La Sall Post Game

I like Deuce and DG! They can both play. Just have to find a way for them to click. Charlie Fredrick was very blunt in his assessment of DG after the game. Said can drive, score, winner but not a good shooter. That the stats don’t lie. 33% in his 2 yrs.

Boy, next year better be a significant improvement, like +18 wins or I sense a whole lot of folks will be looking for work elsewhere…

[quote=“eason49, post:27, topic:24861”]When did we hire Jim Caldwell?

They’re down 3 at the end of the game with no timeouts, so they’ll have to run the play without talking it over with the coach…

So we call a timeout.

WE CALL A TIMEOUT.

So they can talk over what play they want to run to tie the game.

We came out and ran the same zone defense we ran the entire game. No changes. We called a timeout to make no changes.

They made a wide open 3 in the weak spot of a 2-3 zone. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and executed it perfectly to tie it.

We called a timeout that helped them get the play they wanted.

That’s stupid as hell.[/quote]

This…Major’s end game management was and has been HORRIBLE. 3 out of 4 OT losses

Major’s decision making/coaching this year off the court and on, has been just as bad as the players decision making/playing off the court and on.

If we as 49er fans are going to give COACH MAJOR A PASS this year and not hold him accountable for this mess. Then the players deserve a PASS too.

Highly unlikely the coaching staff is in any trouble after year 2 unless something terribly extreme happens.

The same was true when Lutz made this very same choice last year. Too many other things can go wrong. K-state tried to foul in this situation against Xavier in the tournament, got there a bit late and fouled a 3-pt shooter, who hit all three and sent it to another overtime. Miss St. fouled Kentucky up three, Kentucky hit the first, got the rebound and putback off the second to send it to another overtime. You also risk the inconsistently called intentional foul (maybe your player overdoes it just a bit or the other player really plays it up). And if there’s more than 5 seconds left in the game, that extends the game and you have to inbound it again (so your guys better know the situation and act correctly, i.e. after ~ 5 sec or less, but before they are actually shooting a 3). The alternative is to extend the D out to the 3-pt line and make them hit an extremely low-percentage shot, particularly if you blanket their best 3 pt shooters with one or two of your best defenders. If you are playing a team with 3-5 good 3 pt shooters, a foul makes more sense. If you’re playing a team with very few good shooters (LaSalle e.g.), fouling is probably worse than defending the 3-line.

Now you could definitely complain about the defense we were playing in this situation. The mistake some coaches make is that they play too soft to avoid a foul and end up giving a wide open look to a good shooter. Major needs to teach the players how to defend the 3 pt line in these end-game situations.

Given the facts you list, this is an unfortunately mind boggling call indeed.

Rookie coach = headaches at time. While it sucks, Major, like our players can and should learn from all experiences. This would have hurt me more if we were “in the hunt.” Once Braz went out with his 4th, my expectations to win the game were 0%.

Shoutout again to KJ for keeping us in the game.

[quote=“sokool, post:43, topic:24861”][quote=“eason49, post:27, topic:24861”]When did we hire Jim Caldwell?

They’re down 3 at the end of the game with no timeouts, so they’ll have to run the play without talking it over with the coach…

So we call a timeout.

WE CALL A TIMEOUT.

So they can talk over what play they want to run to tie the game.

We came out and ran the same zone defense we ran the entire game. No changes. We called a timeout to make no changes.

They made a wide open 3 in the weak spot of a 2-3 zone. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and executed it perfectly to tie it.

We called a timeout that helped them get the play they wanted.

That’s stupid as hell.[/quote]

This…Major’s end game management was and has been HORRIBLE. 3 out of 4 OT losses

Major’s decision making/coaching this year off the court and on, has been just as bad as the players decision making/playing off the court and on.

