Judy Rose profiled in Charlotte Weekly

[i]Originally posted by forDniner+Jan 17 2005, 08:47 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (forDniner @ Jan 17 2005, 08:47 PM)
Originally posted by metro@Jan 17 2005, 01:34 PM [b]
Originally posted by LeftyNiner@Jan 17 2005, 12:52 PM [b]

I think that profitability doesn’t mean anything either. even if you lose a million dollars a year it is certainly worth it. How much does it cost to run a two hour promotion on national tv? isn’t that what we are getting wednesday night? I graduated as a marketing major and if i learned anything it is that you want to have positive emotions toward your brand. winning big games on national tv certainly do that! I am currently living in california where no one here know much about NC but if you mention Duke people will tell you its a good school…even when they don’ t know what Duke is known for achedemicly. Having a big time program is certainly worth the cost in promoting your school nationaly.

Also UNC Charlotte is a non profit institution. That means your finanial goal is more based on revenue rather than profits. While an athletic department may lose a million think about how much revenue it generates. How many people it employs, how many athletes it trains, and of course how much exposure it brings. Even if there is a loss of “profit” from this department it can have a far greater impact on the organization as a whole…(if it is well managed and is big enough to get national attention)

email I got from a local media member:

[b]The Niners are joining the A-10....What conference is licking their chops to include Charlotte? Without football, the Niners don't have much to offer the big-time leagues. Judy has positioned herself correctly from a political standpoint in the NCAA circles....so I'm not sure what you expect her to do....Just my two cents...The good news is that Bobby continues to win and has his boys atop the CUSA...but considering how few calls (none) and emails (less than two a week), I don't know what kind of interest is in the overall program...and that's too bad. [/b]

hurray! Judy has made NCAA friends!

I prefer someone that can stir interest amongst alum and locals instead of networking the NCAA.

the job of an AD is to make sure the public has interest in its athletic programs.

how can anyone say Judy has done that?

[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 08:06 AM [b] email I got from a local media member:
[b]The Niners are joining the A-10....What conference is licking their chops to include Charlotte? Without football, the Niners don't have much to offer the big-time leagues. Judy has positioned herself correctly from a political standpoint in the NCAA circles....so I'm not sure what you expect her to do....Just my two cents...The good news is that Bobby continues to win and has his boys atop the CUSA...but considering how few calls (none) and emails (less than two a week), I don't know what kind of interest is in the overall program...and that's too bad. [/b]

hurray! Judy has made NCAA friends!

I prefer someone that can stir interest amongst alum and locals instead of networking the NCAA.

the job of an AD is to make sure the public has interest in its athletic programs.

how can anyone say Judy has done that? [/b]

Local media member? You mean Mark Packer. Excellent source. :lol: Same thing he always writes. I used to email all the time and call in ocassionally. I don’t anymore because I really don’t care for his show.

[i]Originally posted by niner007[/i]@Jan 17 2005, 10:48 PM [b] Also UNC Charlotte is a non profit institution. That means your finanial goal is more based on revenue rather than profits. While an athletic department may lose a million think about how much revenue it generates. How many people it employs, how many athletes it trains, and of course how much exposure it brings. Even if there is a loss of "profit" from this department it can have a far greater impact on the organization as a whole...(if it is well managed and is big enough to get national attention) [/b]
Yeah, I should have said we come out ahead on a consistent basis. Revenues are key. It's all about making the NCAA tournament and then advancing. We only have one revenue making sport and play in the shadows of the ACC. I think most people would agree that we've made major strides over the past decade. Public perception of the University and athletic program has improved dramatically.
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 08:36 AM [b] It's all about making the NCAA tournament and then advancing. [/b]
I agree and unfortunately, we've failed at the latter unless you count the occasional 2nd round appearance. We desperately need to get over that hump but in my opinion, it all has to do with playing well enough in the regular season to get a favorable seed. I know it's beating a dead horse but when you constantly fall into that 8/9, your chances of advancing to a Sweet 16 decrease dramatically. We really need to take advantage of opportunities like the one that presents itself this week (at Cincy/at Marquette) and for once, put ourselves in position to get a good seed in March. When that happens, then we'll have a much better shot at moving forward and getting the national respect we all clamor for.
[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 08:06 AM [b] email I got from a local media member:
[/b]
Posting an email from Fudge Packer as some sort of validation for your opinion is pitiful to be sure. You had me more on board with your previous arguments. Posting that no talent POS as support just sends me back the other way.

