Javarris Barnett

I know it is pretty obvious that Lutz plans to red-shirt Barnett, since he hasn’t yet gotten on the court, but I wondered what everyone on here thinks about that. I would think that given the importance of this year to Lutz, that he would have wanted “all hands on deck”. I’m sure he’s thinking long-term this is best for Barnett and the team, but I would probably prefer that he used Barnett this year. I mean, you never know, but if he just got hot for a game or two (he is a streaky 3-point shooter, right) it could be the difference in winning/losing! What does everyone else think?

according to jim javaris is still growing. so when he start playing some college ball he’s going to be a HUGE shooting guard.

i also don’t think we rely on a streaky 3 point shooter and hope that he gets hot. it isn’t worth it in the long run.

I think he’s best served redshirting right now. I don’t think he’d be able to take anyone’s minutes right now. He’s not going to take Lee’s or Ian’s minutes at shooting guard and he’s not quick enough for the 3 right now. I say redshirt him, let him keep growing into his body and try and develop his physique a little more.

It is encouraging to see that The coaching staff is thinking of whats best for Barnette and the team for the long run. As for a streaky shooter who may make a differance sometime, we have that in Phaler. Barnette seems to be level headed, willing to develop rather than expecting instant gratification.

He can play in up to 6 games and still be redshirted can he not? If that’s the case we should give him some minutes if we ever have a game where we hold a sizeable lead.

Is there a deadline to redshirt someone?

A player may be granted a redshirt if he or she has participated in less than 10% of the season taking place in an academic year.

I think redshirting is a good idea. I think we should redshirt every freshman that comes in, couldn’t hurt right. They come in, practice (they are allowed to practice right??), get them on some weights, get them use to college life and Charlotte. Dewhurst has been with the team already a season and has grown physically and mentally and we still have him for 4 years of eligibility. Also, I guess it helps that we won’t lose him the year we lose Dewhurst, Gaby, and Wilderness.

if we had more depth on the front line, I’m sure Gaby would have been Redshirted. An’Juan went to a prep school for one extra year, it would be hard to redshirt a kid like that. Especially when they are as talented as An’juan

[QUOTE=Jason4Life32;278461]A player may be granted a redshirt if he or she has participated in less than 10% of the season taking place in an academic year.[/QUOTE]

I believe that for medical reshirt. Gerrity only played in one game last year and lost a half year of eligible.

I know that if a college football player participates in ONE play, he’s eligibility is gone for that year.

I believe that for medical reshirt. Gerrity only played in one game last year and lost a half year of eligible.

The medical redshirt is what Dewhurst received, isn’t it?

[QUOTE=dax;278445]
i also don’t think we rely on a streaky 3 point shooter and hope that he gets hot…[/QUOTE]

We don’t?

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;278492]The medical redshirt is what Dewhurst received, isn’t it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Dewhurst received a medical redshirt.

OK. Back to the thread. Like everyone else said Barnett would not help this season. It’s of little benefit to the team and hurts him not to redshirt this season.

We have a ten to eleven man rotation (if you count Phaler as 11).

But I personally believe Barnett could be a hidden gem. If he grows to 6-8, 6-9? Preston can get some weight on him? Would he be pulling big men away from the basket with a 3 point shot? Kind of like the NFL draft. We don;t know what we have, but it’s fun to guess.

Cakewalk, I think Barenett is expected to grow a little more. 6’5 when he signed, he’s at 6’7 right now.

Here comes the new Admiral.

[QUOTE=49erDrummer;278493]We don’t?[/QUOTE]
goldwire can make at least 1 three every night. javarris had 1 good game in 4 years in high school and every scout in the world went crazy

its called upside. i love lee but if youre a scout and youre looking at a 5’11" pg/sg or a then 6’5" and growing sg with long arms, the ability to hit threes, athletisism, a high bball iq and great upside which one are you gonna go crazy over.

Martin Iti.