Julius Powell

http://gmine.blogspot.com/

Jim states he was making a recruiting visit and will be somewhere new next Spring. I remember the name but can not remember anything about his game. Anybody got the low down on the kid. Hope he is not damaged goods with his knee.

[URL]http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/powell_julius00.html[/URL]

Streaky shooter that scores in bunches.

[URL]http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/powell_julius00.html[/URL]

Streaky shooter that scores in bunches.

That’s good, Phaler’s graduating this year.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;278790]That’s good, Phaler’s graduating this year.[/QUOTE]

Shazaam!

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;278780]http://gmine.blogspot.com/

Jim states he was making a recruiting visit and will be somewhere new next Spring. I remember the name but can not remember anything about his game. Anybody got the low down on the kid. Hope he is not damaged goods with his knee.[/QUOTE]

According to the 2005 recruiting thread, we offered a schollie but he committed to Clemson instead.

Had high-major interest (was a 4-star according to scout.com) among local schools in the Carolinas: http://clemson.scout.com/a.z?s=46&p=8&c=1&nid=450181 I believe he was close to signing with Wake at one time.

Plays a lot like Lamont Mack - shoots from beyond the arc and rarely gets more than 5 rebounds. Won ACC rookie-of-the-week honors for his scoring ability.

[QUOTE]Lamont Mack (10 games): 257 minutes, 30-86 FG, 16-25 FT, 14-40 3FG, 90 pts, 50 rebounds, 12 assists, 27 turnovers, 8 steals, 6 blocks

Julius Powell (sophmore year): 277 minutes, 22-77 FG, 8-14 FT, 13-44 3FG, 65 pts, 35 rebounds, 9 assists, 15 turnovers, 8 steals, 5 blocks[/QUOTE]

Pretty close.

All in all, it sounds like a happy marriage between player and team if he joins. He would get a year to rehab his knee injury, a semester to play alongside Mack, and a full season as a 5th year senior.

That's good, Phaler's graduating this year.

I think you misunderstood what I said. He SCORES. In BUNCHES. Streaky implies that there are ups as well as downs…

I think you misunderstood what I said. He SCORES. In BUNCHES. Streaky implies that there are ups as well as downs...

I think you misunderstood. It was a joke based on all the scouting reports of Phaler which used the phrase “scores in bunches” meant to sarcastically imply that I’m not getting my hopes up for this new guy. But I’m actually optimistic, I just couldn’t resist the joke.

Plus, Phaler had that one game against UL-L. That was pretty awesome.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;278798]I think you misunderstood. It was a joke based on all the scouting reports of Phaler which used the phrase “scores in bunches” meant to sarcastically imply that I’m not getting my hopes up for this new guy. But I’m actually optimistic, I just couldn’t resist the joke.

Plus, Phaler had that one game against UL-L. That was pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Look man, you’re clearly not a niner fan for insinuating that one of our players is not as good as advertised.

Like I said in the shout box, you simply can’t support a team that loses a game. I’m an Ole Miss fan, through and through.

You really misunderstood this time…I was playing off your joke…only once have I seen Phaler score…at all…and that was in the game against ULL.

You have misunderstood. I was…uh…no, I think you’ve got me on this one.

Trust me here. We need to use the scholly for a HS SR. not Julius Powell.

Powell already has knee problems from hell. He is not strong enough to play inside and he is too slow to play the wing and not a great leaper. Think Lamont Mack except more 3 point attempts and less effort.

The stats above, while not saying it, show that he was 8-of-33 as a sophomore INSIDE the three-point line.

The stats above, while not saying it, show that he was 8-of-33 as a sophomore INSIDE the three-point line.
We could've just kept Booker if we wanted this.

Also, Phaler is shooting 0% this year on 5 shots. I’m glad Lutz puts him in when we need scoring at away games.

[QUOTE=eason49;278853]We could’ve just kept Booker if we wanted this.

Also, Phaler is shooting 0% this year on 5 shots. I’m glad Lutz puts him in when we need scoring at away games.[/QUOTE]

After last night, he might as well put Church in instead of Phaler. He is 100% from behind the arc.

I think if he’s going to play Phaler, he needs 10-15 minutes a game. He looks like a rhythm shooter. I’m also going out on a limb here that Powell will be slightly more athletic than Booker.

I do think Phaler could get into a rhythm if he had more minutes. However, I also think that if you need a spark, Kyle Church is a serious option. If you haven’t been to these games, the only open 3 I’ve seen Kyle take was from well beyond NBA range. The kid can drain them.

i played against Julius Powell in highschool… he was ranked as a top 10 player his freshman year in high school, since that point he hasn’t gotten any better… he doesn’t work hard… he was not an acc caliber player… he’s not anywhere near Lamont Mack’s level… he’s doo doo

i played against Julius Powell in highschool... he was ranked as a top 10 player his freshman year in high school, since that point he hasn't gotten any better... he doesn't work hard... he was not an acc caliber player... he's not anywhere near Lamont Mack's level... he's doo doo

where did you play? He played at a rival high school of ours, just curious.

[QUOTE=CallMeCornbread;278885]… he’s doo doo[/QUOTE]

well then… LETS GET HIM! :smile: