Julius Powell

i agree. an underachiever with two knee sugeries and a year and a half of eligibility. sounds like a bad idea. i hope lutz uses some common sense.

We could've just kept Booker if we wanted this.

Also, Phaler is shooting 0% this year on 5 shots. Iā€™m glad Lutz puts him in when we need scoring at away games.

hah its discouraging when booker is owning people as a sr in my NCAA2k7 game isnt it?

in other news I dont think phaler would be any different. Heā€™s too small and he has to play dirty to handle the other guys out there, bc most of them look to have 30-40 lbs on him. More minutes would equal more fouls, and not necessarily anything solid.

http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/VIDEO/71130003 (video link)

Please donā€™t touch this guy

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;279031]Please donā€™t touch this guy[/QUOTE]

iā€™m looking more towards please donā€™t sign him in any form or fashion.

where did you play? He played at a rival high school of ours, just curious.

Fred T Foardā€¦ class of 05

I donā€™t ever think its a good sign when your current team is basically pushing you out the door.

Read this on USAToday.com:

Julius Powell, a 6-8, 220-pound forward who was redshirting at Clemson this season and is planning to transfer for the spring semester, visited Charlotte for the Dec. 22 win over Gardner-Webb. If he transfers to Charlotte (and indications are that Charlotte has a very good chance of landing him), then Powell would sit out until the end of the fall 2008 semester and would have 1 1/2 more seasons of eligibility remaining.

Link: USAToday.com

Read this on USAToday.com:
This just seems like such a bad idea. A guy with, if I'm reading it right, essentially career ending injuries... that only has 1 and a half years of eligibility? Clemson is basically pushing him out of the door. With one and a half years of eligibility, he'll only contribute for one year, and his game (from what I've read) doesn't seem to be very developed... from stats, he's a horrid inside shooter that wants to take the 3 ball out of the PF slot.... He's almost textbook Phaler, and that hasn't worked out very well for us, either.

This just doesnā€™t seem like a good idea, but maybe the coaches see something special in the guy. I wish him the best of luck, and will be cheering for him if he comes here, though.

Has anyone seen him play at the collegiate level? I think we have a few Clemson fans here.

He has only had knee tendinitis surgery. Any surgery is not good, but at least itā€™s not an ACL. I think EJ had knee tendinitis and that is why he sat out a year.
So maybe he got some bad advice from the trainers and doctors about surgery and rehab.
He will be similar to Mack.

As much as everyone hates saying itā€¦Lutzā€™s contract situation is not helping us out. But, I think it will be decided soon, as it should be.

Has anyone seen him play at the collegiate level? I think we have a few Clemson fans here.

I did a search for members with ā€˜Clemsonā€™ in their userids - but there was only one ā€¦ and he hasnā€™t posted in four weeks.

From what I understand (some of it hearsay), Powell had a pretty good freshman year and was a contender for the starterā€™s role in his sophomore year. But he got hurt. [hearsay]This threw a bit of a monkeywrench into the works, because the coach needed him to contribute immediately - not later - as there were talented power foward recruits coming to Clemson that were anxious for playing time. So the coach pushed him into playing after the doctors gave the okay - but he played pretty poorly with the injury still bothering him.

Powell got a second opinion this year and his doctor said that it was a mistake to come back so soon from the injury. The doctor recommended that he sit out 4 months in order to allow the injury to sufficiently heal. With fowards like junior KC Rivers, sophomore Trevor Booker (his younger brother (PF) has also verballed to Clemson) and freshman Grant on the team (and two 4-stars coming in next year at foward and center), coach and player thought it would be best if he went somewhere where he could have an opportunity to gain playing time, since he was going to sit out anyway.[/hearsay] Purnell said that he was leaving Clemson to play somewhere closer to his NC home.

