Jerry Richardson fallout

I would lean toward eventual removal but it needs to be done in due time not as a knee jerk reaction. They can slow boat this to give themselves time to figure out the best path. It will likely have to be done eventually because it will become an ā€œissueā€ that people talk about that will not go away and smear our reputation. The university is too big to allow a thorn in its side like that, even for a donation of that size.

Seems like the university community could create a nickname for the stadium such as gold mine or something and suggests that be used to lessen the use of the Richardson name. Nothing beat the real Mineshaft back in the day. How many folks know the official name of the Gators stadium outside of the swamp.

Google-free guess: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, right?

Letā€™s rename it the Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Stadium. Doesnā€™t that solve everything?

2 Likes

That was pretty much a perfect statement. I hate to see Charlotte going through this. At least it was not done by anyone with a connction to UNCC, that I am aware of, beyond the money donation so it will be easy to separate from the situation as well, which I am sure will happen.

Are the naming rights lifetime of Jerry Richardson or the stadium?

Thatā€™s a good question, Iā€™m assuming stadium.

Iā€™m surprised there isnā€™t some sort of morality/moral turpitude clause governing a situation like this.

Quite frankly Iā€™d hold pat and see what Wofford does. He has given them more money and has his name on more properties there then at Charlotte.

I would wait and see how the Panthers handle the statue situation, then proceed from there. I think long term we would make more having corporate sponsorship than the one time lump sum, but ideally I would like to have my cake and eat it too. If they remove the statue and we can remove the name amicably (keep the money/any future monies) and get Loweā€™s Stadium that would be the best case scenario.

There always is a clause like that. We would have to decide whether to invoke it. Richardson has not admitted any wrong doing, nor been convicted of anything. I think we all believe he did what he was accused of, but that is not the same thing. Richardson could certainly push back legally if we tried to change the stadium name and we could end up having to give his money back. This is not as simple as our removing his name because the popular consensus is trending against him.

1 Like

I agree with seeing what Panthers and Wofford look to do. No reason for us to steer the ship in this crusade.

1 Like

clt says we will likely demo the stadium for a new one

While not always present, it is common. Iā€™m assuming that there would be a requirement that there would be determination by a court or similar governmental entity of competent jurisdiction prior to being able to enact the clause (and perhaps even a civil suit would suffice). However, if there is such a clause and/or if a civil suit would suffice, then the answer may be much simpler than we think.

The current state of our negativity and hate, in large part, can be attributed to too many people being overloaded by too much information, leading to too many overly passionate (and often intolerant) opinions, about things that used to seldom be immediate, daily concerns in our now tired and mushy brains. Character assassination for mistakes and imperfections for some are celebrated while others get a pass for far worse. Whatever. I do think that removing his name for any donations that its was attached, should also include a prorated refund. Doing the ā€œright thingā€ shouldnā€™t be contingent on the amount of money involved. If there are going to be substantial preachy, ā€œpolitically correctā€ changes related to deletion of Mr Richardson made by my very imperfect University, then they should give him the money back.

1 Like

Would like a better deal for naming rights to the stadium but could really care less if his name is removed. Even with what he is accused of he has still helped far more people in this community than most of the self righteous people who act like he is a terrible person. He has made mistakes but everyone has. This is just another case of the pussification of America where the media and a large portion of the general population spend most of their time trying to find something wrong or offensive with what others are doing or saying instead of realizing that everyone is not always going to be nice and tell you what you want to hear. Between the news media and social media it seems that all people want to hear is dramatic and generally bad news. Itā€™s great for ratings but itā€™s tearing this country apart. He should no doubt be punished for his behavior and I think the embarrassment from this will definitely change his behavior. If 24 hour news coverage and social media had always existed many of the great people throughout history would not be thought of as great people today. The good they did far outweighed the bad so we never heard about the bad. I will admit a lot of this rant is due to the fact that there is no real athletics news on this forum right now and I am frustrated that we donā€™t have a third assistant yet or a 5th year senior big man. Itā€™s also hotter than Hades outside.

3 Likes

Great post!

Pussification of America. Fuck it, letā€™s grab titties and pussies!

Did Jerry Richardson ask Judy to turn around in them jeans???

JR to JR

At that point in her life, asked her not to.