Javarris Barnett - 2007 F/G

This kid sounds like the real deal.

A kid this smart should hopefully not make the same mistake Mike Jones and so many other kids have made. It’s not like the NBA cares where you play anymore. If you can play, they have guys making thousands who will know about you. So you’re much better off getting PT right away at a school like ours than riding the pine at some place like Syracuse or the ACC.

Lots of playing time exposure > name association 2 years of bench riding.

This kid sounds like the real deal.

A kid this smart should hopefully not make the same mistake Mike Jones and so many other kids have made. It’s not like the NBA cares where you play anymore. If you can play, they have guys making thousands who will know about you. So you’re much better off getting PT right away at a school like ours than riding the pine at some place like Syracuse or the ACC.

Lots of playing time exposure > name association 2 years of bench riding.

Indisputable…

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;209812]This kid sounds like the real deal.

Lots of playing time exposure > name association 2 years of bench riding.[/QUOTE]
Spoken for Truth!

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;209812]This kid sounds like the real deal.

Lots of playing time exposure > name association 2 years of bench riding.[/QUOTE]

Unless of course you’re a marginal talent. Take Greg Paulus as an example. Playing with finishers Shelden Williams and J.J. Redick at Duke last year, he looked like a pretty good point guard. This year, not so much. You need talent around you, at least some. And if you’re not a guard, you need someone to feed you the ball in the right places.

It’s true that NBA scouts will find you whereever, but NBA draft picks still don’t come from whereever very often. Bradley and Temple were the only non-BCS schools to have first-round picks in 2006, and Louisiana Tech and GW were the only ones in the second round. That’s out of 60 picks and compares with 16 foreign players not from U.S. colleges or universities.

I wonder what Barnett wants to study?

We do have some kickbutt programs that can compete with anyone in the Carolinas.

And not too much (10 guys ahead of you), like Mike Jones. That’s the point. Play here now or sit for years and hope you don’t get recruited over. That’s the mistake a lot of these kids are making. Be a star here or sit behind 10 McD’s AA’s at Duke.

Didnt stop Eddie Basden, Rodney White, or soon, DeAngelo. Didn’t stop Demarco either, he was just too slow. Might have something to do with the fact that there are plenty of good guards in college. That’s not an issue.

I cant take you seriously anymore. Where did Adam Morrison play Mike? Where was he drafted?

I rest my case.

Kevin Martin.

Mike, your just restating the point NA is arguing against.

If you could be drafted and sit or be drafted and play, what would you opt?
If your decision was clouded by a perception that you have to go to a BCS school to be drafted, isn’t that something worth trying to fight?

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;209855]Kevin Martin.[/QUOTE]

[Field of Dreams voice] If you can play, the scouts will find you… [/field of dreams voice]

Seriously. The only real risk is not getting a chance to get on the court. That’s what happened to Mike Jones @ Syracuse. He shoulda come here.

We all make choices in life. Sometimes they’re not the ones our parents would want us to make, much less the ones anonymous people on a school-tinted message board would make.

Everybody wants to compete at the highest level they can, whether it's in basketball or law school. You want to believe you're as good as anyone, and sometimes that gets in the way of common sense.

Put another way, if Chris Leak had gone to Wake Forest, where he originally committed, would he be where he is today? Perhaps he’d have the same NFL prospects, perhaps not. I can’t imagine he’d have been in that game last night, though. He wanted to be measured against the best, so he went to the SEC, where the country’s best football is played. And he came out OK.

speaking of chris leak he will be on leno tonight. with his brother cj

Put another way, if Chris Leak had gone to Wake Forest, where he originally committed, would he be where he is today? Perhaps he'd have the same NFL prospects, perhaps not. I can't imagine he'd have been in that game last night, though. He wanted to be measured against the best, so he went to the SEC, where the country's best football is played. And he came out OK.

He was also by most accounts the absolute best QB prospect. What about those that clearly aren’t, but are lied to by assistants and told they are? What would you put more weight into: A Boheim assistant telling a Mike Jones he’ll play immediately or Moxley or Lutz telling a recruit they’ll play immediately?

