John Cannon - 2011 C

Now an 88 rating at ESPN, previously an 86.

ESPN Player Evaluation:

[size=13px]Strengths:[/size][size=2] [/size][font=helvetica][size=2]John is a big, wide bodied youngster with decent hands who takes up space and can score on the block. Cannon lumbers a bit up and down the floor but plays hard and understands his role. He does look to score when receiving the ball in the post up situation and goes aggressively to the hoop. He plays aggressive and has shown massive improvement since his sophomore season.[/size][/font]

[font=helvetica][/font][size=13px]Weaknesses:
Cannon will benefit from more footwork drills and learning to pass better out of the double team. He does not change ends very quickly; he runs hard but is not fast. We would like to see him alter more shots on the defensive end by being able to slide over and help a teammate that has been beaten on penetration.[/size]

[size=13px]Bottom Line:
[/size][size=13px]John has great size at 6’11 and 225 lbs. Cannon does a great job of understanding how to position himself on the low blocks effectively and sealing his man to get his touches. He uses his size to his advantage over smaller defenders. On defense, he is not incredibly quick, but works hard to guard the post by defending before the ball is entered and gets in a stance and ready to play when he has to guard his man on the perimeter. As he adds strength, he will get even better.[/size]

Worried about competing with ODU and TCU. ODU has been much better than us recently and TCU can now pitch playing in the Big East.

[quote=“Niner National, post:22, topic:23425”]Worried about competing with ODU and TCU. ODU has been much better than us recently and TCU can now pitch playing in the Big East.[/quote]Not an easy battle, but we are not certain if Cannon is our #1 priority. It could be a JUCO, which I hear we have 1 coming in town this week as well as a HS post (Cannon?).

We haven’t even offered him yet have we? I haven’t heard anything about us offering him.

My bad. I looked right over that. oh well. haha. I hope we land this kid.

Landing this kid would be huge. Epecially given the names that are going after him.

Another 4 year big man would be nice. Would love to be able to play Braswell & Sherrill alongside true big me like this kid and Thorne.

Getting Cannon would give us this biggest team I think we’ve had since…?

And having 4 years to develop him… Sounds like he works hard. Good fit.

Let’s be realistic here, with the season we had if Major can talk anyone into coming here that is taller than 6’8, can run, put his arms in the air AND dribble I think he’s the best recruiter in the history of the game.

I’d take this guy in a heartbeat, but like I said I’d take anyone that can do the above.

I would like to know what our JUCO options are before jumping on a HS big man.

I just want the best player we can possibly get. JUCO or not. A high school big man will give the staff 4 years to develop him, but a JUCO should be ready to produce immediately.

Regardless of which route we take, I’m excited to see what the future holds. Next year, we will have so many new guys that i can’t wait to see how good they can be.

http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/hshuddle/2011/03/22/georgia-va-tech-coaches-coming-to-see-cannon/

and Charlotte? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Not the and, anything but and.

Va Tech and UGA are visiting him at home this weekend.

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:31, topic:23425”]I just want the best player we can possibly get. JUCO or not. A high school big man will give the staff 4 years to develop him, but a JUCO should be ready to produce immediately.[/quote] While this is what we hope for, how often does a juco contribute immediately? I guess you could say Mack and Coley were immediate contributors. It almost always seems to take at least half a season if not a full season before the light bulb really goes on. If next year is probably going to be mediocre anyway (I don’t know if it is, but it could be), then maybe a high school big that develops is still the way to go. He won’t be the starter anyway, unless he’s a big-time juco.

[quote=“9erken, post:35, topic:23425”][quote=“Ruckus42, post:31, topic:23425”]I just want the best player we can possibly get. JUCO or not. A high school big man will give the staff 4 years to develop him, but a JUCO should be ready to produce immediately.[/quote] While this is what we hope for, how often does a juco contribute immediately? I guess you could say Mack and Coley were immediate contributors. It almost always seems to take at least half a season if not a full season before the light bulb really goes on. If next year is probably going to be mediocre anyway (I don’t know if it is, but it could be), then maybe a high school big that develops is still the way to go. He won’t be the starter anyway, unless he’s a big-time juco.[/quote]If we could get a guy like Karron Johnson, I’d take a JUCO over a 4 year guy in a heart beat.

Johnson is a legit talent that could contribute immediately.

They might not always contribute immediately, but that’s always the plan. No coach (at least none that I’ve ever heard of) takes a JUCO and doesn’t expect him to be able to participate and contribute immediately.

RT @RecruitSpotligh: John Cannon’s ('11) recruitment has picked up recently after he earned the MVP in the Carolinas All-Star game, VT involved

[quote=“Niner National, post:36, topic:23425”]If we could get a guy like Karron Johnson, I’d take a JUCO over a 4 year guy in a heart beat.

Johnson is a legit talent that could contribute immediately.[/quote]

You guys ever heard of Phillip Jurick, former Tennesse signee. He’s 6-11, 275. Interesting statline…

10.5 points per game

12.7 rebound per game

9.6 blocks per game :o

1.8 assist per game

69 % FG

26% Free throws :))

that FT% is attrocious. I’ve looked at his info, but can’t find a link to Charlotte, yet. I know we are after some JUCO’s but haven’t been able to identify them at this time.