Karen Aston Resigns

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/04/aston-resigns-from-womens-basketball.html

Thanks Coach, it has been a good run.

Best wishes going forward, coach. Appreciate everything you did while you were here.

wow I didn’t see that coming.

I saw it coming. Based on her comments she is sick of the lack of support from the U community and Charlotte as a whole. Seems she also had beef with the administration and the Charlotte media. Probably figures she can get a better gig somewhere else.

Resigning before taking another position though - I am very surprised about.

I’m not surprised by the announcement at all. Her complaints in a WNIT article recently and the low turnout at games compared to their success plus her being away from her family (also mentioned in that article) made me think she was going to leave soon if an offer came along.

Yeah, that says a lot. What exactly it says I have no idea.

Only thing I can see that might have made her resign before taking another position could potentially be a buyout related issue depending on how her contract was structured since she was signed through 2015.

Open positions sans ours, as of now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=6210938

The UCLA job would be a job that I would be interested in if I was her. But it could be to far away for her taste.

I have no clue why anyone from our school would ever have issues with the administration or the press.

Really hate to see her go. Would be nice if the school she’s going to has to pay us some money. Consolation prize I guess you could call it.

Is it too early to suggest a replacement?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Anyone got the link to the complaining article everyone’s talking about?

Did not see this coming, but it is completely understandable. Support in this community sucks.

wow… this hurts.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:15, topic:25245”]Did not see this coming, but it is completely understandable. Support in this community sucks.[/quote]Something is up. You don’t quit your job unless you have a bigger and better one lined up. Not in a profession like coaching where missing the hiring window means you sit out for a year for sure.

I like women’s hoops and go to some of the games, but any coach not in Knoxville, TN or Storrs, CT needs to be realistic. I doubt Aston thought she was going to draw 5000 people to her games. Heck, that would be more that 75% of the A-10 men’s teams do. She made it clear that the lack of coverage in the Observer during the NIT annoyed her, but you don’t quit your job over that.

I think that there must be more to this story than we know. Perhaps she has another gig lined up and will announce it, or maybe there is something personal going on that will take her out of coaching for now. I have no clue. Either way I think that we will find a good coach to replace her. It will be our 4th HC in 10 years and so far we have had winners.

I do remember the last O article saying she missed her family. I wonder if one of her parents is sick.
Good luck to you & your folks Coach!

Since we’re winning, it might be good to promote one of the assts. for continuity. It’s Sabrina’s 1st year as asst. so I wouldn’t expect it to be her, but Angela & Ken have been there as long as Karen. I could see one of them being the next coach.

@davidscott14 Don’t be surprised to see Karen Aston end up at North Texas, which has a vacancy and is near her Ark home. Longtime asst at Texas, Baylor

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/30/2182214/homegrown-womens-talent-stays.html#storylink=misearch