Is Charlotte or Nashville the new Atlanta?

maybe not for the city itself. but for all the stuff within a fairly short drive of the city. muir woods. napa valley. monterrrey peninsula. 2 mlb teams. the coastline. yosimite. tahoe. etc.

I think the city has some decent nooks, as in singular bars/hangouts/etc., but as far as a fabric from neighborhood to neighborhood, the cultural fabric is nowhere as definitive as other cities I’ve been to. Then again most of those cities didn’t bulldoze half their cities in the last 50 years. I don’t think Charlotte is bad, but I also don’t find it overly fascinating either.

maybe not for the city itself. but for all the stuff within a fairly short drive of the city. muir woods. napa valley. monterrrey peninsula. 2 mlb teams. the coastline. yosimite. tahoe. etc.[/quote]

Well… we have Gastonia

I think Charlotte is pretty awesome, but it isn’t a city that throws itself out there like other cities in this discussion. You really have to work to enjoy yourself in Charlotte, but there are a lot of awesome things to do.

maybe not for the city itself. but for all the stuff within a fairly short drive of the city. muir woods. napa valley. monterrrey peninsula. 2 mlb teams. the coastline. yosimite. tahoe. etc.[/quote]

Well… we have Gastonia[/quote]

good point.

are you saying asheville is the new chapel hill?

Lighten up Francis. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like Nashville and would be happy living there. I have always thought that it seemed like they had more independent restaurants than Charlotte does but I came back here from 10 years in Raleigh and the triangle blows Charlotte away on that front. I think for most people it is the everyday living that should matter most and Charlotte is a very livable city. Nashville too. Going to the beach from Nashville though requires a week’s vacation, whereas we can do it for a weekend. That has to count for something.

Lighten up Francis. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like Nashville and would be happy living there. I have always thought that it seemed like they had more independent restaurants than Charlotte does but I came back here from 10 years in Raleigh and the triangle blows Charlotte away on that front. I think for most people it is the everyday living that should matter most and Charlotte is a very livable city. Nashville too. Going to the beach from Nashville though requires a week’s vacation, whereas we can do it for a weekend. That has to count for something.[/quote]

Raleigh feels like it is loaded with chains, but Durham (and to a lesser extent Chapel Hill) are loaded with quality independant restaurants.

I would agree, but going from North Raleigh to Chapel Hill and Durham was pretty easy, and no more of a drive than getting across Charlotte. I have been back in the Queen city for 15 years but Raleigh has the Irregardless Cafe, 42nd Street Oyster Bar, Char-Grill, Angus Barn, and Big Ed’s City Market–all killers in their respective niches.

That’s true, this area feels so small time compared to living in Charlotte. I get mad when I have to wait in traffic here.

Hey if I go to a chain, I know what I’m getting. I like knowing I’ll like a dish BEFORE I go to spend my hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You indies can like my corporate sell-out nutz! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Atlanta is the new Atlanta. Charlotte will never become Atlanta, unless it is divided into a 10’X53’ grid and shipped to Fulton county Georgia. But unless that happens I wouldn’t concern myself with becoming Atlanta. Atlanta isn’t that great of a city any way, so who cares? I mean if you are a huge fan of sprawling skyscrapers, traffic and extreme heat ATL is your place.

Personally I like charlotte it’s a nice city, it has potential, but it is definitely not metropolitan by any stretch of the imagination. Right now all it has is some nice rich neighborhoods, a pedestrianless cityscape and some interesting places here and there. And even if Charlotte is declared better by the mayor of Nashville is that going to improve your life? Probably not. So what is with all these comparisons?

are you saying asheville is the new chapel hill?[/quote]

HATER! Their aint no queers in Chapel Hill.

HATER! Their aint no queers in Chapel Hill.[/quote]

Sorry, but it’s been scientifically proven there are plenty of gays in Chapel Hill.

