La Sall Post Game

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:49, topic:24861”]a few thoughts. first, kj still isnt getting enough credit on the board for his performance. if he keeps playing like this we will all enjoy watching him play in the nba in a few years. offensively, rebounding, shot blocking he does it all. second, barnett and the entire backcourt dissapeared. this makes me think nickerson may indeed start next season over barnett. why did we not pressure the ball like la salle did to us? we let them regroup and get a good shot off and what about derrios lack of urgency on that last second heave? i think we are gonna see some major lineup changes next season with the eight new guys coming in. braswells lack of touch around the rim is embarrasing. if he makes half of those bunnies he has twenty at the half. to me kj is our best player and has the best long term potential. i see a lineup next season of briscoe, derrio, nickerson, sherrill and braswell.[/quote]I’ve been all about KJ for quite some time. He can be a stud in the A-10 if he stays healthy and keeps improving his game.

If Mayfield isn’t worthy of more minutes than either one of our current backcourt players, I’ll be very disappointed.

Barnett dropped 19 points in this game, what the crap are you talking about disappearing?! They took him away in the second half, but jesus, he was the only reason we had a lead in this game.

[quote=“charlotteguy88, post:48, topic:24861”][quote=“sokool, post:43, topic:24861”][quote=“eason49, post:27, topic:24861”]When did we hire Jim Caldwell?

They’re down 3 at the end of the game with no timeouts, so they’ll have to run the play without talking it over with the coach…

So we call a timeout.

WE CALL A TIMEOUT.

So they can talk over what play they want to run to tie the game.

We came out and ran the same zone defense we ran the entire game. No changes. We called a timeout to make no changes.

They made a wide open 3 in the weak spot of a 2-3 zone. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and executed it perfectly to tie it.

We called a timeout that helped them get the play they wanted.

That’s stupid as hell.[/quote]

This…Major’s end game management was and has been HORRIBLE. 3 out of 4 OT losses

Major’s decision making/coaching this year off the court and on, has been just as bad as the players decision making/playing off the court and on.

If we as 49er fans are going to give COACH MAJOR A PASS this year and not hold him accountable for this mess. Then the players deserve a PASS too.[/quote]
Dont blame the timeout on Major. I was front row behind the bench. The refs were confused on who wanted a timeout. Our coaches were saying “They dont have timeout” to the refs etc. Somehow we wound up being charged the timeout. And Major was like “?What?”[/quote]

That’s a weak excuse. La Salle’s players didn’t go over to talk to their coach until it was officially announced as a timeout and Major already was getting ready to talk to his guys. He could’ve said No, I don’t want it.

He screwed up, plain and simple.

Almost as bad as having Derrio try to be Michael Jordan twice and dribble at half court then run to the 3 point line and jack a 3 to end the periods.

No doubt some will continue to give him a pass while saving their anger for the players. Better coaching and we win this game. The players did enough to beat La Salle.

i could see mayfield starting, maybe at times over briscoe but i do think that long term, briscoe is a better starter than green. isnt mayfield a point guard? barnett got shut down because he cant dribble drive and he missed a wide open three when we were down three so yeah he disappeared. hes a good player, and has improved greatly but i think that long term is a 6th. or 7th. man not a starter. i dont see williams starting next year but he will give us good minutes. we need to add another big guy and another shooter because sirin has a long ways to go. i think next year we could see multiple starting lineups. ive never been as excited for a player as i am with kj. i think he could go down as our best big guy ever. yeah, there i said it. what i saw last night was a young jason maxiell. let me also ask a question. why is kj, and maybe colby, the only ones that go for offensive rebounds on missed shots?

Because officials make mistakes. Remember the inadvertant whistle when we were on a fast break earlier this season?[/quote]
What I meant was, if no one is calling TO, how do you get it in your head that they are. I understand mistakes, but if no one signals for a TO, just seems weird.

That's a weak excuse. La Salle's players didn't go over to talk to their coach until it was officially announced as a timeout and Major already was getting ready to talk to his guys. He could've said No, I don't want it.
If this is the case, then this sucks again.