Metro my man… Packer is a joke. Shake that guy off of your bandwagon.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Jan 18 2005, 09:38 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Jan 18 2005, 09:38 AM)
[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Jan 18 2005, 09:38 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Jan 18 2005, 09:38 AM)
[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 10:39 AM [b] So packer thinks that just because he's getting no emails or calls to his 2-bit show about our program that indicates no interest in the program generally. He's more arrogant, pompous and elitist than I thought. [/b]
I don't like his show, and havent listened in months, but you are a fool if you don't think that show has a pulse on what is relevant in the local sports market.

We sell out once a year, and can’t get a freaking reasonable local TV deal or radio deal without essentially begging (another unarguable fact), but you think people care about us?

thank god for Signature Sports or we probably wouldn’t even have radio or a single cset game. these are facts guys.

I don’t disagree. However, Packer’s show cow tows to Wal Mart ACC fans and the overall lowest common denominator of sports fan. I take pride in the fact he doesn’t get emails or calls about us. It means our fans are smart enough not to listen to his moronic ramblings. He does the same show over and over.

What’s you’re favorite sports moment?
Who’s the greatest ever in X sport?
What’s the best game in X sport you’ve ever seen?
How good will the ACC be this year?
If your house burns down what one piece of sports collectable do you take with you?

Throw that crap in with whatever the hot topic on ESPN radio is for the day and a few, “How bout that,” " Team X fans, I’m calling you out." “Person X is gettin it done,” “Hey, strap it on and let’s go play” et. al. and you’ve got a Fudge show.

He’s not a promoter of our program, he never has been. He’s not even a fan. He’s an arrogant SOB who thinks he’s throwing us a bone just by mentioning us on the air. And any opinion he has of our program, our AD, our school or the color of our uniforms couldn’t mean less to me.

[b]My point is that nobody cares about this program except a few thousand die hards. It is the AD's job to make sure people care, and for the most part, nobody cares. Making NCAA buddies does nothing for us here in the Carolinas. As I have said a million times, polishing your resume in inner circles is not what we need. [/b]

Don’t disagree. However it’s not all Judy’s fault. We have to win some games and go deep in the tourney to get that kind of recognition. We need a season that will cause people to watch and generate more fans. We need to get to a point where fans like that jack ass Dusty that wrote to the UTimes is an exception not the rule.

[i]Originally posted by metro+Jan 18 2005, 10:45 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (metro @ Jan 18 2005, 10:45 AM)
[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 10:49 AM [b]

Don’t disagree. However it’s not all Judy’s fault. We have to win some games and go deep in the tourney to get that kind of recognition. We need a season that will cause people to watch and generate more fans. We need to get to a point where fans like that jack ass Dusty that wrote to the UTimes is an exception not the rule. [/b]

I agree winning is a cure for everything. However, teams with far less production on the court have higher fan interest across the board. Memphis is a good example.

we are really having a “chicken before the egg” conversation. I think an AD MUST make sure that the base grows and is excited no matter what, because even massive and elite programs don’t win consistently.

I have no idea what Dusty wrote.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 10:57 AM [b] We are what we are. The REAL motivator (as I've said many times) is winning big and often. They will come then, regardless of what Judy or anybody else does or doesn't do. Anyone that does not believe that is the REAL fool. [/b]
that is such faulty logic.

We have done more on the court the last 10 years than Memphis, NC State, Va Tech, USC, UGA, Fla St, etc, etc (you could name 50 more)…yet our fan support is a fraction.

winning helps obviously, but the proper salesmanship, promotion, and marketing of an overall program has is key. And we don’t do it.

as I said, we BEG the radio and TV stations to pick us up and hope for the best. why? because its darn near impossible to sell commercial spots. Why do you think when a game is on, you hear the same 3 commercials? there is no demand for our product, and we have done our share of winning the last decade.

