Javarris Barnett - 2007 F/G

Anthony Morrow would be another good example. He’d probably be a star on your team this year, but is averaging about 15 minutes at Georgia Tech. Bright lights, big city, and from where he sits he gets a good view of the game. But who knows what played into his decision. Maybe he wanted to be farther from home. I wouldn’t have wanted to go to college in the town where I went to high school. It was time to get away. But that’s me …

Of course, looking at the contrary, David Booker. It’s obvious why he isn’t starting and I’m prett sure he is in competition for a starting spot next year, but I’m sure he choose us because he wanted pt. Nothing is final until… well ever. Carlos doesn’t start, but Ian does… It’s college Basketball!

But with Booker, we don’t have nearly the ability to recruit “over” him that a Syracuse does, and did, with Jones.

Clemson is doing the same thing already to Demontez Stit and he hasn’t even played a game yet.’

But actually getting back on topic, if we lose this guy, I won’t cry. I want players of his ability from the local region, but it looks like we’re getting in on him late and if we miss a local guy it’s our own damn fault.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;209864]Put another way, if Chris Leak had gone to Wake Forest, where he originally committed, would he be where he is today?[/QUOTE]

Wake was in a BCS game without him. I’d daresay, hell yes. As NLP pointed out, he almost got benched for Teebow (spelling?) which I’d call analagous to Mike Jones @ Cuse. Thanks for making my point again.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;209906]Wake was in a BCS game without him. I’d daresay, hell yes. As NLP pointed out, he almost got benched for Teebow (spelling?) which I’d call analagous to Mike Jones @ Cuse. Thanks for making my point again.[/QUOTE]

Stop deleting half your post after posting it. Makes it hard for me to respond and make sense. Ha.

Unless of course you're a marginal talent. Take Greg Paulus as an example. Playing with finishers Shelden Williams and J.J. Redick at Duke last year, he looked like a pretty good point guard. This year, not so much. You need talent around you, at least some. And if you're not a guard, you need someone to feed you the ball in the right places.

It’s true that NBA scouts will find you whereever, but NBA draft picks still don’t come from whereever very often. Bradley and Temple were the only non-BCS schools to have first-round picks in 2006, and Louisiana Tech and GW were the only ones in the second round. That’s out of 60 picks and compares with 16 foreign players not from U.S. colleges or universities.

Mike P…are you serious?

Who does Rodney Stuckey (Eastern Wash. PG) have around him? Bobby Brown (CS-Fullerton, PG)? Heck, how about Loren Stokes (Hofstra) or Brandon Heath (San Diego St.)?

Meanwhile, how many kids have been duped into believing that the best way to a pro career was to go to a Big 6 school and then rotted on the bench - unable to ever prove themselves or get better?

Kids like Jones get over excited. He should realize he is going to be riding the pine before he gets to play, I mean he’s not Paul Harris :lmao:.

Taking the antagonist side though, the kids that wait it out have done pretty good themselves, example- David Noel played off the bench at UNC-CH for a couple of years, Reyshawn Terry would only get time with the

Walk-ons for his first couple years, Hilton Armstrong another example, so clearly there is chances for the players to shine if they wait it out with the bigger programs, but then again almost every player has that "I want to play now mentality which is why those Top 100 and Top 50 HS Recruits end up transferring.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;209887]

Clemson is doing the same thing already to Demontez Stit and he hasn’t even played a game yet

[/QUOTE]

Didn’t know that about Stitt but it doesn’t really surprise me. Wonder if he’s regretting his decision not to come here yet.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;209887]

But actually getting back on topic, if we lose this guy, I won’t cry. I want players of his ability from the local region, but it looks like we’re getting in on him late and if we miss a local guy it’s our own damn fault.

[/QUOTE]

Well said, unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of swooping in late and nabbing a recruit.

Dang, my browser must be messed up cause I thought this thread was about [B][COLOR=SeaGreen]Javarris Bernett[/COLOR][/B]…

[QUOTE=forDniner;209959]Didn’t know that about Stitt but it doesn’t really surprise me. Wonder if he’s regretting his decision not to come here yet.