With 13 scholarships, you can chart out positions by doing something like this (it will show areas of need):

1 - Dijuan Harris
1/2 - Mike Gerrity
2/1 - Leemire Goldwire (Shamarr Bowden next year)
2 - Ian Andersen
2/3 - Javarris Barnett
3/2 Charles Dewhurst
3 - Anjuan Wilderness
3/4 - Sean Phaler (open next year)
4/3 - Lamont Mack (until '09)
4 - (open)
4/5 - Charlie Coley (until '09)
5/4 - Gaby Ngoundjo
5 - Phil Jones

By next year, weā€™re definitely going to need some power fowards.

I see this similar to the Marcus Bennet situation. Possibly the coaching staff thinks they be able to gain the extra half year of eligibility from the NCAA so itā€™s worth taking the chance. IMO if we get the productivity from him like we did with Bennet then itā€™s worth the try. Thatā€™s all assuming he gets clearance from a doctor that his injury is recoverable.

Is he taken a medical redshirt this year? Is so, how does he only how a year and half left if this year would be a redshirt?

interesting decision to be made on this one, our coaching staff is pretty good about evaluating 2 year big men in terms of the fact they have done it many times, so they will probably make the right decision, whatever that may be. They also know well their probabilities of signing someone equivalent or better in the spring. Based on contracts, etcā€¦, they will focus on taking someone who can help immediately. Or since their is no contract in place does the AD makes the decision, just a thought, donā€™t really know.

We also tend to like scoring, facing the basket PFs, whom are willing to put in the hard work rebounding.

Sounds to me like he wasnā€™t close to good enough to get P.T. at Clemson. Why would we want him for less than 2 years?

interesting decision to be made on this one, [B]our coaching staff is pretty good about evaluating 2 year big men[/B] in terms of the fact they have done it many times, [B]so they will probably make the right decision[/B], whatever that may be. They also know well their probabilities of signing someone equivalent or better in the spring. Based on contracts, etc.., they will focus on taking someone who can help immediately. Or since their is no contract in place does the AD makes the decision, just a thought, don't really know.

We also tend to like scoring, facing the basket PFs, whom are willing to put in the hard work rebounding.

I counter you with 3 names: Sean Phaler, Courtney Williams, and (to a lesser extent) Antwon Coleman.

i understand that we will need immediate help in the frontcourt but this doesnt sound like he wants to be a banger in the low post also if we cant recruit a decent freshmen power forward then we have serious issues.

Julius has improved through out his highschool career and at Clemson. Julius had a great freshmen year starting several games. Recieving ACC player of the week a couple of times. His sophomore year barely into the season Julius hurt his knee. The coach insisted that he wait til after season to have it fixed! His first sugery did not go very well. The head doctor for the mens basketball team recommended that Julius have another sugery just a few weeks before work outs! (his junior year) Julius had been out for surgery for only a few weeks and was made to practice, run, lift weights, etc. He clearly was not ready. He went to coach purnell and asked to red shirt and coach didnā€™t think that it would help. He believed over time that it would heal! So julius went to another excellent doctor here in North Carolina who told him that he needs to rehab for a few months before going at it full stream. The doctor also said he believed his knee would heal! Julius is back practicing, shooting, lifting, jumping, etc. and is back to his old self. He WILL be a GREAT asset for the Ninersā€¦

Julius has improved through out his highschool career and at Clemson. Julius had a great freshmen year starting several games. Recieving ACC player of the week a couple of times. His sophomore year barely into the season Julius hurt his knee. The coach insisted that he wait til after season to have it fixed! His first sugery did not go very well. The head doctor for the mens basketball team. (Dr. Bowman) Recommended that Julius have another sugery just a few weeks before work outs! (his junior year) Julius had been out for surgery for only a few weeks and was made to practice, run, lift weights, etc. He clearly was not ready. He went to coach purnell and asked to red shirt and coach didn't think that it would help. He believed over time that it would heal! So julius went to another excellent doctor here in North Carolina who told him that he needs to rehab for a few months before going at it full stream. The doctor also said he believed his knee would heal! Julius is back practicing, shooting, lifting, jumping, etc. and is back to his old self. He WILL be a GREAT asset for the Niners....
Got my vote!!!