Is it possible, DeMarco a Bobcat?

I talked recently with someone who went to high school w/ Demarco and also talked to DeMarco the other day, and he’s hopeful about the situation. I didn’t get any specifics, but I think this would be a better PR and business pickup for the Bobcats than Rodney White.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed…first of all that DeMarco is in shape!! And second that he gets a shot. If he’s in shape and gets a shot, I know he can play in this watered-down NBA.

when i saw him play in that jeff mcinnis pro-am league last summer, he was not in shape at all. hopefully he has been working his ass off since then, i would love to see him on the court for the bobcats

What is “in shape” for DeMarco? His playing days? I always thought he carried about 15 more pounds than would have been optimal.

Like I’d ever tell him though. It was a real priviledge watching him play. Hope to be doing it again at the highest level. I remember watching him in a Knick’s game scoring on a put-back and going nuts. :smiley:

Wish he got a better shot.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 19 2004, 08:23 AM [b] I talked recently with someone who went to high school w/ Demarco and also talked to DeMarco the other day, and he's hopeful about the situation. I didn't get any specifics, but I think this would be a better PR and business pickup for the Bobcats than Rodney White.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed…first of all that DeMarco is in shape!! And second that he gets a shot. If he’s in shape and gets a shot, I know he can play in this watered-down NBA. [/b]

I don’t really think that the Bobcats are looking to ex-49ers for PR and ticket sales. We only draw about 7000 to our own games and how many of those would actually buy a ticket for an evening that will cost about 10 times as much as a Niner game to see Demarco play? Not enough to even be noticable is the correct answer to that question. They could put 5 ex-49ers on the court and there would be nobody in the seats.
Sadly, the only people really interested in seeing Henry or Demarco in a Bobcat uniform is the people on this board and a handful outside of this forum.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jun 20 2004, 09:00 PM [b]I don't really think that the Bobcats are looking to ex-49ers for PR and ticket sales. We only draw about 7000 to our own games and how many of those would actually buy a ticket for an evening that will cost about 10 times as much as a Niner game to see Demarco play? Not enough to even be noticable is the correct answer to that question. They could put 5 ex-49ers on the court and there would be nobody in the seats. Sadly, the only people really interested in seeing Henry or Demarco in a Bobcat uniform is the people on this board and a handful outside of this forum.[/b]
Valid points, but I don't think the possibility of DeMarco, Rodney or Henry getting a chance to play for the Bobcats is because they played at Charlotte, it's more of a situation where one more team means more dilution of talent. If DeMarco can't stay on an NBA roster when there are 29 teams, his chances of making a roster with 30 teams increases(if only slightly). Also don't discount the local influence, somebody in the Bobcats will know about our program and will suggest that the Bobcats at least give DeMarco a chance or suggest that they look at Rodney as a FA....neither will get signed because they played here, but they may get a chance because they played here, and who knows what either will do with a chance(DeMarco might make the team and Rodney might finally get serious minutes).

But you are definitely right, signing a 49er isn’t going to make a dent in ticket sales. We can’t give away however many thousand tickets are reserved for students each home game, trying to sell tickets for 49er fans to watch their ex-players sit on the bench isn’t going to work out too well…

[b]We only draw about 7000 to our own games and how many of those would actually buy a ticket for an evening that will cost about 10 times as much as a Niner game to see Demarco play? Not enough to even be noticable is the correct answer to that question. They could put 5 ex-49ers on the court and there would be nobody in the seats. [/b]

The Bobcats are fighting against pre-conceived impressions based on the Shinn-led Hornets. They’ve sold a whopping 5000 season tickets so far. I’m sure they would work any angle that might allow them to sell 50 more season tickets right now. I read in the paper they’re just trying to get to 7500.

DeMarco grew up here, played his college ball here, and still comes back to play in the summer. Believe it or not, he has a following in Charlotte. Much moreso than Rodney White who was only here for a minute.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 07:46 AM [b]
[b]We only draw about 7000 to our own games and how many of those would actually buy a ticket for an evening that will cost about 10 times as much as a Niner game to see Demarco play? Not enough to even be noticable is the correct answer to that question. They could put 5 ex-49ers on the court and there would be nobody in the seats. [/b]

The Bobcats are fighting against pre-conceived impressions based on the Shinn-led Hornets. They’ve sold a whopping 5000 season tickets so far. I’m sure they would work any angle that might allow them to sell 50 more season tickets right now. I read in the paper they’re just trying to get to 7500.

