Karen Aston Resigns

Wow!! So I assume North Texas has a hefty buyout clause to pay?? Wonder if she told Judy she was outta here the minute a Texas job opened up?

You just have to think it was a sudden family thing or Aston would have put out feelers and found something better than North Texas. They went 5-25 this season and haven’t more than 12 wins since 05-06. The team doesn’t have much size, and there are 4 freshmen and 5 sophomores on the team. I wouldn’t expect them to be better anytime soon. On the other hand, we have a strong team coming off a great season. Plenty of coaches are going to want to step into this job.

[quote=“Nugget, post:42, topic:25245”]You just have to think it was a sudden family thing or Aston would have put out feelers and found something better than North Texas. They went 5-25 this season and haven’t more than 12 wins since 05-06. The team doesn’t have much size, and there are 4 freshmen and 5 sophomores on the team. I wouldn’t expect them to be better anytime soon. On the other hand, we have a strong team coming off a great season. Plenty of coaches are going to want to step into this job.[/quote] Temporary big step down career wise, but jobs in coaching for a person of Karen’s ability will always be there. She can be with her family while they still are here, and coach some Big 12 team after they are gone. Meanwhile, go Mean Green! (That’s N. Texas)

Hopefully Judy isn’t running of women’s coaches now, since women’s sports are her bread and butter…

Taking a much lower level job with a big recruiting class is disturbing.

If attendance or support is the real issue, she needs a reality check. Women’s basketball just isn’t that popular and if we are 3rd in attendance in the A10, I would say that is pretty good.

If it is family-related I wish her the best.

Well, can’t say I’m not disappointed. But I think I can totally understand Aston’s point of view, particularly with the local media which we all know is awful covering local college sports. I’m not going to speculate more on something I know nothing about.

Thank you Coach Aston for all you’ve done for Charlotte. Your run to the FF of the WNIT was awesome - You were the ONLY womens BB team in the state to make that kind of run this year. Very best of luck in whatever you do next.

Women’s basketball is what drives the bus. Ask any athletic dept. The fans got what they deserved since this is totally the fans’ fault for not supporting women’s basketball or giving the WNIT enough credit. Didn’t you read the women’s basketball placard ad that was wire staked in the ground? Aw, now look what you’ve all done. You’ve gotten Dale Halton all upset. Are you happy now? Effing fans.

Wow!! So I assume North Texas has a hefty buyout clause to pay?? Wonder if she told Judy she was outta here the minute a Texas job opened up?[/quote]
Could be. But if someone willfully circumvents the language of their contract (resigning in order to eliminate the buyout) - that’s grounds to taking a case to an arbiter.

Then what? Judy looks like a total ass for fighting someone whose reasons for departure are based on family. After all, the AD masks their small time commitment by cultivating this phony baloney image of one big happy family with Judy at the head of this idyllic Norman Rockwell thanksgiving day table.

Well played, Karen. Well played.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:34, topic:25245”]we’ll keep the next successful coach who galvanizes our fan-base.
we’ll loose the next successful coach who fails (again) to gain it.

blame the AD. marketing, etc. but by all means, look back on this site and read the comments.

put simply, nn.n does not support women’s bb. on numerous occasions, it has made very light of it. at best, women’s bb is an after-thought here.

we do, indeed, get what we deserve.
[/quote]

This is the best post ever… unless it is serious.

Silver Lining: Alan Major just became the winningest basketball coach employed by UNC Charlotte

[quote=“earlyniner, post:34, topic:25245”]we’ll keep the next successful coach who galvanizes our fan-base.

blame the AD. marketing, etc. but by all means, look back on this site and read the comments.

put simply, nn.n does not support women’s bb. on numerous occasions, it has made very light of it. [b]at best, women’s bb is an after-thought here.

[/b]
[/quote]

Good luck to her finding a place where it’s not. Last I checked UCONN and Tennessee had coaches.

