Judy Rose was right

I think Alums should build the school up to friends & co-workers in the city.
I agree. I do that, and so do a lot of other Niners I know..... and as you know, it can be tougher than it shoud be at times when we first have to inform others about our accomplishments. Also, many of our alums don't know much about us. I often find myself telling other alums about being ranked number one or beating the 4th ranked tarholes or having the 4th most baseball wins, and lots of other stuff.
The city shouldn't have to boost up an Alum.
I agree.......
I've heard this multiple times and it pisses me off. Sure, there are many people that have given more than me to get the AD where it is today. However, $1000 for 50 yard seats, when starting football from scratch is unrealistic. As we are seeing, adding football is on a different fundraising scale than this school has even encountered. Football is expensive to begin (start up costs we are presently looking for) and maintain (as I said in another thread, the 49er Club is going to need a lot more support). A lot of significant contributors to the 49er Club in the past need to be prepared to fall further back (or be ready to give more to maintain their position) in ranking.

Everyone is preoccupied on startup costs, right now. There is more than just that.

I know this will piss some people off and I am sorry in advance. I think it is childish to worry about being at the 30 yard line, instead of the 50 yard line for $1000.

100% Correct

We need to quit viewing Niner Sports as “For Niners Only”.

And if we were “more accepted” by the city, many Niner alums would be more likely to support the Niners. Hers’s a paraphrased quote I heard last week from someone I went to school with “Why should I support the Niners? No one else in Charlotte cares about them”… and this guy has 4 Panther PSLs.

[QUOTE=X-49er;409295]I think many made their pledge in order to make sure the “yes” vote was cast. A faux showing of support, so to speak. Once Dubois said “yes”, they backed out on their promise once it came time to anty up.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;409299]As we are seeing, adding football is on a different fundraising scale than this school has even encountered.[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up right there.

As we are seeing, adding football is on a different fundraising scale than this school has even encountered.
That pretty much sums it up right there.

Again, if Western Carolina can have football I refuse to believe that fund raising is the problem.

Again, if Western Carolina, Elon, Wingate, and WSSU can have football I refuse to believe that fund raising is the problem.
Fixed
Fixed

I know it’s probably on the plan somewhere, but what exactly is the 5,000 FSLs for? I mean it raises $5,000,000+ but exactly what type of structure would that build anyway? It seems we would still need corporate sponsors to build any of the structures I’ve read about. If it’s simply to add bleachers to Transamerica, does that cost $5,000,000+?

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;409299]I’ve heard this multiple times and it pisses me off. Sure, there are many people that have given more than me to get the AD where it is today. However, $1000 for 50 yard seats, when starting football from scratch is unrealistic. As we are seeing, adding football is on a different fundraising scale than this school has even encountered. Football is expensive to begin (start up costs we are presently looking for) and maintain (as I said in another thread, the 49er Club is going to need a lot more support). A lot of significant contributors to the 49er Club in the past need to be prepared to fall further back (or be ready to give more to maintain their position) in ranking.

Everyone is preoccupied on startup costs, right now. There is more than just that.

I know this will piss some people off and I am sorry in advance. I think it is childish to worry about being at the 30 yard line, instead of the 50 yard line for $1000.[/QUOTE]

It may piss you off and you may think it’s childish, but it’s reality. Those that have given to the 49er Club for decades are now asked to give 2.5 times more than Joe Blow to maintain their seating position. Everybody wants to separate football from basketball, but the 49er Club is for ALL sports. When you disgruntle the people that have helped fund our athletic program for so long when the fairweather mutts have come and gone, it’s going to be tough to get them to pony up lots of money when they feel they’re getting the screw.

As others have said, though, it’s going to take a Dale Halton-type donation to get that stadium built. Finding that corporate dough right now is like trying to find a lost quarter in the ocean. Hopefully, the tide will turn on the economy very soon.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;409304]FWIW, I think this is the largest problem. Based on what I know, there has been nothing committed towards football other than the 1600+ FSLs sold. I thought I heard/read somewhere that, last Fall, Judy had a seven figure contributor. Don’t understand why that hasn’t been made public, yet.

I don’t care if it Allen Tate Realtors, Buffalo Wild Wings or NASCAR Banking 500 only from Bank of America. Some kind of corporate support will do wonders towards progress in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I was told last week that we have several major donations already and that the U wants to release this info when they think it will have maximum advantage. Apparently that is not right now.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;409332]I was told last week that we have several major donations already and that the U wants to release this info when they think it will have maximum advantage. Apparently that is not right now.[/QUOTE]

That’s good to know. I wonder if they are afraid that it might generate negative publicity with things the way they are right now with the economy.

