Key question that needs to be asked....

How long do we give Lutz to turn things around? Many on this board believe he can and will. While I am not as optimistic with Bobby as our head coach (and how serious doubts if he can turn things around), how long does he have to turn things around before a change is seriously called for??

His contract runs two years. I think this is a frivolous debate unless someone opens up their checkbook and strokes a big one to buy him out.

His contract ends in two years. If there is not continuos improvement over the next two years, he should not even be given a pen to re-sign with.

He gets no contract extension. At the MOST we let him play out his contract. If we have a sweet 16 year between now and then, he stays. If not, out the door with him. Maybe less, if we could find someone good in the offseason, Id say we do it then. I think a component though is going to be finding a good replcacement, and not just picking up someone else who’s gonna remain mediocre.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;215646]He gets no contract extension. At the MOST we let him play out his contract. If we have a sweet 16 year between now and then, he stays. If not, out the door with him. Maybe less, if we could find someone good in the offseason, Id say we do it then. I think a component though is going to be finding a good replcacement, and not just picking up someone else who’s gonna remain mediocre.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is recruiting w/o a contract extension is harder regardless of where you are.

Most of the people calling for Lutz’s contract to be bought out are the same ones ending their purchase of season tickets and withdrawing their support from the 49er Club. I’m trying to figure out how their math works if they think both are possible.

[QUOTE=X-49er;215652]Most of the people calling for Lutz’s contract to be bought out are the same ones ending their purchase of season tickets and withdrawing their support from the 49er Club. I’m trying to figure out how their math works if they think both are possible. [/QUOTE]

wanna substantiate that?

OK, I understand the salary issue. However, there is a break point here still. Someone tel me how next year is supposed to be any better than this year? My guess is it is another mediocre season in a mediocre conf. That leaves one year on Lutz’s contract. Someone aptly pointed out you can’t recruit under that scenario. That’s it, game over. Lutz has at best one year left. It’s pretty obvious. Next year is a transition year IMHO.

In my opinion, if in two years the play is the same, it’s time to say goodbye to Lutz and not resign his contact. We can’t continue to accept mediocre play because getting rit of the coach some how hurts recruiting.

[QUOTE=metro;215656]wanna substantiate that?[/QUOTE]

Howso? If the 20 or so on here are telling the truth (that they are not buying season tix anymore or donating to the 49er Club any longer), then that’s a good start. On a slow day, I’ll start putting that together for you.

[QUOTE=switchfoot;215661]In my opinion, if in two years the play is the same, it’s time to say goodbye to Lutz and not resign his contact. We can’t continue to accept mediocre play because getting rit of the coach some how hurts recruiting.[/QUOTE]

What was pointed out was that we can’t afford to buy out Lutz’s contract, and with no extension a highly touted recruit is not likely to sign assuming that the coach recruiting him will not be there when they arrive on campus. Like Lutz or not, he will be here for 2 more seasons.

X, I see Lutz’s last year being bought out. Next year is it.

PS: I will continue to give to the 49er club (In fact will increase my contribution a wee bit) but will NOT buy season tickets again until something changes for the better with mens bb.

Most of the people calling for Lutz's contract to be bought out are the same ones ending their purchase of season tickets and withdrawing their support from the 49er Club. I'm trying to figure out how their math works if they think both are possible. [IMG]http://www.abcwebworx.com/smilies/favorites/favorites64.gif[/IMG]

I’m guessing that the people wanting Lutz out would settle for a resignation so that a buy-out is irrelevant. With that said, Lutz isn’t going to resign because the job pays well and it could be career suicide (though this season is aiding that already). I agree that he’ll be here through the duration of his contract but I do not see us getting any better. Unfortunately, we’re so incredibly bad this year that it really won’t take much next year to be considered a better year.

I plan on buying season tickets again next year, which I’ve done every year since graduating in 1996. But I’ll certainly have the right to voice my discontent with Bobby and this program should he not turn things around. I just don’t see him waking up one day and suddenly being able to coach defense and not rely on 3-pointers to win games. That’s my biggest beef with him outside of recruiting guys who I feel rarely live up to their hype.

[QUOTE=NinerFan;215692]X, I see Lutz’s last year being bought out. Next year is it.

PS: I will continue to give to the 49er club (In fact will increase my contribution a wee bit) but will NOT buy season tickets again until something changes for the better with mens bb.[/QUOTE]

That would greatly depend on what the actual amount is. If it’s more than $300K, I don’t see it happening. I figure that the buyout amount is whatever his base salary is. We can’t fund all of our athletic programs, so I don’t see us paying Lutz a huge sum of money just to pay another coach a similar amount when we have bigger monetary problems. By no means am I in support of a buyout, and I don’t see it being financially possible either.

He won’t resign because he thinks he can be better.

The guys we have aren’t the greatest talent in the world, BUT they could be winning more games with better coaching no questions asked… I mean the three thing is KILLING me.

i see two situations approaching…

1. bobby stays through his contract simply because we can’t afford a new coach and to buy out lutz’s remaining year(s)

2. judy finds a solid coach with some name recognition for whom she can get a big spender to drop $300k or more to buy out lutz’s contract. i think this is totally plausible. there are people out there who will drop the big bucks for the right coach and to be the person responsible for turning the program around. however, we won’t know its happening until it happens.

2) judy finds a solid coach with some name recognition for whom she can get a big spender to drop $300k or more to buy out lutz's contract. i think this is totally plausible. there are people out there who will drop the big bucks for the right coach and to be the person responsible for turning the program around. [B]however, we won't know its happening until it happens.[/B]

Unless someone comes on here and makes a few of those oh so popular cryptic posts. Maybe kinda like this one I am making right now…:naughty:

I think the pressure will really be on Lutz next year. We lost our last 4 games of the 2005 season. We were 19-13 last year. We are 9-12 so far this year. So since March of 2005, we have a record of 28 wins and 30 losses. Not good… and things seem to be getting worse. We can no longer call these rebuilding years or “bumps in the road.” This is the start of a trend. Basketball is still our bread and butter… the only sport we have that most of our alumni pay any attention to. If Lutz has another supbar season next year, he needs to go. Don’t keep him around because he only has one more year left… we need to turn this thing around before we fall too far. We need to give the fans a reason to get excited about 49er basketball again.

Can Lutz turn things around next year? I really hope so, but I don’t think we have enough talent coming in to replace the guys we are losing (DA, EJ, Dump Truck, Jamison, etc.)… not right away at least.

I think we need to leverage our future and buy the guy out. There has to be some sort of “creative accounting” measures we can use to get this done. I agree that next year is make or break for Bobby and by then, the damage will be done. We lose our top two players this year and based on the performance of our most recent recruits, I have no faith that the newest batch is going to be able dramatically turn things around. It’s time to make a move.

[QUOTE=49erPress;215709]there are people out there who will drop the big bucks for the right coach and to be the person responsible for turning the program around. however, we won’t know its happening until it happens.[/QUOTE]

now that’s funny…our annual giving for athletics sucks, so i don’t see anyone stepping up to the plate to buy out his contract

Double-edge sword…if he doesn’t turn it around in 2 years he is likely out of here (no renewal)…if he turns it around, gets us back in the tournament and we win a game (anything less wouldn’t be a turnaround) he will leave anyway b/c 1) he has no contract and 2) Bigger names will be knocking on the door yet again. Either way we lose out in two years without an extension IMO