My 2 cents -

Community involvement seems to be just about everything in womens basketball. I went to a lady vols game this year… 95% of the people there were families or people that are grandparents age. More grandmothers with their granddaughters who clearly aspire to be lady vols one day than anything.

Student turnout was poor. And they were a top 5 team.

If its that way at one of the only “big” womens basketball schools in the country - why expect it to be much different anywhere else?

I’m really bummed about karen leaving. She was a lot of fun to watch over the years. I wish her the best and completely understand moving for family.

Student support at Charlotte is better than it is here at MS State, although arguably more of the community comes out for the team. Hate to see her go.

I would think the family issues would affect Karen leaving more than support issues. Other than UConn or a town with nothing to do with Toledo, there isn’t going to be support for women’s programs.

Those of us who showed up were loud. The players were loyal, & we have an Athletic Admin. that cares about women’s sports. Any other school, Karen will be lucky if the Athletic Admin. even knows who the Women’s B-Ball HC is.

And Karen if you’re reading this… I hope your family gets better if someone is sick. I thought last night, instead of resigning, why not take a year as a leave of absence to be with your family.

Does survivor 45 hate everyone?

I don’t think N Tex will hurt to much to pay us $100K. They’ve been to a bowl before.

Weak! :’(

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:48, topic:25245”][quote=“earlyniner, post:34, topic:25245”]we’ll keep the next successful coach who galvanizes our fan-base.

put simply, nn.n does not support women’s bb. on numerous occasions, it has made very light of it. at best, women’s bb is an after-thought here.

[/quote]

This is the best post ever… unless it is serious.[/quote]

i really hate to let go of ‘the best post ever’,
however…
i’m not ready to say. ‘let’s agree that women’s BB is going to be 3rd or 4th tier at charlotte b/c that’s the way it is.’ my thought is that we have a great opportunity to place ourselves among the elite…because…other programs are so stuck on other stuff.
we have a chance with major going forward. baseball is kicking more ass every season. football is on the way. women’s soccer is continuing to bud out. men’s soccer … not shabby!!! golf has been stellar.
there are a half-dozen women’s bb programs that are recognizably ‘at-the-top’. that’s the clearest way on up!
don’t glance away now.

lol! sarcasm, sck, sarcasm. :smiley:

Besides, I don’t think I hate enough! I’ve gotta start wishing horrible things to happen to folks like Spears or Lutz to fit in better.

:)) :)) :)) I love it!!! I told you all the Judy Rose and the University of NORTH CAROLINA at charlotte would get what they deserve… I loved the quote “I didn’t see this coming or wasn’t expecting it” from Judy …We’ll guess what dumb witch…neither did Bobby…I hope you get it next…UNCC is a joke…

[quote=“ninerdad101, post:57, topic:25245”]:)) :)) :)) I love it!!! I told you all the Judy Rose and the University of NORTH CAROLINA at charlotte would get what they deserve… I loved the quote “I didn’t see this coming or wasn’t expecting it” from Judy …We’ll guess what dumb witch…neither did Bobby…I hope you get it next…UNCC is a joke…[/quote] You are my favorite poster, ninerdad!!! Try to understand a simple concept. People who are looking to change jobs don’t usually go their bosses and say " Well, I’m pretty happy here, but circumstances dictate that I look elsewhere for employment." Are you with so far, ninerdad? Thus the boss is usually surprised and sometimes a little annoyed or angry in the moment. Most bosses aren’t interviewed for publication that day. Can you comprehend so far, ninerdad or do i need to use simpler words? Karen left principally to be nearer her family. She wasn’t pissed off with the AD. She wanted more people in the stands because she wanted more recognition for her players, but that wasn’t what caused her to go back to Texas, nor was any conflict with Judy the reason. I don’t know if you are a troll or a legitimate psycho. Either way, please seek professional help at once.

Bobby totally saw it coming

Niner Dad 101 you’re right. Karen’s mom got sick just to piss Judy off. You damn moron.