Karen Aston Resigns

Hope this doesn’t mess up the stellar recruiting class we have coming in.

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:13, topic:25245”]Is it too early to suggest a replacement?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)[/quote]

<33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

[quote=“HaltonHellraiser2, post:21, topic:25245”]Hope this doesn’t mess up the stellar recruiting class we have coming in.[/quote] How could it not? Even signed players who don’t ask out of LOI won’t respond to any new coach like they would have the one who recruited them. As for verbals, well that’s easy to figure out.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:19, topic:25245”]@davidscott14 Don’t be surprised to see Karen Aston end up at North Texas, which has a vacancy and is near her Ark home. Longtime asst at Texas, Baylor[/quote] That makes sense. I’m pretty sure that’s the school Angela Ortega coached at before here. Most folks would not resign to take a job considered to be lesser, assuming N. Texas is lesser than us. Karen isn’t like most folks.

If you promote one of the assts., like Angela, & keep the rest of the staff the same, that could keep recruits from bailing.

I knew we were in trouble last week when Karen started talking about missing family in Arkansas.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:25, topic:25245”]If you promote one of the assts., like Angela, & keep the rest of the staff the same, that could keep recruits from bailing.

I knew we were in trouble last week when Karen started talking about missing family in Arkansas.[/quote] IMO, Angela won’t stay here without Karen. They coached together at N. Texas in the 90’s and A.O is from Texas. :frowning:

Judy said there’s a $100,000 penalty in Karen’s contract if she leaves prior to 2015. I wonder how long she can go before coaching again and not have to pay this. Also, wondering if she’s been advised to say “resigning due to family” instead of taking another position as a way around having to pay. Leaving without another position is very strange unless there is a family illness and she wants/needs to get home quickly.

the ‘average fan’ will never know what went down here. her response after one of the wnit games re the O coverage sat me straight up! not a happy person! quite an edge!!
judy was obviously caught totally off guard!!! therefore, the family thing not likely. if that were actually the case, she’d have no doubt made some slight noises earlier…in conversations w/ judy at least.
my guess, which is the exact equivalent of all other uninformed guesses here, is that she wants to be in a situation where women’s bb is better respected than in charlotte. men’s bb–now fb. also see the posts on this site re the women’s game.

She did an excellent job with our program. We lost a heck of a coach today!! Good Luck in your future Coach!!

and i agree!!!

She was a very good coach. Even better than Amanda Butler.

Epiphany confirmed Angela is gone as well.

Things are falling into place nicely for Sabrina. <3

we’ll keep the next successful coach who galvanizes our fan-base.
we’ll loose the next successful coach who fails (again) to gain it.

blame the AD. marketing, etc. but by all means, look back on this site and read the comments.

put simply, nn.n does not support women’s bb. on numerous occasions, it has made very light of it. at best, women’s bb is an after-thought here.

we do, indeed, get what we deserve.

We ended up losing a great coach. And although I agree that fans got what they deserved I feel bad for the players that were affected by this. They were punished because the fans did not care.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:34, topic:25245”]blame the AD. marketing, etc. but by all means, look back on this site and read the comments.

put simply, nn.n does not support women’s bb. on numerous occasions, it has made very light of it. at best, women’s bb is an after-thought here.

we do, indeed, get what we deserve. [/quote]

I’m not blaming anybody. But in all honesty, does any other message board spend much time on women’s hoops? I think it’s naive to blame it on NNN.

women’s bball is valued at very few schools in the country. Our men’s team probably only drew 3-4000 a game this year, that likely hurt the women’s attendance as well.

Our men’s basketball team affects the interest in all other sports on campus.

This place is the last place to blame it on. Most of the supporters the women have are on here.

I sincerely hope she didn’t quit because of the O coverage. Our men’s team is an afterthought to the Observer, so what kind of coverage did she think she was going to get for the women? It would have taken a deep NCAA run to get our women’s team much coverage.

I’ll be really disappointed if she left for any other reason than family. She chose to come here, and leaving now with the class she has coming in does not make any sense otherwise.

The Observer article mentioned that we were 3rd in the A10 in attendance for women’s games. Respectable in my opinion.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2011/4/6/2095399/karen-aston-resigns-from-unc-charlotte