Julius Powell

[QUOTE=cibik02;281010]Got my vote!!![/QUOTE]
not mine. takes two years to come back from a knee injury that bad (need proof look at donovan mcnabb). we might get half a season out of him at most. not worth the risk. julius’ coach potentially screwed him over by making him come back earlier than he should have. horrible mistake by that coach.

[QUOTE=cibik02;281010]Got my vote!!![/QUOTE] Mine too, if he’s indeed healthy as reported.

Julius has improved through out his highschool career and at Clemson. Julius had a great freshmen year starting several games. Recieving ACC player of the week a couple of times. His sophomore year barely into the season Julius hurt his knee. The coach insisted that he wait til after season to have it fixed! His first sugery did not go very well. The head doctor for the mens basketball team. (Dr. Bowman) Recommended that Julius have another sugery just a few weeks before work outs! (his junior year) Julius had been out for surgery for only a few weeks and was made to practice, run, lift weights, etc. He clearly was not ready. He went to coach purnell and asked to red shirt and coach didn't think that it would help. He believed over time that it would heal! So julius went to another excellent doctor here in North Carolina who told him that he needs to rehab for a few months before going at it full stream. The doctor also said he believed his knee would heal! Julius is back practicing, shooting, lifting, jumping, etc. and is back to his old self. He WILL be a GREAT asset for the Niners....
Mrs. Powell is that you? I hope you're right. Sounds like he'll definitely be a Niner if you think he will, since you know so much about him.

Prove the naysayers wrong, Julius! :49ers:

After that post, I’m a believer…damn. I never doubted he could be good…I mean you guys are being a little rough…if he was recruited earlier by Clemson and got some ACC POTW awards, he could definitely be a solid contributor.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;281021]After that post, I’m a believer…damn. I never doubted he could be good…I mean you guys are being a little rough…if he was recruited earlier by Clemson and got some ACC POTW awards, he could definitely be a solid contributor.[/QUOTE]

My gut tells me that it’s going to happen. It makes too much sense for both parties.

Looking at his stats, it seems he started out as a young frosh until the ACC conference sked - when he won the starter’s job for 10 of the last 14 conference games. He also started in the ACC conference tournament.

Powell will be high risk/high reward, no question (emphasis on the risk). Dax is nearly right - if he sits out all of this year (2007-08 - year 1 of knee rehab) and much of next year (2008-09 - year 2) - it would leave one good senior season (2009-10 - year 3) to make his comeback bid. And if that comeback bid falls short, at least he can provide needed depth.

There’s also nothing to stop us from seeking out a talented young post player (or two) for the long haul. But who would you rather have on the roster - an unproven frosh PF & additional juco PF insurance policies or an unproven PF frosh & Powell?

My gut tells me that it's going to happen. It makes too much sense for both parties.

Looking at his stats, it seems he started out as a young frosh until the ACC conference sked - when he won the starter’s job for 10 of the last 14 conference games. He also started in the ACC conference tournament.

Powell will be high risk/high reward, no question (emphasis on the risk). Dax is nearly right - if he sits out all of this year (2007-08 - year 1 of knee rehab) and much of next year (2008-09 - year 2) - it would leave one good senior season (2009-10 - year 3) to make his comeback bid. And if that comeback bid falls short, at least he can provide needed depth.

There’s also nothing to stop us from seeking out a talented young post player (or two) for the long haul. But who would you rather have on the roster - an unproven frosh PF & additional juco PF insurance policies or an unproven PF frosh & Powell?

hey…at least we can probably say in the end he’s better than who he he replaces (phaler/lewis)

hey..at least we can probably say in the end he's better than who he he replaces (phaler/lewis)
I just hope he doesn't get PT and jack up 3s from the PF slot. I'd rather have a non-contributor than a negative contributor.

[QUOTE=eason49;281040]I just hope he doesn’t get PT and jack up 3s from the PF slot. I’d rather have a non-contributor than a negative contributor.[/QUOTE]

he doesn’t step inside the arc. his freshman year he jacked up 106 shots from behind the arc and made 31 of them.

[QUOTE=dax;281042]he doesn’t step inside the arc. his freshman year he jacked up 106 shots from behind the arc and made 31 of them.[/QUOTE]

He’ll fit right in at Halton Arena!

he doesn't step inside the arc. his freshman year he jacked up 106 shots from behind the arc and made 31 of them.
You're doing a good job of convincing me of my original opinion, sir.

