John Cannon - 2011 C

Center from Mountain Heritage HS in Burnsville, NC. 6’11 230lbs. Plans to hit four elite camps: Tennessee, Indiana, Wake Forest and Florida. Clemson is showing interest as well.

Rivals - 3 stars

Scout - 2 stars

ESPN - 88 rating

recent update on Cannon per Rivals

Class of 2011 post player [url=http://charlotte.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=93863]John Cannon[/url] now has offers from Princeton and UNC-Wilmington. Utah is still showing serious interest, and Indiana, Tennessee, Clemson, Auburn, East Carolina, Wake Forest, Stanford and Charlotte are also recruiting him.

This is a guy that we should definitely take a look at. In my opinion he could develop into a really solid Center, I’ve seen him play several times.

He won’t come here so don’t worry about what he will develop into

Why do we always have to be the “and school” in quotes from rivals/scout/other recruiting services. It seems like it doesn’t matter who the other schools are, we are always listed last. They all look like this, every time- " John D is being recruited by Wake, Clemson, VCU, NC State, Buffalo, East Carolina, ODU, Hofstra and Charlotte". Just venting. This always angers me. To me we should always be 1st being a niner fan. We always look like an afterthought in these quotes.

Why do you say that?

Unless you know him or someone in his family personally, that seems like a pretty ridiculous statement to make. We are a hell of a lot better program than anyone who has offered him so far, well except maybe Richmond, we are about on par with Richmond as far as the last 5 or 6 years goes. Also the coaching staff seems to really be placing a lot of emphasis on landing some NC talent. I’m sure they will be on this kid pretty hard.

just wait and see

50-50 chance you’re right. It’s either here, or somewhere else. How about some reasons why.

he has bcs written all over him in my opinion, based on the elite camps he is going to

Cannon Weighing Walk-On Option

Feel like I’ve heard this before…

I’m surprised that we haven’t made more of a push to get him into this class. He’s a big guy listed as a 3star right down the road in little ole Burnsville.

I agree. You can’t teach big.

: Cannon led Heritage with 21 points, 22 rebounds and seven blocks against Berry in state tourney Wed night. It seems everyone has backed off of him except smaller schools. I think Harvard is still on him. I wonder if we are even looking at him?

I don’t understand why not. He’s big and hard working

The following is from his ESPN player page. Doesn’t this sound like the other big man we already have? Not much to be excited about IMO.

[from espn.com]
Weaknesses:
Cannon will benefit from more footwork drills and learning to pass better out of the double team. He does not change ends very quickly; he runs hard but is not fast. We would like to see him alter more shots on the defensive end by being able to slide over and help a teammate that has been beaten on penetration.

Clemson and Wake Forest are vying for him. Stock is supposedly rising again.

The following is from his ESPN player page. Doesn’t this sound like the other big man we already have? Not much to be excited about IMO.

[from espn.com]
Weaknesses:
Cannon will benefit from more footwork drills and learning to pass better out of the double team. He does not change ends very quickly; he runs hard but is not fast. We would like to see him alter more shots on the defensive end by being able to slide over and help a teammate that has been beaten on penetration.[/quote]Schools like ours do not generally get big men without some sort of weaknesses.

per RecruitSpotlight: 2011 Center John Cannon (Mount Heritage) has offers from Northwestern, Old Diminion, TCU, and UNC-Charlotte, and will commit in April.

I think we have done alot worse. His stock has been really rising, and he seems like a good kid and student. I still think we need more immediate help if possible, but size never hurts.