La Sall Post Game

Good game, we just dont have the horses. Cant handle the ball at the end of the game (their press late in the game killed us) or hit foul shots (and our best shooters were the ones missing). I’ll make an excuse and say the guys were tired (which is probably pretty true). KJ played a monster game.

We had hit almost every foul shot earlier. I agree about being tired. Those free throws are much more difficult to make when the legs are tired. I don’t understand our D when we were up by 3 with 10 seconds left. We did not even force them to pick up the ball until it got to mid court and then we gave them a wide open 3. I’m also not a fan of the final shots we took at the end of regulation or the end of overtime.

Exactly. How do you fail a class about your own people. :confused:

[quote=“Basden05, post:3, topic:24861”]Sherill 24 points and 13 rebounds on only 8 shots. Wow

If someone had told me at the start of the season Sherill and JB would be out leading scorers I would have said no way in hell.

We tried our hearts out, just don’t have the depth do go that long.

Future is very bright[/quote]

That’s because he had 18 FTs! Not to be a Debbie Downer, but KJs stats are bit misleading. That’s really not meant to discredit KJ. He can’t control the whistle, etc. But it was a 2OT game, their top 2 rebounders fouled out and he attempted 18 fts.

We had hit almost every foul shot earlier. I agree about being tired. Those free throws are much more difficult to make when the legs are tired. I don’t understand our D when we were up by 3 with 10 seconds left. We did not even force them to pick up the ball until it got to mid court and then we gave them a wide open 3. I’m also not a fan of the final shots we took at the end of regulation or the end of overtime.[/quote]

This really is baffling. I understand that you can argue whether to foul when you’re up 3 until the cows come home. But I don’t understand how you don’t pressure the guy to pick up the ball. And I don’t understand how you don’t really focus on their best 3pt shooter.

As already mentioned, FTs at the end of the game killed us. But also…when Bras picked up his 4th foul, the momentum of the game changed. I think he had to sit around 10 minutes and we also stretched the lead to around 10, right before he got the 4th.

Other killers, Barnett tipping in a basket for them.

Sirin committing the intentional foul.

Derrio going 2-15 from the field.

The no foul call on the defender defending Derrio, right in front of our bench. Then calling the ball tipped off of Derrio’s leg. That was the closest I’ve seen Major to getting a T.

Dewhurst 0 points.

12 assist, 16 turnovers.

When did we hire Jim Caldwell?

They’re down 3 at the end of the game with no timeouts, so they’ll have to run the play without talking it over with the coach…

So we call a timeout.

WE CALL A TIMEOUT.

So they can talk over what play they want to run to tie the game.

We came out and ran the same zone defense we ran the entire game. No changes. We called a timeout to make no changes.

They made a wide open 3 in the weak spot of a 2-3 zone. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and executed it perfectly to tie it.

We called a timeout that helped them get the play they wanted.

That’s stupid as hell.

Who actually called it?

Major called the timeout.

obviously any type of foul trouble and we are in trouble. That’s what happened again tonight.

Then, again we had a chance to win with game tied and the ball and Derrio wanted to do it himself starting his drive way to late.

Then leaving 12 wide open and not pressuring the ball up 3 with 15 seconds left. He was obvious the guy to not let shoot.

FTs and bad decisions by players and coaching and we r now 1-6 in conf play.

Impressed with KJ’s game and JB’s first half. KJ got to the line a lot due to establishing great post position on the block. He single handedly fouled Murray out of the game in OT.

We have obvious flaws, but can not question the heart. I thought the game was over when Braz got his 4th foul early.

I really wish Dew would attack the rim when he penetrates, he still elevates really well and is an above average FT shooter.

Braz rushes after he gets an offensive rebound. He needs to work on composing himself, then going up strong (strong doesn’t have to be a dunk).

JB was ultra assertive in the first half and then disappeared after he hit a 3 early in the 2nd half. If he can sustain his aggressiveness on offense, he could position himself to have a great Senior campaign.

