Javarris Barnett - 2007 F/G

[QUOTE=Jimmyhat49er;210493]I talked to a College assistant last night who is recruiting this kid and he said they are still trying to decide if this kid is a D-1 player. He didn’t start on his HS team as a junior and even this year he has only had 2 really good games, granted those 2 games were when everyone was watching. But this kid is far from a suren thing and whoever does get him, I would say it is 50/50 whether he will very be much of a contributor.[/QUOTE]

Was that a Charlotte assistant, I hope not. It is well-known this kid is a 4 year player. I agree that he isn’t going to come in immediately and put up double-figures a game, but he has the length for his size to be a real threat at the perimeter and his talent is raw. A couple years under Preston, plus hard work in the gym (this kid seems like a Leemire Goldwire type of worker) and he should be a hell of a player by his junior year.

According to [URL=http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=428&p=9&c=8&toinid=434&cfg=bb&yr=2007][B]Scout.com[/B][/URL], Javarris has committed to the 49ers!

Great news! Is he 07 or 08?

Areas of improvement:
ballhandling
defensive prescence

for some reason that doesn’t surprise me

he is 07 class mack

We always have a need for shooters with range, great commitment on top of Wilderness, Gaby and Jones already coming in next year, and Gerrity in the Spring.

Do we still have one to offer? The whole Phil Jones thing is confusing me about what we have left. If we have one an athletic JUCO who can defend the post seems ideal.

[QUOTE=CMack124;216619]We always have a need for shooters with range, great commitment on top of Wilderness, Gaby and Jones already coming in next year, and Gerrity in the Spring.

Do we still have one to offer? The whole Phil Jones thing is confusing me about what we have left. If we have one an athletic JUCO who can defend the post seems ideal.[/QUOTE]

We do have one more slot. We have 5 scholarships available for next year. Barnett, Jones, Wilderness, Ngoundjo have 4 of them. Gerrity is on scholarship now. It was originally slated for Phil.

[QUOTE=the daxified one;216612]Areas of improvement:
ballhandling
defensive prescence

for some reason that doesn’t surprise me

he is 07 class mack[/QUOTE]

Strengths:
-6’5" SG
-Excellent student
-Local kid
-3-Point Range
-Perimeter Shot
-Upside/Potential

Now that I think about, I’m pretty sure I saw him and his family at the game. I pointed him out to NA.

Where is Victory Christian at? What part of Charlotte?

its down off of south blvd. around tyvola that area. before you get to 77.

my old neighbors went to church there.

Thanks Dax…I have never heard of it before.

Thanks Dax....I have never heard of it before.
yeah its a huge african american church. They also have some of the biggest fans i've ever seen in my entire life. where ever their team goes they always are not far behind with their blue and gold kings sweaters and sweat shirts on.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Victory%20Christian%20Center%20Charlotte&sourceid=mozilla2&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

its the huge clumps of dots in south charlotte

we got a verbal over miami. so there are some positives from this

[QUOTE=casstommy;216630]Where is Victory Christian at? What part of Charlotte?[/QUOTE]

The school is in west Charlotte near Beatties Ford Road and I-85. The address is 1501 Carrier Drive.

Scout.com commitment story: [URL=http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=428&p=2&c=617403]http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=428&p=2&c=617403[/URL]

Cheeks was there when he scored 30 in the Bojangles tournament and offered a scholarship on the spot.

The school is in west Charlotte near Beatties Ford Road and I-85. The address is 1501 Carrier Drive.
yea run you are thinking of a different area. The real school that this kid more than likely goes to is right by the church in between nations ford, tyvola and south blvd. Officially on Old Pineville Rd.

that is the church that he goes to. Also note this kid is probably an extremely humble individual with good morals and a great attitude. From the VCC games i’ve watched in the past that is what they pride themselves on.

Can someone paraphrase the scout.com article? I only have a rivals subscription.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;216643]Can someone paraphrase the scout.com article? I only have a rivals subscription.[/QUOTE]
It is free, at least it worked for me.

so has this kid played pretty consistently since then or did he have a big tournament and then fall off?

I’m glad to see some talent stay in their hometown though. It definitely can’t hurt attendance especially if the fans at his school travel like dax says they do.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;216625]Strengths:
-6’5" SG
-Excellent student
-Local kid
-3-Point Range
-Perimeter Shot
-Upside/Potential

[/QUOTE]

Awesome signing. I was actually telling a coworker today that I was worried about us at the sg spot after Lee graduates - looks like we’ve found somebody to compete with Ian. I really like his size too, we haven’t had a tall sg in a while!!

Awesome signing. I was actually telling a coworker today that I was worried about us at the sg spot after Lee graduates - looks like we've found somebody to compete with Ian. I really like his size too, we haven't had a tall sg in a while!!

he’s also listed as an SF tho…so idk…we’ll see. could depend on where we need help…especially since we’ll be young at SF and have ian and lee at SG.

There’s not a helluva lotta difference in the 2 versus the 3 anyway, especially in Lutz’s system. The 3 drives some and is hopefully a decent rebounder.

I have him penciled in as a 2 primarily, but I’ll change it if necessary when I see him play.