Iti's transferring

[i]Originally posted by Florida49er[/i]@May 4 2005, 10:30 AM [b] For a kid who didn't play basketball all his life (and if he did, it was overseas/in the midst of transfers), I thought Iti had some potential. He could pass w/in the post and you can't teach his length. That said, he wasn't a beast, he wasn't real aggressive and he lacked fundamentals in the worst way. I'd like to see guys like this hang around and buy into the program and get better, but it seems like most of them just want to leave. I guess that's the way it is with most players who are just looking for PT. [/b]
Agree.

Iti was getting really bad advice. He should have gone to a big man camp last summer and not to the draft camps. He was trying to be an offensive player and he just doesnā€™t have the skills.

I would have loved to see him develop into a Ben Wallace type. Tenacious in the paint, rebounding and blocking shots, getting his points on clean up. But when the guy is practicing jumpers all summer long and not developing a post game thatā€™s not going to happen.

Good luck to him.

Part of the problem with Iti wasnā€™t his own doing ā€“ all the hype surrounding him coming out of Mount Zion. From the exaggerated height (heā€™s really 6-9, not 7-0) to ESPN.comā€™s top center prospect, we really had our hopes up for something that didnā€™t exist. If Iti had come in to Charlotte a la Jermain Parker ā€“ unheralded but showing potential, then much of the venom directed his way over the past 2 years would have been nonexistent.

Anyway, I wish him all the best.

GO NINERS!

I think Iti has been playing organized basketball longer than Eddie. Seriously.

A couple more thoughts on Jenaā€™s piece. She sort of said he wasnā€™t 7 foot, but didnā€™t really admit that The Observer had spent all of last season giving out bogus info on that even after the NBA Pre-Draft Camp proved him to be 6-9 in shoes and 6-8 barefooted. Also, she wrote that he didnā€™t start the last game of the season, implying that it had to do with coachā€™s dissatisfaction, when, in fact, Iti didnā€™t start against Southern Miss so that Chris Sager could on Senior Day.

Just being picky, I supposeā€¦

Iti is only about 6ā€™ 9". But, with his long arms and aggression, he plays a good 6ā€™ 3".

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@May 4 2005, 11:19 AM [b] A couple more thoughts on Jena's piece. She sort of said he wasn't 7 foot, but didn't really admit that The Observer had spent all of last season giving out bogus info on that even after the NBA Pre-Draft Camp proved him to be 6-9 in shoes and 6-8 barefooted. Also, she wrote that he didn't start the last game of the season, implying that it had to do with coach's dissatisfaction, when, in fact, Iti didn't start against Southern Miss so that Chris Sager could on Senior Day.

Just being picky, I supposeā€¦ [/b]

Well Iti may not be 7ā€™0 but if heā€™s 6ā€™8 barefooted, what are Curtis and the other big men on our team?

I wish Iti well and think this is a good decision for him personally. If his eventual goal is to play in the NBA, he needs as much time to develop as possible. Transferring gives him another year to build muscle and to develop. I think his best option is to go to a lower tier Division 1 school (John Calipari take note) where he will get much more playing time and develop more confidence around the basket.

Say what you wantā€¦but Iti leaving is not good for the Niners. I can see other coaches using this against us in recruiting in years to come.

Wade Heliwellā€¦now Martin Itiā€¦

Please God, no more Aussies!!! Weā€™ve hit our quota on 7-Foot Down Under Stiffs! No more!!!
-G-

[b]I would have loved to see him develop into a Ben Wallace type. [/b]

:lmao:

Yeah, me too. I also would have loved to see him develop into a Lew Alcindor type.

Anyways, thank the lord this guy is gone. It would kill me (and tons of other fans) watching him play, imagine how disheartening it would be playing with this bum. Seriously.

Good luck to him in the future, wherever he goes.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@May 4 2005, 12:19 PM [b] Also, she wrote that he didn't start the last game of the season, implying that it had to do with coach's dissatisfaction, when, in fact, Iti didn't start against Southern Miss so that Chris Sager could on Senior Day. [/b]

I think she was talking about him not starting against NC State. I think Drayton started instead. I donā€™t know if it was due to coachā€™s dissatisfaction or not, but I was happy to finally see it. This move was long overdue.

[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles+May 4 2005, 01:02 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mr. Bojangles @ May 4 2005, 01:02 PM)
[i]Originally posted by ninermike[/i]@May 4 2005, 12:26 PM [b] Say what you want...but Iti leaving is not good for the Niners. I can see other coaches using this against us in recruiting in years to come. [/b]
Good point but we do well with versatile big men who can play: Johnson, Price, Stephens, White, Withers, Drayton. There just aren't that many talented post men in college basketball. Lutz likes long guys who can run and shoot. We'll continue to do well with those. See Keith Clark, Mike Beasley, Courtney Williams.

From a GW fan on the A-10 message board:

[b]We picked up a center a couple of years ago (Jaaron Greene) whose main claim to fame was that he was the backup to the great Martin Iti at Mt Zion. He barely sniffed the court in his freshman season and wasn't with the team the second half of last year.[/b]

Charlotteā€™s Martin Iti to transfer

BTW, an X fan suggested that Iti join Churchill Odia at Oregon! :stuck_out_tongue:

Breaking newsā€¦ Martin Iti has decided to transfer to the west charlotte womens team, apparently a starting position is not guaranteed. More info as it develops.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@May 4 2005, 11:19 AM [b] A couple more thoughts on Jena's piece. She sort of said he wasn't 7 foot, but didn't really admit that The Observer had spent all of last season giving out bogus info on that even after the NBA Pre-Draft Camp proved him to be 6-9 in shoes and 6-8 barefooted. Also, she wrote that he didn't start the last game of the season, implying that it had to do with coach's dissatisfaction, when, in fact, Iti didn't start against Southern Miss so that Chris Sager could on Senior Day.

Just being picky, I supposeā€¦ [/b]

I thought he didnā€™t start against UNC-Raleigh and thatā€™s what she was implying.

[i]Originally posted by dax[/i]@May 4 2005, 03:05 AM [b] it does take point guards a year or two before they become great point guards. Bobby will get him in the right mold here sooner or later. [/b]

What? Bobby doesnt have a mold for a point guard! What the hell are you talking about? He also doesnt have a mold for a center. Lutz really doesnt mold anybody. He gives them access to the facilities and free will on the court. Charlotte players develop themselves.

Martin Stinks. Rosegreen Stinks. Lutz Stinks.

Why the hell did this kid come here in the first place? Oh yeah, to lead us to a final four. :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@May 4 2005, 11:14 AM [b] I think Iti has been playing organized basketball longer than Eddie. Seriously. [/b]
According to espn.com, Iti started playing bball at age 14. There's tons of kids like that who have potential and never pan out - now we know another one. Tim Duncan would be the obvious exception to that rule.

And Eddie > Iti, in every way.

Although I thought Martin sucked the big oneā€¦I do hate to see ANYONE leave the programā€¦it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

[b]Breaking news............. Martin Iti has decided to transfer to the west charlotte womens team, apparently a starting position is not guaranteed. More info as it develops. [/b]

Are we talking about the softball team. They could use the help.