[QUOTE=X-49er;409333]That’s good to know. I wonder if they are afraid that it might generate negative publicity with things the way they are right now with the economy.[/QUOTE]

No idea and I was not given further details but the sources are super-credible and I don’t doubt them 1 bit. I wish the U would release this info and its details now but perhaps the start of football season?

Hard to imagine worse publicity then what we’ve got already EXCEPT cancelling football all together and THAT WON’T HAPPEN!!!

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;409332]I was told last week that we have several major donations already and that the U wants to release this info when they think it will have maximum advantage. Apparently that is not right now.[/QUOTE]

Encouraging. Thanx. I guess we could debate the right time to release this, but I know I don’t have enough info and don’t feel like now.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;409334]I wish the U would release this info and its details now [/QUOTE]

agree

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;409334] but perhaps the start of football season?[/QUOTE]

hope not.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;409340]agree

hope not.[/QUOTE]

Well if I lived in a completely Niner-centric universe the start of football season would be the perfect time to do this because Niner supports should be bored out of their minds waiting for basketball season to start, right?

But in the real world the perfect time would be NOW so that we can have some positive to go with all this recent negative.

[QUOTE=Normmm;409326]I know it’s probably on the plan somewhere, but what exactly is the 5,000 FSLs for? I mean it raises $5,000,000+ but exactly what type of structure would that build anyway? It seems we would still need corporate sponsors to build any of the structures I’ve read about. If it’s simply to add bleachers to Transamerica, does that cost $5,000,000+?[/QUOTE]

Facilities and staff necessary to get started is what the recent letter states. The Plan B article explains the scaled down approach and projected costs. I couldn’t get the link to work for that Observer article, though.

Facilities and staff necessary to get started is what the recent letter states. The Plan B article explains the scaled down approach and projected costs. I couldn't get the link to work for that Observer article, though.

Ok, so it’s mostly for locker rooms, training facilities, etc, and not as much for a stadium. In that case the $5,000,000+ makes a little more sense. But I still don’t think it should be a deal breaker. We had student fees to build the Student Center, a single donor for Halton, single donor for the basketball locker room, single donor for the baseball field.

I would assume the staff would be a reoccurring cost and not a start up cost. I guess maybe moving costs or buying out contracts would be start up costs.

I do agree that our alumni donations are pathetic and it would be nice to not have to depend on a large donor. But it’s not a new phenomena.

I don’t think Halton had a single donor. I believe it was built with a combination of student fees, the Barnhardt donation, and the Halton donation in order of largest contribution to smallest (for major donations that is). I could be wrong however.

The alumni apathy is pathetic. It’s true when I went there and it’s more evident now with Alums. If the Alums do not be apart of the school after they leave, we’re going to hurt that much more in every facet of a university. The numbers are staggering and absolutely disgusting that we haven’t had people come through on their commitments.

Out of those FSLs, how many alums bought vs. non-alums and who bought multiple? In addition to how many from out of the Charlotte metro region bought FSLs (including myself). I think they should release these figures. 49er alums dominate the Charlotte metro region.

If we can’t get this done now…

I don’t even want to think about that.

Go :49ers:

[QUOTE=Normmm;409281]I agree with your assessment on the 5,000 people who originally committed but haven’t paid. But I don’t agree with the total fantasy money picture. The main objective is to get football. If that means playing games at Memorial Stadium to make it happen then so be it. To the best of my knowledge Memorial Stadium has never been an option in the plan. As long as Western Carolina has football I refuse to believe we can’t afford it. I believe we just haven’t figured out a way to make it happen, whatever those options are.[/QUOTE]

Memorial stadium was definitely an option and talked about by the Chancellor. They toured it, talked to public officials, pursued it. Money would have to be invested by the city/county and most likely a portion by the University to improve it. I know there was concern with spending money and only using it for a few years and ALSO with taking it off-campus when student fees will be used to cover the 3-5 million to run the program.

Plan B (the current plan) is upfitting the existing Track and Field/soccer complex and building a more basic fieldhouse/training and practice facility to just get started. That’s where the 5 million from individuals through FSL’s comes into play.

Ok, so it's mostly for locker rooms, training facilities, etc, and not as much for a stadium. In that case the $5,000,000+ makes a little more sense. But I still don't think it should be a deal breaker. We had student fees to build the Student Center, a single donor for Halton, single donor for the basketball locker room, single donor for the baseball field.

In my opinion the FSL target quota is not a deal breaker from a $$ standpoint as it is from a “show of support” standpoint.

5000 FSLs provide a small minute amount of the $$ needed to do this but it provides a HUGE look at the real potential for attendance and support.

Remember, attendance will generate additional $$ (parking, concessions, etc) PLUS certain attendance figures are required by the NCAA to make the jump to Div 1 (which is the ultimate goal as stated by the committee).

So…the FSLs aren’t needed as much for $$ as it is to prove there will be enough support to make it work and get us to Div. 1.

In my opinion.