Is Charlotte or Nashville the new Atlanta?

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/nashville-and-charlotte-fighting-civic-supremacy

Some good points regarding our alma mater as well. I wish people in Charlotte would take it to heart and start supporting their city’s university

Odd. Article says Nashville has by far the better universities/colleges but at the same time says Charlotteans are better educated.

only beef I have is this:

On the collegiate level, Nashville offers a prestigious and well-established group of four-year institutions (Aquinas, Belmont, Fisk, Lipscomb, Tennessee State, Trevecca and Vanderbilt)[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

I see one prestigious school in that group

Nashville is one of my favorite cities…one thing they left out though is the homeless problem, if you are out at night in Nville, you get bombarded by the homeless people near the river

[quote=“luvmyniners, post:3, topic:23828”]only beef I have is this:

On the collegiate level, Nashville offers a prestigious and well-established group of four-year institutions (Aquinas, Belmont, Fisk, Lipscomb, Tennessee State, Trevecca and Vanderbilt)

I see one prestigious school in that group[/quote]

I also only see one prestigious school in that group. And that school only has 7k undergrad students, most of which leave town after graduating.

Probably a bit biased here, but I don’t quite see Nashville in Charlotte’s class. Charlotte has many top companies headquartered in its metro area while Nashville has a lot of government and healthcare jobs.

Funny, Ill be heading up to Nashvegas got a few days for work 13th-16th. Anybody got any suggestions as to what to see?

Can I get back the 10 minutes it took me to read that waste of bandwidth?

First, I don’t want Charlotte to become Atlanta. Second, what are we competing with Nashiville for? Perception? Third, and maybe I missed it, I didn’t see any good points about our alma mater.

[quote=“Cha_49, post:5, topic:23828”]Funny, Ill be heading up to Nashvegas got a few days for work 13th-16th. Anybody got any suggestions as to what to see?[/quote]Broadway St is alot of fun with a group, if you like beer and country music. Cadillac Ranch is good, my favorite bar is The Stage

[quote=“NovaNiner, post:4, topic:23828”][quote=“luvmyniners, post:3, topic:23828”]only beef I have is this:

On the collegiate level, Nashville offers a prestigious and well-established group of four-year institutions (Aquinas, Belmont, Fisk, Lipscomb, Tennessee State, Trevecca and Vanderbilt)

I also only see one prestigious school in that group. And that school only has 7k undergrad students, most of which leave town after graduating. [/quote]

I’m assuming you are talking about Vanderbilt. Belmont is a hell of a school. Very hard to get into.

I don’t really get the comparison other than maybe population.

I always looked at Nashville in the same light as Columbus or Indianapolis, capital cities in the same sort of region.

Nashville is state government and tourism, Charlotte is banking.

I have always been of the opinion that Charlotte needed to diversify its corporate identity. While banking is certainly a great niche, it is highly susceptible to drastic changes in the economy.

I would flood CHPs mailbox with this article highlighting the university part.

We need to face the fact that we are not yet a nationally recognized university, but before we can reach that level, we need to have our reputation increased within our own city.

[quote=“NovaNiner, post:4, topic:23828”][quote=“luvmyniners, post:3, topic:23828”]only beef I have is this:

I also only see one prestigious school in that group. And that school only has 7k undergrad students, most of which leave town after graduating.

Probably a bit biased here, but I don’t quite see Nashville in Charlotte’s class. Charlotte has many top companies headquartered in its metro area while Nashville has a lot of government and healthcare jobs.[/quote]

From a cultural point of view, I see it as the opposite. I see Nashville as a city that has far more character and history than Charlotte does. Nashville has an aged, interwoven urban and cultural fabric, where as Charlotte has… a cool neighborhood or two?

Charlotte, for the most part, is a hollow shell of a city in my opinion.

All CHP will say is:

“Well of course we’re not Vanderbilt, but look how much praise Chapel Hill gets!”

[quote=“swilson47, post:10, topic:23828”][quote=“NovaNiner, post:4, topic:23828”][quote=“luvmyniners, post:3, topic:23828”]only beef I have is this:

Probably a bit biased here, but I don’t quite see Nashville in Charlotte’s class. Charlotte has many top companies headquartered in its metro area while Nashville has a lot of government and healthcare jobs.[/quote]

From a cultural point of view, I see it as the opposite. I see Nashville as a city that has far more character and history than Charlotte does. Nashville has an aged, interwoven urban and cultural fabric, where as Charlotte has… a cool neighborhood or two?

Charlotte, for the most part, is a hollow shell of a city in my opinion.[/quote]

I have not been to Nashville, but from what I know you are probably correct.

Charlotte bulldozed most of its history and culture to become the banking city it has become. Only a select few World Class cities can achieve the true balance of the corporate world and maintain a rich cultural history.

swilson is about right

I live in Nashville now and it is definitely less urban than Charlotte but just has a lot more character. I don’t mean that to be a knock on Charlotte because I love Charlotte but they are pretty different cities.

i totally disagree. there are a ton of great neighborhoods in charlotte but most people dont go to them but would rather judge based on nothing. charlotte also happens to be growing much faster than nashville. of the two cities, charlotte is definitly more like atlanta and the more likely to be the next atlanta. to say that it is a hollow shell of a city is stupid, no offense and probably is because you havent explored the city enough. character is such a subjective thing to judge. i would venture to say that charlotte probably still has more historic landmarks than nashville but has also had more bulldozed.

Don’t forget Charlotte is NASCAR!

I think that what you will find in the next 10 to 20 years is Charlotte adding Energy related industries to the existing powers of Banking and NASCAR. EPIC would not be built if we didn’t already have Duke, Shaw and Areva pushing for it.

The sheer act of accusing me of making judgments on nothing is a judgement in and of itself and your argument should probably be disregarded because of this.

However, I have been in Charlotte for 4 years now and while that may not hold a candle to the experience of people that were born and raised here, I feel that I have a strong understanding of this city and I am not making judgements based on nothing. I have explored this city as a resident for my four years here and also as a worker, as I worked an ever changing delivery route which encompassed Charlotte and its surrounding suburbs. Sorry if I’m offending you with my opinion, but in comparison to other cities of its size and larger, Charlotte has no heart and is not nearly as bold of a city.

Of course this is subjective, the entire topic is subjective. It’s an opinion and therefore it cannot be objective.

And to argue that a city has more character and history based on its number of landmarks is absolutely absurd. I’m arguing based on my time spent in both cities and the culture of their social geography.

i much prefer charlotte become the next san diego or san francisco. but that may be tough to accomplish.

Asheville has dibs on the new SF- we’ve already got the gays and rhastas

LK, SF, really? REALLY?