Derrio needs to reel it in on offense, if it ain’t falling, become a distributor or attack the rim.

FTFY

thought we had this game in the bag, but like every game we play it all matters at the last 30 seconds.

i will be drinking heavily before the xavier game now

Ouch. Just ouch. With only 7 scholorship players we were the better team and had this won - then gave it away. I don’t see many more wins on the schedule.

This really is baffling. I understand that you can argue whether to foul when you’re up 3 until the cows come home. But I don’t understand how you don’t pressure the guy to pick up the ball. And I don’t understand how you don’t really focus on their best 3pt shooter.[/quote]

“Baffling” indeed. I don’t understand why we gave them an open 3. I refuse to get into the foul vs don’t-foul argument, but we should have never given them the open 3. I’m also a little surprised we have not seen many complaints about not fouling in that situation. That’s all our fans were talking about last year after we let Richmond tie the game the same way.

Yep. Same scenario as the Richmond game we blew at home last year. I was also yelling to closely defend that guy as I guessed they’d set him up for the shot…and they did…DAMMIT!! >:( >:D

We had hit almost every foul shot earlier. I agree about being tired. Those free throws are much more difficult to make when the legs are tired. I don’t understand our D when we were up by 3 with 10 seconds left. We did not even force them to pick up the ball until it got to mid court and then we gave them a wide open 3. I’m also not a fan of the final shots we took at the end of regulation or the end of overtime.[/quote]

This really is baffling. I understand that you can argue whether to foul when you’re up 3 until the cows come home. But I don’t understand how you don’t pressure the guy to pick up the ball. And I don’t understand how you don’t really focus on their best 3pt shooter.[/quote]

You don’t foul when they’re shooting the 3, you PLAY TOUGH D BEFORE, and if you foul, it’s JUST 1 or 2 shots. Then you get the ball back WITH AT LEAST A 1 POINT LEAD. Yes, How do you NOT focus on their 3 pt shooter?!?!? Just like last year’s home loss vs richmond. DAMMIT!!

You don’t foul when they’re shooting the 3, you PLAY TOUGH D BEFORE, and if you foul, it’s JUST 1 or 2 shots. Then you get the ball back WITH AT LEAST A 1 POINT LEAD. Yes, How do you NOT focus on their 3 pt shooter?!?!? Just like last year’s home loss vs richmond. DAMMIT!![/quote]I have no idea why some coaches won’t foul in this situation. It makes no sense. Major used the same philosophy in another game this year and got away with it. This time he didn’t. He needs to get his head out of his ass.

Our guard play is just awful. I really don’t know any other way to put it. They just aren’t good at anything. I’ll be happy to have KJ, Bras and maybe Barnette back next year but other than that, Jesus Christ, God help us. Thank you very little Bobby Lutz.

“Baffling” indeed. I don’t understand why we gave them an open 3. I refuse to get into the foul vs don’t-foul argument, but we should have never given them the open 3. I’m also a little surprised we have not seen many complaints about not fouling in that situation. That’s all our fans were talking about last year after we let Richmond tie the game the same way.[/quote]

I said it last year. I still think its the right move. Although, last year, I really didn’t want to give the conference player of the year a chance to shoot the 3. LaSalle was far less dangerous (we just stupidly didnt extend the d on their only shooter), but we still should have pressured the ball then fouled on the dribble when they got to half court.

I guess I didn’t harp on it this year because we were so bad trying to break pressure and hit free throws late, and we had so few players in this game. Well, that, and this game doesn’t really mean anything other than getting better for next year. This year has been over for awhile. Last year, I felt we could still accomplish something.

Not fouling up 3 also doomed us in the Coastal game in Charleston. Had the lead the entire game. Guy hit the 3 to send to OT with about 3 seconds left.

Not pressuring and leaving 12 open was the real blunder though.