Put another way, if Chris Leak had gone to Wake Forest, where he originally committed, would he be where he is today? Perhaps he'd have the same NFL prospects, perhaps not. I can't imagine he'd have been in that game last night, though. He wanted to be measured against the best, so he went to the SEC, where the country's best football is played. And he came out OK.

He was pretty lucky though, all considered. He was questioned a lot this year. And, he had a few pretty poor performances. A lot of people were wanting Tebow back there. He almost didn’t make it to that game.

Having said that, the championship game was the best I have personally ever seen him play.
Strange because in the past it always looked like he choked under pressure… then again those games were against SEC teams that could actually blitz successfully against Florida.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;209869]He was also by most accounts the absolute best QB prospect. What about those that clearly aren’t, but are lied to by assistants and told they are? What would you put more weight into: A Boheim assistant telling a Mike Jones he’ll play immediately or Moxley or Lutz telling a recruit they’ll play immediately?[/QUOTE]

As long as I’ve been in this business, I wouldn’t believe ANY coach who told a kid he’d play immediately. You can’t know that until the kid gets on campus.

Football coaches, in particular, mislead kids all the time. They’re recruit five kids to play quarterback, for example, knowing three of them can’t and will have to switch to another position, then get the kids on campus, put them in practice against players they knew were superior quarterbacks anyway, and wait for the kid to come and request a position change.

Buyer beware with coaches. Their motive is to recruit kids to help them save their very lucrative jobs, and sometimes they’ll stretch the truth, at best, to do that. And that’s not restricted to any school. I believe they all mislead to some extent.

He was also by most accounts the absolute best QB prospect. What about those that clearly aren't, but are lied to by assistants and told they are? What would you put more weight into: A Boheim assistant telling a Mike Jones he'll play immediately or Moxley or Lutz telling a recruit they'll play immediately?

I agree with you that Moxley would obviously be the better choice and you would have the best chance of actually getting to play.

However, I can see why a kid would not understand because of what Mike was saying:

and, thus, make the wrong decision… well, a decision that may not benefit your future as much.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;209864]Put another way, if Chris Leak had gone to Wake Forest, where he originally committed[/QUOTE]
Mike, did he ever commit to Wake? I knew Chris and CJ and I recall Wake offered a scholarship to CJ and something about he said he wanted them to offer his brother one too before he would accept. So they did. That was when everyone thought CJ was the best ever so it was a step out there for Wake.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;209871]As long as I’ve been in this business, I wouldn’t believe ANY coach who told a kid he’d play immediately. You can’t know that until the kid gets on campus.

Football coaches, in particular, mislead kids all the time. They’re recruit five kids to play quarterback, for example, knowing three of them can’t and will have to switch to another position, then get the kids on campus, put them in practice against players they knew were superior quarterbacks anyway, and wait for the kid to come and request a position change.

Buyer beware with coaches. Their motive is to recruit kids to help them save their very lucrative jobs, and sometimes they’ll stretch the truth, at best, to do that. And that’s not restricted to any school. I believe they all mislead to some extent.[/QUOTE]
See Nick Saban

I agree completely with that. If you were led to believe, by whatever means, that you could play big minutes at Syracuse, of course you would be foolish not to go there. Except Syracuse has a history of players falling out of Boehim’s favor and rotting at the end of the bench. Even Otto Orange will tell you that. Drives me nuts we lose a player to Syracuse being 750 miles from Jone’s home.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;209873]Mike, did he ever commit to Wake? [/QUOTE]

From the story about the offer the week it was made:

Curtis Leak, who said South Carolina also offered Chris a scholarship, says his son plans to sign with Wake Forest in four years, provided (Jim) Caldwell is still coach.

That’s right. Thank you. Of course he was a freshman at the time. Now that we’ve hijacked this thread… Let’s get back on topic… [B]Javarris Bennet[/B]