[QUOTE=eason49;281046]You’re doing a good job of convincing me of my original opinion, sir.[/QUOTE]

and that was? too lazy to go look back at the rest of the thread.

and that was? too lazy to go look back at the rest of the thread.

I hope that if “this guy” does end up playing for the Niners you are a little more supportive.

[QUOTE=ninertiger0101;281051]I hope that if “this guy” does end up playing for the Niners you are a little more supportive.[/QUOTE]

i will be but i usually have to see them play in person first before my complete skepticism is erased. i just know how hard knee injuries are to come back from being a person who has sustained one. when you wait to get surgery which i did as well you build up scar tissue in your knee. on top of that from what you said clemson’s coach made him come back too early on his injury which is the most incoherent decision i think a coach could ever make. to add insult to injury he’s going to have to rehab really hard to get back to where he was athletically during his freshman season. If that is the case and he does get back to that form and plays with complete confidence i’ll give him my full support like i do any 49er athlete. I personally would rather Julius to get 100% before ever stepping on a court. But it is his decision and the decision of our coaching staff. they will make the best of it given his situation.

Just went and looked at his stats from the 05-06 year, before he was injured. He never got more than 6 rebounds a game and in the 5 games he scored double figures he shot at least 2 three’s. Not what I’m looking for with a PF, and aren’t we going to lose Coley and Mack the year we get him. We need to find someone else to fill the PF spot. Didn’t see anything that would garner player of the week in any conference though, don’t know what he’s talking about with that.

I don’t think anyone here wants to avoid the guy because of his injury. To put it bluntly: I don’t want a 3 point shooting big man. It doesn’t matter who he is. I don’t want a 6’8 PF that can only shoot the 3 ball. I think most people on here feel the same way, but I don’t want to speak for anyone else.

Learn to play inside if you’re 6’8 and a PF, or don’t come here, in my opinion. I’m sure he’s a great, nice, awesome guy, but there would be no room for a 3 point shooting PF on my dream team.

I don’t think Mr. Powell will develop a dominant inside game in 1.5 years, when he hasn’t done it yet… I’ll assume Clemson has very good big man coaches, so I don’t understand why he hasn’t developed an inside game yet.

[QUOTE=dax;281013]not mine. takes two years to come back from a knee injury that bad (need proof look at donovan mcnabb). we might get half a season out of him at most. not worth the risk. julius’ coach potentially screwed him over by making him come back earlier than he should have. horrible mistake by that coach.[/QUOTE]

As another poster has already said, he didn’t tear his ACL. McNabb did tear his. Big difference between tendonitis and a ligament tear.

You guys are forgetting that Lutz wants a face the basket PF that the offense can run thru. That is all he has ever recruited for that position. Look at Rodney White & Travis Garrison (recruited him ended up at Maryland) and you will see what Lutz wants in a PF. Before this year when we got pressed by other teams who usually brought the ball up… our 4.

[QUOTE=eason49;281056]I don’t think anyone here wants to avoid the guy because of his injury. To put it bluntly: I don’t want a 3 point shooting big man. It doesn’t matter who he is. I don’t want a 6’8 PF that can only shoot the 3 ball. I think most people on here feel the same way, but I don’t want to speak for anyone else.

Learn to play inside if you’re 6’8 and a PF, or don’t come here, in my opinion. I’m sure he’s a great, nice, awesome guy, but there would be no room for a 3 point shooting PF on my dream team.

I don’t think Mr. Powell will develop a dominant inside game in 1.5 years, when he hasn’t done it yet… I’ll assume Clemson has very good big man coaches, so I don’t understand why he hasn’t developed an inside game yet.[/QUOTE]

If Dirk Nowitzki was wanting to come to school here, eason wouldn’t want him. No one asked about your “dream team,” If I had my “dream team,” I doubt any current Niners would be on it.

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;281059]You guys are forgetting that Lutz wants a face the basket PF that the offense can run thru. That is all he has ever recruited for that position. Look at Rodney White & Travis Garrison (recruited him ended up at Maryland) and you will see what Lutz wants in a PF. Before this year when we got pressed by other teams who usually brought the ball up… our 4.[/QUOTE]

DOBA, Bobby wants a guy that can take you out in his offense. In Lutz’s offense our bigs are setting screens half the time anyways, so having the luxary of a guy who can hit the 3 when rolling out after setting a pick is nice.

And yes, another reason why Curt wasn’t as effective his senior year: He had to help bring the damn ball up.