He is not better than Cedric Maxwell or Rodney White.

Because officials make mistakes. Remember the inadvertant whistle when we were on a fast break earlier this season?[/quote]
What I meant was, if no one is calling TO, how do you get it in your head that they are. I understand mistakes, but if no one signals for a TO, just seems weird.

That's a weak excuse. La Salle's players didn't go over to talk to their coach until it was officially announced as a timeout and Major already was getting ready to talk to his guys. He could've said No, I don't want it.
If this is the case, then this sucks again.[/quote] I think what happened is we that they were calling a timeout and us saying "hey they dont have a timeout" the ref thought we said WE wanted a timeout. Refs make mistakes, so do coaches...all in all its an L time for Xavier

[quote=“eason49, post:63, topic:24861”][quote=“charlotteguy88, post:48, topic:24861”][quote=“sokool, post:43, topic:24861”][quote=“eason49, post:27, topic:24861”]When did we hire Jim Caldwell?

They’re down 3 at the end of the game with no timeouts, so they’ll have to run the play without talking it over with the coach…

So we call a timeout.

WE CALL A TIMEOUT.

So they can talk over what play they want to run to tie the game.

We came out and ran the same zone defense we ran the entire game. No changes. We called a timeout to make no changes.

They made a wide open 3 in the weak spot of a 2-3 zone. They knew exactly what they wanted to do and executed it perfectly to tie it.

We called a timeout that helped them get the play they wanted.

That’s stupid as hell.[/quote]

This…Major’s end game management was and has been HORRIBLE. 3 out of 4 OT losses

Major’s decision making/coaching this year off the court and on, has been just as bad as the players decision making/playing off the court and on.

If we as 49er fans are going to give COACH MAJOR A PASS this year and not hold him accountable for this mess. Then the players deserve a PASS too.[/quote]
Dont blame the timeout on Major. I was front row behind the bench. The refs were confused on who wanted a timeout. Our coaches were saying “They dont have timeout” to the refs etc. Somehow we wound up being charged the timeout. And Major was like “?What?”[/quote]

That’s a weak excuse. La Salle’s players didn’t go over to talk to their coach until it was officially announced as a timeout and Major already was getting ready to talk to his guys. He could’ve said No, I don’t want it.

He screwed up, plain and simple.

Almost as bad as having Derrio try to be Michael Jordan twice and dribble at half court then run to the 3 point line and jack a 3 to end the periods.

No doubt some will continue to give him a pass while saving their anger for the players. Better coaching and we win this game. The players did enough to beat La Salle.[/quote]

This train wreck starts and ends with Major. As is such with all head coaches. His job is to put a product on the court that can win games and then WIN GAMES. So far he has not done it.

Making excuses like" these are not his players and wait until he gets his own players" are the tools of incompetence that build bridges to NOWHERE, which is likely where we will be going.

Braz, KJ, Derrio,JB and Deuce are Lutz players so should we get rid of them before next year so we can put that excuse to bed.? Grant them unconditional releases with no penalty and i’m sure they will be fine.

These are his players he chose them, inherited them, and he wanted them,when he signed that contract. He gets paid handsomely to manage and mold them into a winning team.

I hope Major has success for the sake of all involved, him,players and the university. But if we continue to BLAME THE PLAYERS give the LEADER a 1,2,or 3 year pass of lower expectations then you eat what you order.

Pts             Reb       Ast

tu holloway 21 4.8 5.3

kevin anderson 16.7 3.0 3.6

tony taylor 14.0 3.1 4.3

deuce briscoe 13.1 4.5 3.4

Deuce is one of the top 4 or 5 overall producing PG’s in MAJOR categories to date in the A-10. ::slight_smile:

Derrio is one of the leaders also in pts,ast, in conference play

I think our guards will continue to get better if Major ever figures out how to get them in space and utilize their strengths.

for those who deem mayfield a starter who can put up numbers in the A-10 like Deuce and Derrio have, based on a green white scrimmage …C’MON MAN get a clue show me anything he has done on the D1 level that warrants that.

