Jerry Richardson fallout

If Matthew Stanford does something dumb are we going to take down the statues outside the stadium?

1 Like

Haha yā€™all laugh about Judy in jeans , but back in the day she had a very hot looking ass in jeans .

Thus the phrase ā€œat that point in her lifeā€.

1 Like

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article214058699.html

Iā€™m going to vomit

2 Likes

I think people forget that we all are human and have our faults. Jerry Richardson did some great things for the community and did some not so great things. To completely wipe him away from the history books is a little much. He lost his team which he loved. I think he paid a hefty price for that mistake. It is time to move on.

2 Likes

He didnā€™t lose his team. He decided to sell and he got paid a hefty amount.

I think if JR had a connection to UNCC beyond giving money it might change some issues.

How Wofford handles this is different than how UNCC should handle this. Wofford is a private college and he attended that school. Both change the dynamic in my view in what I would expect to happen, or at least some of the options that could happen. (Though I would prefer to see Wofford remove the JR hero-worship from their campus.) Removing statues and names off buildings does not mean you strip him of degrees and such. There is a big difference building an idol for all to see and having him mentioned in the college records as most all alums are mentioned.

In the case of UNCC from what I know the only thing he did was give money for the stadium. In 20 years or maybe sooner you are not going to want the blood money staining the reputation of a fine university and what could be a fine football program. Had JR had a degree from UNCC or played ball there I think there could be room for some sort of middle ground., but if all he gave is money it will come across as just blood money in an attempt to buy back his reputation . UNCC is a better school than needing to come across in appreance as whoring out for money. And UNCC is a public school and 1/2 of those taxpayers helping to fund the school where of the sex that was being harassed. (Though men should be equally offended by JRā€™s actions.) And from what I know it was not only sexual but also racial harassment. (And it should not just be racial minorities that are upset that this occured.)

I realize the timeline of all of this a bit backwards but in a generation he will be known as a sexual and racial harasser and the timeline will get murky as to when UNCC was given money from JR and when JR was doing all that he did.

And that is not to say that UNCC should only do anything because of image and public perception. UNCC needs to stand against this sort of behaviour. It should not have been acceptable 100 years ago, 25 years ago, or now.
This has nothing to do with the pussyfaction of society but everything to do with treating other people justly and fairly.

I have full faith a fine and upstanding university such as UNCC will do the right thing. It may take a few months and that is fine with me (though others may want a faster response and I would undetstand their reasonings.) but I am sure some monuments and names on buildings will be changing in the not to distant future, and that is as it should be.

(And yes I know the history of Kidd Brewer. I am not trying to throw stones in a glass house. I am just offering a thought or two from someone that cares about these issues, and also is not so close to the situation that they are blinded by other issues.)

One other thought.

If JR had given an anonymous gift or not put his name on the stadium then UNCC would be off the hook as far as I am concerned. But there is a certain vanity and pride about attaching a name to a donation. I am not one to quote the Bible very often but Proverbs 16:18 about pride before the fall (loose translation on my part.) is at play here (and so many other places where dontions are tied to ā€œlook what I didā€ )

Seriously? Coming from a fan of the school that plays its games in ā€œKidd Brewerā€ Stadium? Yes, I do see that you mentioned it, but stillā€¦shouldnā€™t you be pushing your school to get rid of his name?

Even though Richardson sold his team and made millions he lost out on millions/billions in future value by selling at this point. The sale ultimately hurt his family and there is no doubt he loved that team.

I am not defending anything that he did. I do not know him , his family, or anyone connected to them. However, I remember things that my grandfather said that were extremely racist. That doesnā€™t make me love him less or think less of him. He grew up in a different time so I accept that and move on. I have always tried hard to accept people for who they are and not for the pigment of their skin. Racism is fading away with each generation regardless of what you hear in the media.

As far as sexist comments I believe I read one on this forum just yesterday. If you are a man or a woman it would be hard to believe that you have never made one at least to a friend about someone. If you have ever worked in a factory there are many women who are as vulgar as men. This doesnā€™t make it right, but there is a lot of pot calling the kettle black over the sexist issue.

Who says I am not pushing for that.

And KB did his time in jail and paid his price to society. Also KB had a connection to App through coaching. Still a valid point to be made by you and one that was made in 1988 by some.

I would prefer to have buildings and such named after accomplishments and not donations. His was both, and I am not sure how much of the money came from him or those around him. KB made a ton of money selling land after his time in prison. Not exactly the same situation but I would not be bothered if KBS became Jerry Moore stadium to be honest.

Put JR behinds bars and convict him of a felony and keep the name on the stadium is my advice.

JR is being tried in the court of public opinion. He will never do time for that. In a way maybe he would be better off saying he did some time and now we move on. At 80 he is not going to volunteer for that (nor would anyone) because no one wants to serve time behind bars but KB did and then it was over. It is just different enough to be different.

So there is an amount of vanity and pride with attaching your name to a donation? Now I agree with some of your points but that is a little silly. It is common practice when large sums of money are donated to a cause.

We are indeed all priducts of our time, but JR is living now and being sexist and racist now. not 60 years ago. UNCC will have to handle this now and not wait decades.

And saying something off the cuff is a bit different from the boss that controls pay and employment saying the same thing. Things can and are a bit more nuanced than some would prefer to see.

And yes I noticed the earlier comments. Iā€™ll not comment more than state I noticed them.

I am not saying JR is doing anything unusual in attaching a name to a donation. Many do it, and it is done for vanity in my view. Thre are also large donations that are done anonymously as well. Those are more rare. People are vain, not the end of the world because of that but it need not be that way.

App renamed Raley Hall to Peacock Hall a year or two ago. Peacock was Appā€™s chancellor during the FCS run and such. He was a long time prof and admin and happened to be there when football struck gold and he came after a very lackluster admin. Put it all together and he looks great. Raley was all about giving some money and getting her name attached to a building. Vanity, and from what I read she never even paid, hence one reason for the name change.

I donā€™t blame UNCC for taking the money and with it the name at the time. Organizations have to do what they have to do, but the donator of funds need not force their name on buildings.

Just so there is no confusion, if I ever write a really large check, my name is going on the building. There was no social media when I was in college, and there is no video, so it should be fine.

1 Like

Did I read blood money? Good gracious. Heā€™s a creepy old dude that said the wrong things not a rapist and not a murder.

1 Like

Agreed. Really tired of it being portrayed as though he lynched a guy and raped women.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anything he is accused of even approaches a felony or anything that would put someone behind bars. If so there are thousands of dirty old men in nursing homes who should be locked up. Not trying to justify his actions. They are definitely not acceptable. In my opinion if the people affected by these acts really wanted to do the right thing they would have came forward years ago instead of taking payouts & allowing it to continue to happen to other people. That only encourages people in powerful positions to continue their inappropriate behavior.