If we as 49er fans are going to give COACH MAJOR A PASS this year and not hold him accountable for this mess. Then the players deserve a PASS too.[/quote]
Dont blame the timeout on Major. I was front row behind the bench. The refs were confused on who wanted a timeout. Our coaches were saying “They dont have timeout” to the refs etc. Somehow we wound up being charged the timeout. And Major was like “?What?”

a few thoughts. first, kj still isnt getting enough credit on the board for his performance. if he keeps playing like this we will all enjoy watching him play in the nba in a few years. offensively, rebounding, shot blocking he does it all. second, barnett and the entire backcourt dissapeared. this makes me think nickerson may indeed start next season over barnett. why did we not pressure the ball like la salle did to us? we let them regroup and get a good shot off and what about derrios lack of urgency on that last second heave? i think we are gonna see some major lineup changes next season with the eight new guys coming in. braswells lack of touch around the rim is embarrasing. if he makes half of those bunnies he has twenty at the half. to me kj is our best player and has the best long term potential. i see a lineup next season of briscoe, derrio, nickerson, sherrill and braswell.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:49, topic:24861”]a few thoughts. first, kj still isnt getting enough credit on the board for his performance. if he keeps playing like this we will all enjoy watching him play in the nba in a few years. offensively, rebounding, shot blocking he does it all. second, barnett and the entire backcourt dissapeared. this makes me think nickerson may indeed start next season over barnett. why did we not pressure the ball like la salle did to us? we let them regroup and get a good shot off and what about derrios lack of urgency on that last second heave? i think we are gonna see some major lineup changes next season with the eight new guys coming in. braswells lack of touch around the rim is embarrasing. if he makes half of those bunnies he has twenty at the half. to me kj is our best player and has the best long term potential. i see a lineup next season of briscoe, derrio, nickerson, sherrill and braswell.[/quote]No Mayfield? In the preseason Green-White game he looked like a starter to me.

http://greentintedglasses.net/2011/01/la-salle-postgame/

I like KJ’s ability to draw contact inside and get to the line, that kind of thing is a huge intangible. I changed my mind, he should start next year, I would say this year, but its a huge risk to have him and Braswell susceptible of fouling at the same time. The only question is which guard gets benched for DeMario.

I don’t see Derrio starting next year. Who knows, maybe we have a different backscourt starting overall.

im just betting on the fact we will be a lot better once Major gets the recruits he wants. I dont see Sirin doing anything at all unless he puts on a few pounds of muscle because he is so weak on the court.

I have no idea what the future will bring. I do know that we’re going to be bringing back 4 of the 5 starters from this team. I know that we’re going to be bigger and deeper than we are right now. I suspect that we’ll probably see man to man next year.

I don’t know if we will be better, but I suspect that we will. I think Derrio might actually start at PG next year with Deuce coming off the bench. Or vice versa. I don’t think Luka is better than either of them and I’m not sure Williams is either. I’m pretty confident that Mayfield will have a starting spot next year though.

[quote=“charlotteguy88, post:48, topic:24861”]Dont blame the timeout on Major. I was front row behind the bench. The refs were confused on who wanted a timeout. Our coaches were saying “They dont have timeout” to the refs etc. Somehow we wound up being charged the timeout. And Major was like “?What?”[/quote]Weird. I don’t understand how that would happen, but I will take your word for it. I don’t get why the refs would think someone called TO if La Salle didn’t have one and we didn’t call one.

Because officials make mistakes. Remember the inadvertant whistle when we were on a fast break earlier this season?

Because officials make mistakes. Remember the inadvertant whistle when we were on a fast break earlier this season?[/quote]

Uh then they should have got a T! Once again the refs screw us… I’m not even expecting “home cooking” from the refs but a fair fight would be nice every once in a while.

The refs didn’t screw us in this game. We screwed ourselves.

Refs didnt have anything to do with us losing last night, we squandered multiple opportunities to close the game out b

There were some pretty poor calls - but they went both ways. I mean Braz basically pushed a guy outta bounds and no call. So I think they sucked equally for both teams.