I think Day Day will be a big help in alot of area’s but he is still unproven.

I can’t explain why a timeout was called then, but it’s not like La Salle ran a play, it’s just that no one came out to guard Stefan so he took a 3 from Colby Lewis-land. They were 18% from behind the arc, but that lapse happened at the absolute worst possible time.

Having Phil Jones would have won this game.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:70, topic:24861”]I can’t explain why a timeout was called then, but it’s not like La Salle ran a play, it’s just that no one came out to guard Stefan so he took a 3 from Colby Lewis-land. They were 18% from behind the arc, but that lapse happened at the absolute worst possible time.

Having Phil Jones would have won this game.[/quote]

Stefan spot up in the weak spot of a 2-3 zone, and they provided the movement on offense to get our defense to give that spot up. Do you think that was coincidence? He was shooting a normal shot; he was not that far back.

It was good coaching and execution on La Salle’s part. They can thank Jim Caldwell/Alan Major for the free timeout so they could plan it.

I dont know if Major is going to be a good coach or not. Its basically incomplete as a grade. If I gave this group of players to Coach K, he’d field a pretty low level A10 team.

Next year, we’ll at least have depth and can afford to play the aggressive man to man that Major wants. This year we just dont have the depth or personnel to do it.

There is no need to knock the coaches or the players, all are learning. They are in an impossible situation right now. All I ask is that they play hard and don’t quit, and they’ve done a good job of doing just that.

And no offense, but it really doesn’t matter who starts next year. Our players need to put their egos aside. I think we can all agree that when they are averaging close to 40 mins a game and have to play with a fear of fouling out, they are not going to be as aggressive or effective.

DeMario sounds good from what y’all have said from the Green and White scrimmage and his HS scouting, but some GA fans told me that he isn’t the best ball handler and doesn’t read offensive sets very well.

Let’s just remember though, we hardly know anything about him, and he could - and I hope does - get better during this year practicing.

I don’t know who will start next year, but I am proud of KJ and JB developing this year, and I like the other players we have coming back.

As for Coach Major, he has impressed me in some games and disappointed me in others. He’s learning.

One thing is for sure, I have seen Niner teams quit in the past - especially last year - and that is inexcusable in my book. This team has not quit. Now let’s just cut the stupid mistakes, hopefully that comes with experience.

[quote=“sokool, post:68, topic:24861”]This train wreck starts and ends with Major. As is such with all head coaches. His job is to put a product on the court that can win games and then WIN GAMES. So far he has not done it.

Making excuses like" these are not his players and wait until he gets his own players" are the tools of incompetence that build bridges to NOWHERE, which is likely where we will be going.

Braz, KJ, Derrio,JB and Deuce are Lutz players so should we get rid of them before next year so we can put that excuse to bed.? Grant them unconditional releases with no penalty and i’m sure they will be fine.

These are his players he chose them, inherited them, and he wanted them,when he signed that contract. He gets paid handsomely to manage and mold them into a winning team.

I hope Major has success for the sake of all involved, him,players and the university. But if we continue to BLAME THE PLAYERS give the LEADER a 1,2,or 3 year pass of lower expectations then you eat what you order.[/quote]
You make a logically incorrect step in your argument. To say that one of these players is not his type of player does not mean they all aren’t or can’t become his player. Shamari didn’t make it in a Major system. Major wasn’t tolerating his drama. These other guys haven’t done that.

Some of the Lutz guys were good. Some of them weren’t. Because the bad are bad, you can’t hold Major totally accountable for that. Only so much improvement can be made in one year and at least we have seen improvement this year unlike in the past. If the good are good, if we were winning, Lutz people would be saying we are only winning with Lutz’s players. See how that works? Major doesn’t take total credit for this either way.

When you sign on, you don’t say “this is exactly a team I would want.” It never works that way. Look at the history of plenty of coaches who turn their program to success. They don’t just come in and start winning. It can happen, but it’s not a sure thing.

