It's not as bad here as it is at UNCW... yet.

AD Kelly Mehrtens at UNC Wilmington is down to at least choice #7 and still getting a “no” from everyone.

The rejections: Danny Manning (Kansas assistant), Phil Ford (you know where), Joe Dooley (Kansas assistant, former UNCW assistant), Brad Brownell (Wright State, former UNCW coach), Rodney Terry (Texas assistant, former UNCW assistant), Norm Roberts (fired at St. Johns)

The current list: Dave Odom, Jerry Dunn (Michigan assistant), Ed Conroy (The Citadel), Mike Lonergan (Vermont).

It looks like Mehrtens thought her previous time at Kansas would help. It didn’t. One drawback appears to the the salary being offered, $225-250K with few perks. The last numbers I found for Dooley and Manning were $234K. Brownell was offered $225 to remain at UNCW and he refused, figure he’s at about $350K minimum.

Why is this number public since it looks so bad? Is there not a way to go through this process and just come out with a new coach and no list of prospects who rejected?

[quote=“HP49er, post:1, topic:22853”]AD Kelly Mehrtens at UNC Wilmington is down to at least choice #7 and still getting a “no” from everyone.

The rejections: Danny Manning (Kansas assistant), Phil Ford (you know where), Joe Dooley (Kansas assistant, former UNCW assistant), Brad Brownell (Wright State, former UNCW coach), Rodney Terry (Texas assistant, former UNCW assistant), Norm Roberts (fired at St. Johns)

The current list: Dave Odom, Jerry Dunn (Michigan assistant), Ed Conroy (The Citadel), Mike Lonergan (Vermont).

It looks like Mehrtens thought her previous time at Kansas would help. It didn’t. One drawback appears to the the salary being offered, $225-250K with few perks. The last numbers I found for Dooley and Manning were $234K. Brownell was offered $225 to remain at UNCW and he refused, figure he’s at about $350K minimum.[/quote]

Brownell feuded with the AD at UNCW hence the reason he refused the offer, at least that’s what I’ve heard from UNCW alums. BTW, the number from a year ago was Brownell was at 365K.

People are talking, the reporter is writing. I doubt Mehrtens wants the info out but it is. What’s the difference of this and you wanting to know who the 49er candidates are? Yes it looks bad, we got two names, ours looks bad at the moment too, although neither has turned the job down (if offered).

People are talking, the reporter is writing. I doubt Mehrtens wants the info out but it is. What’s the difference of this and you wanting to know who the 49er candidates are? Yes it looks bad, we got two names, ours looks bad at the moment too, although neither has turned the job down (if offered).[/quote]
Hmm… I’m perceiving our situation and UNCW’s differently. When I read about UNCW, it sounds like they have a set list and have been asking people from that list and are being shot down. For us, I do not know that the names we have are anywhere near the top of our list nor that our list is complete (or if some of the names I have been hearing are even on our list).

I also did not know that we had two confirmed names or who they are, but if they are who I think they are, I’m thinking they aren’t even legit contenders.

I know UNCW just fired a former Charlotte coach but if they are on their 7th choice they should consider Lutz.

I’m surprised Lutz hasn’t gotten a call yet. Don’t know how similar his and Benny’s systems are, but Wilmington should consider Bobby unless they are dead set against hiring someone with ties to Moss.

Maybe Bobby doesn’t want to coach at UNCW?

Doubt Bobby would take a job at a school that ran off one of his guys, especially mid-season.

IMO, firing a coach mid-season severely damages your chances at picking up a good coach afterwards. No one wants to work for someone who won’t let him finish the season out.

Look at Penders, he may have still gotten fired in the end, but he now has one more conference championship and NCAA appearance to his name, and the fanbase had something to cheer about.

I think it’s time UNCW stop targeting the bigger targets and start going after successful low major or DII coaches. Their salary offer is not much more than some assistants get at larger schools.

There are some interesting numbers in this Wilmington blog. Also some indications on how much Charlotte should be spending as well.

How UNCW figures in CAA money game

Plus UNCW sucks.

IMO, firing a coach mid-season severely damages your chances at picking up a good coach afterwards. No one wants to work for someone who won’t let him finish the season out.

Look at Penders, he may have still gotten fired in the end, but he now has one more conference championship and NCAA appearance to his name, and the fanbase had something to cheer about.[/quote]

Whittenburg could have done that to, those feisty rams couldn’t wait though.

Look at Penders, he may have still gotten fired in the end, but he now has one more conference championship and NCAA appearance to his name, and the fanbase had something to cheer about.[/quote]

Why is everyone saying Penders got fired? He retired. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5018573

Whittenburg could have done that to, those feisty rams couldn’t wait though.[/quote]
That’s kind of a leap, don’t you think?

Why is everyone saying Penders got fired? He retired. [url=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5018573]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5018573[/url][/quote]

He was forced out.

“Retired” is a nice way of saying your AD told you at the beginning of the season that you would not return next year.

[quote=“hootie, post:9, topic:22853”]Look at Penders, he may have still gotten fired in the end, but he now has one more conference championship and NCAA appearance to his name, and the fanbase had something to cheer about.
[/quote]What little is left of it, which is one of the reasons why he wasn’t retained.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:14, topic:22853”]Whittenburg could have done that to, those feisty rams couldn’t wait though.[/quote]Say what?! Whit had his chance and he squandered it. That senior-laden team led by Bryant Dunston should have vied for an A-10 championship in 2008. Instead, it finished 6-10 in 12th place (12-17 overall). How many more 2-win (2008-09) and 3-win (2009-10) seasons should DW have been given? Geez!

It looks like UNCW has finally made an offer to Ed Conroy of The Citadel. Now the question is, will he take it.

UNC Wilmington offers Conroy job
, Charleston Post and Courier