[size=20px]http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1582336,00.html
[/size]

[size=2px][/size]

HATER! Their aint no queers in Chapel Hill.[/quote]

Sorry, but it’s been scientifically proven there are plenty of gays in Chapel Hill.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1582336,00.html

[/quote]

They could not have picked a more appropriate mascot.

CHARLOTTE LOSES THIS ONE. No way we are the next Atlanta. The Atlanta Journal Constitution was heavily in favor of GA State getting football, and GA State did not have any pushback from UGA-Athens. The result, over 30,000 for their first home game. That’s more than double the number of fans we can possibly have.

[quote=“unccccc, post:32, topic:23828”]I think Atlanta is the new Atlanta. Charlotte will never become Atlanta, unless it is divided into a 10’X53’ grid and shipped to Fulton county Georgia. But unless that happens I wouldn’t concern myself with becoming Atlanta. Atlanta isn’t that great of a city any way, so who cares? I mean if you are a huge fan of sprawling skyscrapers, traffic and extreme heat ATL is your place.

Personally I like charlotte it’s a nice city, it has potential, but it is definitely not metropolitan by any stretch of the imagination. Right now all it has is some nice rich neighborhoods, a pedestrianless cityscape and some interesting places here and there. And even if Charlotte is declared better by the mayor of Nashville is that going to improve your life? Probably not. So what is with all these comparisons?[/quote]
Dude’s trollin.

I think Charlotte is pretty awesome, but it isn’t a city that throws itself out there like other cities in this discussion. You really have to work to enjoy yourself in Charlotte, but there are a lot of awesome things to do.[/quote]

Exactly, it doesn’t beat you over the head with things, and honestly that sucks at times, b/c I wish there were really apparent things to do when I have visitors outside of Panther games and Epicentre. I think it all really depends on your taste. I just have a really broad swath of taste when it comes to those things so on some nights NoDa is fine, others I want to go downtown, other nights somewhere off Central is fine, and when it’s warm out going up by the Lake is good. I think mostly for me it’s just a mood thing.

[quote=“49or bust, post:37, topic:23828”][quote=“unccccc, post:32, topic:23828”]I think Atlanta is the new Atlanta. Charlotte will never become Atlanta, unless it is divided into a 10’X53’ grid and shipped to Fulton county Georgia. But unless that happens I wouldn’t concern myself with becoming Atlanta. Atlanta isn’t that great of a city any way, so who cares? I mean if you are a huge fan of sprawling skyscrapers, traffic and extreme heat ATL is your place.

Personally I like charlotte it’s a nice city, it has potential, but it is definitely not metropolitan by any stretch of the imagination. Right now all it has is some nice rich neighborhoods, a pedestrianless cityscape and some interesting places here and there. And even if Charlotte is declared better by the mayor of Nashville is that going to improve your life? Probably not. So what is with all these comparisons?[/quote]
Dude’s trollin.[/quote]

Actually, I kinda agree with him. Aside from the fact that they can actually get bands I’d pay to see, I prefer Charlotte. Just too hot and way too much traffic there.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:39, topic:23828”][quote=“49or bust, post:37, topic:23828”][quote=“unccccc, post:32, topic:23828”]I think Atlanta is the new Atlanta. Charlotte will never become Atlanta, unless it is divided into a 10’X53’ grid and shipped to Fulton county Georgia. But unless that happens I wouldn’t concern myself with becoming Atlanta. Atlanta isn’t that great of a city any way, so who cares? I mean if you are a huge fan of sprawling skyscrapers, traffic and extreme heat ATL is your place.

Dude’s trollin.[/quote]

Actually, I kinda agree with him. Aside from the fact that they can actually get bands I’d pay to see, I prefer Charlotte. Just too hot and way too much traffic there.[/quote]
So when you go downtown, you never see tons of people on the streets? And Atlanta has WAY more skyscrapers than Charlotte? Charlotte isn’t even close to the definition of metropolitan, but Atlanta is? All we have is some rich neighborhoods? Are you serious?

HIS NAME IS “UNCCCCC!”