DeMarco grew up here, played his college ball here, and still comes back to play in the summer. Believe it or not, he has a following in Charlotte. Much moreso than Rodney White who was only here for a minute. [/b]

I agree. If they added Jamison, Demarco and Rodney, I guarantee the trio would create a buzz and sell more tickets. Plus the local image improves. I don’t think it happens, however.

Anybody know what Colson is up to? He’s short for a guard but I seem to remember him getting a couple of 10 day waivers in the past. He’d make a good 2nd to 3rd string pg, especially on an expansion team.

According to a Charlotte Business Journal piece from their June 11th edition, the Bobcats have already sold 7,500 season tix.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jun 21 2004, 08:05 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jun 21 2004, 08:05 AM)

DeMarco makes the roster, I’m a season ticket owner. That’s just me I wouldn’t expect others to feel the same way. The scrubs in the NBA are the same chumps at the end of the bench year in, year out. They just change names on occassion.

Oh look at that, it’s Amal McCaskill time! Bah.

I wonder if the reason he’s never had a shot with another team is the benjamins, and not wanting to risk playing with a non-guaranteed contract when he can be guaranteed across the pond.

what is curtis nash up to? he could be a bobcat.

Bobcast mascot maybe.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi+Jun 21 2004, 08:30 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erpi @ Jun 21 2004, 08:30 AM)
Originally posted by LeftyNiner@Jun 21 2004, 08:05 AM [b]
[b]Lefty, outside of this board no one in the city could tell you who Demarco Johnson is [/b]

That’s the definition of ignorance…without knowledge.

Do you really think that there aren’t people in this city who have followed the career of DeMarco Johnson?? Are you serious??

They add Pino Pipes and the guy from Puerto Rico and I will buy tickets. :toast:

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 02:24 PM [b] Do you really think that there aren't people in this city who have followed the career of DeMarco Johnson?? Are you serious?? [/b]

DJ is the second thing out of most non-fans’ lips when I talk about the Niners, right after Coach Lutz, and a while before Rodney’s name pops up.

DJ still has some cache in this town, though he is in the twilight of it, due to being in Europe for so long.

I think Lefty hit the marketing nail on the head when he said they could do it by signing that trio (or even 2 of them IMO) and labeling them as hometown boys after one fashion or another. That would probably sell a couple hundred extra season tix. They aren’t headliners, but people love the hometown boy gone and made it big type story.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 09:24 AM [b]
[b]Lefty, outside of this board no one in the city could tell you who Demarco Johnson is [/b]

Do you really think that there aren’t people in this city who have followed the career of DeMarco Johnson?? Are you serious?? [/b]

Yes I am serious. Obviously there are some people in this town, outside of the University, that recognize Demarco’s name but certainly not enough to make a difference in season tix. Being familiar with a guys name and being a big enough fan of that guy to purchase season tix are two completely different things. Thinking that signing Demarco is a strong PR move and would boost season ticket sales is ignorant. He is not good enough to start in the NBA and he is not popular enough in this town to get people to buy tickets. We couldn’t sell out Halton when he was dominating CUSA, how can he sell Bobcat tickets sitting on the end of the bench?

Here’s my original statement PI

[b]

I talked recently with someone who went to high school w/ Demarco and also talked to DeMarco the other day, and he’s hopeful about the situation. I didn’t get any specifics, but I think this would be a better PR and business pickup for the Bobcats than Rodney White. [/b]

All I was saying was that DeMarco was hopeful and that I thought signing him would make more sense than Rodney White. I was only comparing to White because it’s been said many times on this and the old board that it would be cool for White to be a Bobcat.

DeMarco WOULD cost less, and DeMarco DOES have more of a following in Charlotte b/c it’s where he’s from and to my knowledge, where he lives.

Further…I was saying that the Bobcats seem desperate to sell season tix and if this signing meant they sold 50 or 100 more, it would be a good thing for them.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 09:24 AM [b]

Do you really think that there aren’t people in this city who have followed the career of DeMarco Johnson?? Are you serious?? [/b]

Pi is dead on. The only potential tix Demarco sells for the Bobcats is North Meck grads and people on this board. Though he is one of my all time favorites.

No Niner stirs fan interest for the Bobcats. You guys are kidding yourselves.

I do think that Henry Williams has enough class, appropriate image (no thug gear), and savvy to help the Bobcat’s image locally. He could be another Dell Curry type, IMO. Though he must be about 35 by now. Henry can light up a TV camera.