KY post game

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:20, topic:29985”]Wait, what’s the issue with the Norm/laundry room commercial? I’ve always thought it was funny enough for a low-cost production kinda deal.[/quote]What does that commercial have to do with UNC Charlotte? What is it selling? Do we even have a laundromat on campus? What’s the overall message? How does it match with “Stake Your Claim”?

Did anyone else catch the beanies that the coaches were wearing? Green and white beanies with the old Norm logo.

Has anyone seen these before?

It makes us look like a Jr High School in Boogerville, not a research institution with nearly 27,000 students, with a full slate of Division I athletics programs (see judy thread to debate this part).

It’s lazy, cheap, and paints a misleading picture of what we are. This whole school, not just the AD needs a real marketing professional to show the country what we actually are. It looks like we have “2 dudes, a camera and a 25 dollar bag of weed” production company

I think the commercial by itself is not that bad and kinda of funny. The problem is it doesn’t connect to an overall strategy and when it is basically the primary commercial we use it doesn’t paint us favorably. If you knew nothing of UNC Charlotte what does that commercial tell you? Is that the image we want to sell?

I’m not sure how a mascot doing laundry (poorly) correlates with staking one’s claim anymore than a mascot struggling with a microscope as the awful Martin Klotz blissfully walks by.

Other schools have commercials promoting their accomplishments. We have commercials of our mascot doing laundry.

[quote=“chargrad2008, post:22, topic:29985”]Did anyone else catch the beanies that the coaches were wearing? Green and white beanies with the old Norm logo.

Has anyone seen these before?[/quote]

I thought I was seeing things, but glad to see someone else saw the old Norm logos out there.

Anyone know if that $900k we got is enough to cover the money we owe Major?

That professor is not even employed by UNC Charlotte anymore.

It makes us look like a Jr High School in Boogerville, not a research institution with nearly 27,000 students, with a full slate of Division I athletics programs (see judy thread to debate this part).

It’s lazy, cheap, and paints a misleading picture of what we are. This whole school, not just the AD needs a real marketing professional to show the country what we actually are. It looks like we have “2 dudes, a camera and a 25 dollar bag of weed” production company [/quote]

Ok, I can see these points. It’s low budget, obviously, which doesn’t reflect the fact that we’re attempting to promote a brand that is part of a multi-million dollar business. I guess my perception is skewed. I was lucky enough to audition and earn a spot as the “Charlotte Super Fan” in 6 Charlotte basketball commercials for the 1997-1998 season. A day of shooting, with various comical scenes that included cheerleaders, Norm and coach Watkins.

Now that I think of it, they appear to be the SAME quality today. Seemed like it fit back then, with the commercials meant for local viewers of the local channel who aired a select few games back then. I guess it IS pretty disappointing to know we don’t put anything more into our commercials 18 years later…in fact, maybe less. They are 15 second spots now, right? And only rotate a couple for multiple years, right? Back then it was 30 second spots, and we had 6 for one season.

BTW - I’ve tried and tried to track down a copy of these commercials since my VHS from back then disappeared years ago. Would love to show my kid one day that I was a local TV star for his future school, haha. If anyone remembers the name of the station that aired games back then, let me know. I know they don’t exist anymore. Or more importantly, any idea how someone could track that kind of thing down after so much time has passed.

Nothing on youtube? That’s too bad, that would have been a cool thing to have (I feel like pulling up Glory Days by Springsteen right now)

Yea. Also, the stake your claim as campaign want designed to promote the university to the world at large. It was intended to try to get locals to buy into the brand and the university in general.

I bet the person who made that commercial Hates the way it’s being used.

It’s lazy, cheap, and paints a misleading picture of what we are. This whole school, not just the AD needs a real marketing professional to show the country what we actually are. It looks like we have “2 dudes, a camera and a 25 dollar bag of weed” production company [/quote]

Ok, I can see these points. It’s low budget, obviously, which doesn’t reflect the fact that we’re attempting to promote a brand that is part of a multi-million dollar business. I guess my perception is skewed. I was lucky enough to audition and earn a spot as the “Charlotte Super Fan” in 6 Charlotte basketball commercials for the 1997-1998 season. A day of shooting, with various comical scenes that included cheerleaders, Norm and coach Watkins.

Now that I think of it, they appear to be the SAME quality today. Seemed like it fit back then, with the commercials meant for local viewers of the local channel who aired a select few games back then. I guess it IS pretty disappointing to know we don’t put anything more into our commercials 18 years later…in fact, maybe less. They are 15 second spots now, right? And only rotate a couple for multiple years, right? Back then it was 30 second spots, and we had 6 for one season.

BTW - I’ve tried and tried to track down a copy of these commercials since my VHS from back then disappeared years ago. Would love to show my kid one day that I was a local TV star for his future school, haha. If anyone remembers the name of the station that aired games back then, let me know. I know they don’t exist anymore. Or more importantly, any idea how someone could track that kind of thing down after so much time has passed.[/quote]
WAXN (Action 64) used to air many of our games in the 90s.

Do we even have one of those commercials that most schools have with the powerful voice, images of buildings, statues, lectures and sporting events?

You would think we would want to highlight things like EPIC to the masses.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:33, topic:29985”]Do we even have one of those commercials that most schools have with the powerful voice, images of buildings, statues, lectures and sporting events?

You would think we would want to highlight things like EPIC to the masses.[/quote]
This was shown to the BOG when they met on campus. It’d need to be edited down for television, but I think it’s pretty well done.

[quote=“emf, post:34, topic:29985”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:33, topic:29985”]Do we even have one of those commercials that most schools have with the powerful voice, images of buildings, statues, lectures and sporting events?

You would think we would want to highlight things like EPIC to the masses.[/quote]
This was shown to the BOG when they met on campus. It’d need to be edited down for television, but I think it’s pretty well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H38Wli4NGk[/quote]
Really good video.

I love the old southern city accents like Hugh McColl has. Unfortunately those are dying out. The southern country accents remain, but the southern urban accents are quickly becoming extinct.

[quote=“emf, post:34, topic:29985”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:33, topic:29985”]Do we even have one of those commercials that most schools have with the powerful voice, images of buildings, statues, lectures and sporting events?

That’s my favorite too.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:36, topic:29985”][quote=“emf, post:34, topic:29985”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:33, topic:29985”]Do we even have one of those commercials that most schools have with the powerful voice, images of buildings, statues, lectures and sporting events?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H38Wli4NGk[/quote]

That’s my favorite too.[/quote]
LOL, look what just showed up on the Twitter machine:

@TattooProjects New tv spot for UNC Charlotte!
https://twitter.com/TattooProjects/status/668871600750637057

(same firm that did the laundry and lab commercials)
http://www.tattooprojects.com/portfolio-project/uncc-stake-your-claim/

…aaaand after three tweets, the link to the new commercial

Makes me want to buy a Ram tough truck for some reason.

This deserves a new thread, IMHO. Hope you don’t mind EMF.

Already started one :slight_smile:

Rip 49er FB.