyone else’s, is being eagerly anticipated over in the Athletic Department. And yes, I’m going to call and give money to help start the football program that we all want (and the University needs) so badly. But my final question is this: do you think that the CEO of FedEx called Calipari or was it the other way around? <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi everyone. I'm a long time reader of the board but a first time poster. I am also a long time season ticket holder and athletic foundation member. I read this board for one simple reason: it is [U]the[/U] place to get information about the Charlotte 49ers. Heck, it's also the place to get information about the University in general.[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I've never felt compelled to post, I didn't even have a screen name until today. But this subject touched a nerve for me. I read the article about Coach Cal and was impressed. I mean don't get me wrong, I dislike everything about the guy, but you have to be impressed with what he's doing. If Bobby could do something similar, that'd be great. But to be honest, right now I'd rather have him out looking for a backup point guard for next year. If we don't get Dijuan some help we're going to struggle again next year. I love Dijuan, but being able to sit down for 10 minutes a game would help him immensely. And let's face it, if we have another season like this one, it won't matter how many community events Bobby does.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]The question that I have to ask about our fundraising is this: since Bobby has his hands full, why don’t the fundraisers do it? I’m serious. We could have the fundraisers start asking people for money. They could even ask people who don’t currently give to start doing so in addition to going back to the same old wells. And then, once people give money, they could then be made to feel appreciated for their generosity and then incentivized to give even more. <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I’m saying this partially tongue-in-cheek, but consider this: out of everything that I’ve given the athletic department, do you know how much of it I have been asked to do? None of it. I’m not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve been more generous than I could afford over the years. Why have I done it? Because I’m damn proud of my school. I’ve got big dreams for my alma mater, I wish I felt like more people in the right places felt the same way.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]Now to be fair, I do enjoy several benefits in exchange for my giving: <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]-I get to attend pre-game meals before basketball games. The beer is cold, but has anybody had any broccoli/rice casserole lately? I have. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]-- I also get invited to other things throughout the year. They are mostly the same things over and over again.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]I have to wonder how much of this I would have done if I had waited to be asked? I wonder how many others would get involved if we could sell them a vision? <o:p></o:p>[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Take football for instance. The Chancellor’s recommendation to the trustees basically amounted to a half-hearted “Well, I’ve put in a lot of late nights working on this, and I guess that we should do it.” Where was the enthusiasm? How about “I’ve looked at this from all angles and starting football is exactly what we need to do in order to best position this University for the future that we all believe it deserves.” Not going to get that am I? How did the fundraising for football begin. We were all told to call them with our pledges. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]OK, fine, I’ll call because I want football. Now what? I wait and wait and wait for details. Then details come. What am I instructed to do? Call us with your credit card number by April 4. Now I hear that a low number of people have called to pay for their FSLs. I think I know why this is: because if you give people until April to pay, they will wait until April to pay. Yet, if I were asked to pay at any point during the process, I would do it on the spot. So as it stands, my phone call, along with everyone else’s, is being eagerly anticipated over in the Athletic Department. And yes, I’m going to call and give money to help start the football program that we all want (and the University needs) so badly. But my final question is this: do you think that the CEO of FedEx called Calipari or was it the other way around? <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

there are some people that are going to have a problem with this post…

I know that Jim Woodward used to put the brakes on athletic fundraising so it did not interfere with his building drives. Its fact.

I wonder if CHP-Dubois is ever told by Erskine and Co not to “call on” certain people in CLT because it would interfere with Chapel Hill revenue?? dead serious btw.

Great post and welcome to the board!

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hi everyone. I'm a long time reader of the board but a first time poster. I am also a long time season ticket holder and athletic foundation member. I read this board for one simple reason: it is [U]the[/U] place to get information about the Charlotte 49ers. Heck, it's also the place to get information about the University in general.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR] [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I've never felt compelled to post, I didn't even have a screen name until today. But this subject touched a nerve for me. I read the article about Coach Cal and was impressed. I mean don't get me wrong, I dislike everything about the guy, but you have to be impressed with what he's doing. If Bobby could do something similar, that'd be great. But to be honest, right now I'd rather have him out looking for a backup point guard for next year. If we don't get Dijuan some help we're going to struggle again next year. I love Dijuan, but being able to sit down for 10 minutes a game would help him immensely. And let's face it, if we have another season like this one, it won't matter how many community events Bobby does.[/FONT][/COLOR]

First off it’s much more meaningful if a coach is out there raising money. When wealthy folks get together, it gives them something to tell other wealthy folks. They can talk about how they know the coach personally/shook his hand.

IMO, I would think Corporations would be much more prone to dish out if they had a meeting with the coach. This is the guy representing the team/program. This is the guy that is going to put their money to work. The coach needs to be the salesman.

And as the article said, I’m pretty sure the AD set up the meeting with the Fed Ex CEO for Callipari. It’s probably rare that a corporation reaches out to a struggling program to offer substantial monetary support.

It wasn't what I would call being nice, but I think he was just jabbing you on your support of Lutz. I wouldn't have used the "word" schlong, but then I have a vast vocabulary from which to pull.

For the record, I never use that word, but for some reason it just felt appropriate for that post.

I wonder if CHP-Dubois is ever told by Erskine and Co not to "call on" certain people in CLT because it would interfere with Chapel Hill revenue?? dead serious btw.
I've wondered the same thing.

[QUOTE=metro;390953]I know that Jim Woodward used to put the brakes on athletic fundraising so it did not interfere with his building drives. Its fact.

I wonder if CHP-Dubois is ever told by Erskine and Co not to “call on” certain people in CLT because it would interfere with Chapel Hill revenue?? dead serious btw.[/QUOTE]

Fighting over donors? I’m shocked and appalled that this kind of thing would go on!

Fighting over donors? I'm shocked and appalled that this kind of thing would go on!

As if you would know…:smile:

Fighting over donors? I'm shocked and appalled that this kind of thing would go on!
I'm sure you are both shocked and appalled.