Well said, unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of swooping in late and nabbing a recruit.[/QUOTE]

Everyone’s getting in late though so I think we have chance. He scored 11 last night. The key for us is signing kids like this before they blow up. Best that they wait and “blow up” here. :biggrin:

We had a good shot with at least 3 of Clemson’s current roster: Mays, Rivers, Powell. Those players that went to ACC perennial cellar dwellar have turned that program around.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;209972]Everyone’s getting in late though so I think we have chance. He scored 11 last night. The key for us is signing kids like this before they blow up. Best that they wait and “blow up” here. :biggrin:

We had a good shot with at least 3 of Clemson’s current roster: Mays, Rivers, Powell. Those players that went to ACC perennial cellar dwellar have turned that program around.[/QUOTE]

True, not trying to count us out completely but we usually stand a much better chance when we were already on the list (vs joining in when the big boys do). Of course, as your list of players currently @ Clemson shows, even being on the list early doesn’t gurantee us anything.

I just don’t get why they can’t blow up AFTER signing with us! :smile:

"We had a good shot with at least 3 of Clemson’s current roster: Mays, Rivers, Powell. Those players that went to ACC perennial cellar dwellar have turned that program around. "

Didn’t they recruit our recruiting coach, that also didn’t help us.

Yeah, I have to say Clemson is showing that you can turn things around in one summer. I know they haven’t gotten deep into league play yet, and that is where they will find their demise, but props to the Tigers for figuring it out.

We got in pretty late with Phil Jones if I remember correctly. Granted their were some unusual circumstances surrounding his recruiting (his academics), but we still came out on top even with several heavy hitters in the mix. I realize we’ve lost more of these battles than we’ve won, but I’m not counting Mox out until Barnett commits to another school.

Put another way, if Chris Leak had gone to Wake Forest, where he originally committed, would he be where he is today? Perhaps he'd have the same NFL prospects, perhaps not. I can't imagine he'd have been in that game last night, though. He wanted to be measured against the best, so he went to the SEC, where the country's best football is played. And he came out OK.

Good god yes. Maybe there he would have had a steady offensive coordinator. Chris Leak is NFL ready. Florida did not utilize him to his full potential at ALL. Mark my words. Whoever doesn’t underestimate him in the draft is one lucky team in my book.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;210230]Good god yes. Maybe there he would have had a steady offensive coordinator. Chris Leak is NFL ready. Florida did not utilize him to his full potential at ALL. Mark my words. Whoever doesn’t underestimate him in the draft is one lucky team in my book.[/QUOTE]
WORD! Maybe he will be like Spurior and coach… And wants to be close to home, so he will coach The Charlotte 49ers football team… :biggrin:

From Dave Telep…

Speaking of available perimeter talent, a diamond in the rough surfaced a few days after Christmas. In Charlotte, N.C., at Victory Christian, Javarris Barnett decided it was time to let ‘er rip and he stole the show at the Bojangles Shootout.

A 6-foot-5 sniper, Barnett didn’t start for his high school team when December began. After two straight impressive performances as the year wound down — many rival coaches had no clue that he was — Barnett already has scholarship offers from St. Bonaventure, Miami-FL and Furman. Kansas, Charlotte and a legion of others are peeking in on him.

Link: FOXSports.com

Very timely Langston Wertz Q&A:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/high_school/qa_forum.html

AAU basketball is ruining a generation of kids. We have lots of guys who can crossover dribble and run up and down the floor, but they're not being taught to play. They play 89 games a day but rarely have any clue what they're doing beyond street ball tactics.

AAU coaches have the kids longer than high school coaches and often their lessons are the ones that stick. Sometimes, this is fine. Most times, I think, it is not.

Too many AAU coaches are really looking for a college job or a college handout and don’t have any formal training or attend clinics. Again, this is not every single one, but I’ve run across more than my share of ones I think are slimy.

I say timely because two players we’re recruiting Luke Riches and Barnett, both missed significant AAU time to work on their game. Now they are popping up on a lot of schools’ radars as diamonds in the rough.

I talked to a College assistant last night who is recruiting this kid and he said they are still trying to decide if this kid is a D-1 player. He didn’t start on his HS team as a junior and even this year he has only had 2 really good games, granted those 2 games were when everyone was watching. But this kid is far from a suren thing and whoever does get him, I would say it is 50/50 whether he will very be much of a contributor.

per scout.com article

[QUOTE]Late blooming wing guard Javarris Barnett out of Victory Christian in Charlotte, recently attended a Charlotte 49ers game and was offered a scholarship, according to his father.

“Some schools have shown serious interest,” James Barnett said. Richmond, College of Charleston and Charlotte offered in recent days. VMI, Miami-FL and Vanderbilt have seen him. The Commodores will be at his game on Friday. [/QUOTE]