[b]We have done more on the court the last 10 years than Memphis, NC State, Va Tech, USC, UGA, Fla St, etc, etc (you could name 50 more)......yet our fan support is a fraction.[/b]

Not a fair comparison. Not only are we battling name recognition, conference affiliation and football in respect to those teams we’re battling decades less tradition in the heart of ACC country. Therefore it’s going to take more for us to get to where we want to be than it would have had we enjoyed this success 40 years ago. If we’d built on our Final Four run instead falling into nothingness I think we’d be seeing a much different climate right now.

[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Jan 18 2005, 10:57 AM [b] Memphis is a good example. [/b]
Hold on now with Memphis! FedEx Forum, a brand new 18,400 seat facility, where they supposedly have wonderful support. One of their fans had posted earlier that they'd sold 16000 season tickets. Well, in 11 games they've averaged only filling 47.7% of the building. Memphis may have the cash in the athletic department tills, but they don't necessarily have the fan support some think they have.

7000 vs. Savannah State (38.0% of capacity)
8000 vs. George Mason (43.5% of capacity)
9000 vs. Arkansas State (48.9% of capacity)
12400 vs. Mississippi State (67.4% of capacity)
8400 vs. Austin Peay (45.7% of capacity)
7581 vs. Louisiana Tech (41.2% of capacity)
2400 vs. Providence (13.0% of capacity)
8800 vs. East Tennessee State (47.8% of capacity)
9378 vs. Southern Mississippi (50.1% of capacity)
13400 vs. Marquette (72.8% of capacity)
10200 vs. Texas Christian (55.4% of capacity)
11 games – 8778 avgerage (47.7% of capacity)
source: GoTigersGo.com

What are the odds that 9 out of 11 games would have whole number multiples of 100 as their attendence?

Doubt those numbers are true.

The ignorance of Metro never ceases to amaze me. Sport does not exist in a vacuum at the college level. There must be some sort of business model for it to continue. At the D3 level, it brings in students, i.e. revenue and makes a lot of sense. At the D1 level, it must at least come close to breaking even to be worth while.

True, it does help provide a great environment to college. And it can help enrollment, but only so much. Therefore it must be run like a business.

Do you have any high level business experience? I mean dealing with budgets, strategic goals, and what not? Would company spend tons of money just to make your work environment better? Only if it was neccessary.

You think small, like someone who does not have a lot of business expertise. Your lack of ability to see the big picture really is something you should work on.

And Judy does an excellent job, so does Jim. And no one gives a rat’s ass about you, anyway. You are so insignificant, kind of like the pimple you don’t worry about it because no one can see it.

Grow up, make some real money, get some actual influence, and maybe somebody will actually sit down and take you seriously.

[b]We have done more on the court the last 10 years than Memphis, NC State, Va Tech, USC, UGA, Fla St, etc, etc (you could name 50 more)......yet our fan support is a fraction.[/b]

Conference, football, tradition. Yeah, we need football but since we don’t have it nor tradition, how can you compare us to them? You can’t.

[b]winning helps obviously, but the proper salesmanship, promotion, and marketing of an overall program has is key. And we don't do it.[/b]

So now you’re asking the AD to schedule games, raise money and market the program? Btw, she raised over 50k at a recent luncheon…all her idea. I think she made a smart move by contracting with Signature Sports. They’re the ones selling and doing a damn good job (as you pointed out).

[b]as I said, we BEG the radio and TV stations to pick us up and hope for the best. why? because its darn near impossible to sell commercial spots. Why do you think when a game is on, you hear the same 3 commercials? there is no demand for our product, and we have done our share of winning the last decade.[/b]

See above. The AD can’t do everything. He/she puts the people in place to make it happen. The last couple of years, she’s been building national relationships. Now, she’s spending time more locally.

Basically, we need football and tradition to catch up to other instutions athletically. But what about academics? Why doesn’t anyone complain about the acedemic side of things?