This is all moot. Like has been pointed out a ton of times, this team is losing because we are a car with 3 wheels. We lost Shamari to attitude issues. Phil couldn’t keep HIS grades high enough (this loss was HUGGGE). All the other crap. Sheesh, if we just have a full roster we wouldn’t be losing several of the games we have.

[quote=“sokool, post:69, topic:24861”] Pts Reb Ast

tu holloway 21 4.8 5.3

kevin anderson 16.7 3.0 3.6

tony taylor 14.0 3.1 4.3

deuce briscoe 13.1 4.5 3.4

Deuce is one of the top 4 or 5 overall producing PG’s in MAJOR categories to date in the A-10. ::)[/quote] He is probably middle of the pack of A10 pg’s when you take his overall game into account. I like that Briscoe’ll probably improve on the assists, turnovers and shooting percentages as he matures, hopefully stays healthy, and has some capable backups to give him more rest in games.

Green will have to improve shot-selection and hit more of his open shots to help us. Right now he’s too inconsistent. I think Green will start next year, but I could definitely see him getting yanked more quickly with more depth on the bench if he makes some of the same decisions to take it all on himself like he has this year.

[quote=“sokool, post:68, topic:24861”]This train wreck starts and ends with Major. As is such with all head coaches. His job is to put a product on the court that can win games and then WIN GAMES. So far he has not done it.

I hope Major has success for the sake of all involved, him,players and the university. But if we continue to BLAME THE PLAYERS give the LEADER a 1,2,or 3 year pass of lower expectations then you eat what you order.[/quote]

that is such an unintelligent comment. He came into our program with Lutz’s recruits you idiot. He had to deal with Spears and Jones being suspended absolutely killing our depth.

Think before you post next time

Didn’t bother to read the other 3 pages worth of posts. I figure everyone is blaming the made 3 at the end of the 1st OT on us losing, but that was just one of the last daggers the bullfighter put into the bull. What did us in was our terrible ole’ defense whenever they got desperate for a basket, and the fact that we didn’t handle their press very well before that. We could not stop the ball any time they wanted to get to the rim, and that led to some easy layups, fouls, and easy putbacks late in the game when we had leads we should have held onto. We don’t have anyone who can handle the ball when being pressured heavy. They either maul Duece and pin him down, and Derrio just can’t keep a controlled dribble under pressure. I’m not overly upset about it, as this season was a wash. We have no depth, and winning a 2OT game with 8 players, only 2 of them post players, is very difficult.

KJ and JB are improving by leaps and bounds, and we need to be running the offense through them even more than we are. Both are playing well offensively right now, and will be key components next season if it continues

Derrio is shooting 27.3% from 3 and Briscoe 33% for the season. The starting backcourt was 7-30 from the field last night. That’s got to improve before next season or the team is not going to be much better even if the others continue improving individually. Mayfield and Luka are unknowns, and we are still be going to be very dependent on Deuce and Derrio no matter how the others play. With the post as depleted as it is right now, we are guard dependent right now and despite the 13ppg from each of our starting guards the poor shooting percentage and turnovers are hurting bad.

[quote=“get_gold78, post:76, topic:24861”][quote=“sokool, post:68, topic:24861”]This train wreck starts and ends with Major. As is such with all head coaches. His job is to put a product on the court that can win games and then WIN GAMES. So far he has not done it.

that is such an unintelligent comment. He came into our program with Lutz’s recruits you idiot. He had to deal with Spears and Jones being suspended absolutely killing our depth.

Think before you post next time[/quote]

No need to call names but since you are… EAD you JERK. Major chose this situation. He should have been prepared to manage and coach LUTZ’S recruits. Its a vital part of the transition :))

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! :stuck_out_tongue:

One or two mistakes from coaching or players can be completely made up by, say, hitting free throws…or, I don’t know…having 3 more scholarship players available including 2 huge senior contributors. Blaming this loss on the coach or the players that gave what they could given the circumstances is just ridiculous. Look around at how long it takes any given coach to turn a program around, and then throw in the variables and adversity that we’ve faced and you absolutely cannot ask more of this coaching staff or team.

Most important thing to realize is that if you knew as much as you think you know about basketball you’d be in it, not watching it