La Sall Post Game

Uh, right. Based on the salaries of our assistants in the past, it would be a salary decrease for some on this board.

So you respond to the guy who insults you, and not the one who doesn’t and instead chooses to just use logic? I think I understand.

I see nothing wrong with Major’s handling of the players to this point. He kicked off a cancer and had a Senior decide half way through the semester to actually try and go to class and pass.

No one is happy we are losing, I think that’s obvious. We don’t have have a full roster and have some pieces that are complimentary that are starting, when they should be reserves.

We need to have patience with a new coach. Changes to our program and philosophy are obvious, I like the direction we’re heading with style of play and with what we’re doing in recruiting.

[quote=“X-49er, post:77, topic:24861”]Didn’t bother to read the other 3 pages worth of posts. I figure everyone is blaming the made 3 at the end of the 1st OT on us losing, but that was just one of the last daggers the bullfighter put into the bull. What did us in was our terrible ole’ defense whenever they got desperate for a basket, and the fact that we didn’t handle their press very well before that. We could not stop the ball any time they wanted to get to the rim, and that led to some easy layups, fouls, and easy putbacks late in the game when we had leads we should have held onto. We don’t have anyone who can handle the ball when being pressured heavy. They either maul Duece and pin him down, and Derrio just can’t keep a controlled dribble under pressure. I’m not overly upset about it, as this season was a wash. We have no depth, and winning a 2OT game with 8 players, only 2 of them post players, is very difficult.

KJ and JB are improving by leaps and bounds, and we need to be running the offense through them even more than we are. Both are playing well offensively right now, and will be key components next season if it continues

Derrio is shooting 27.3% from 3 and Briscoe 33% for the season. The starting backcourt was 7-30 from the field last night. That’s got to improve before next season or the team is not going to be much better even if the others continue improving individually. Mayfield and Luka are unknowns, and we are still be going to be very dependent on Deuce and Derrio no matter how the others play. With the post as depleted as it is right now, we are guard dependent right now and despite the 13ppg from each of our starting guards the poor shooting percentage and turnovers are hurting bad.[/quote]

Totally agree about our Green and Brisco - however I think that really started after Jones got dropped.
My disappointment in player development is Sirin - thought he would’ve developed by now into a 3 pt expert that would add 9 -12 pts/ game.

9-12 ppg for a guy off the bench would be insane. He would be a starter if he averaged that much.

[quote=“NinerFan, post:84, topic:24861”][quote=“X-49er, post:77, topic:24861”]Didn’t bother to read the other 3 pages worth of posts. I figure everyone is blaming the made 3 at the end of the 1st OT on us losing, but that was just one of the last daggers the bullfighter put into the bull. What did us in was our terrible ole’ defense whenever they got desperate for a basket, and the fact that we didn’t handle their press very well before that. We could not stop the ball any time they wanted to get to the rim, and that led to some easy layups, fouls, and easy putbacks late in the game when we had leads we should have held onto. We don’t have anyone who can handle the ball when being pressured heavy. They either maul Duece and pin him down, and Derrio just can’t keep a controlled dribble under pressure. I’m not overly upset about it, as this season was a wash. We have no depth, and winning a 2OT game with 8 players, only 2 of them post players, is very difficult.

KJ and JB are improving by leaps and bounds, and we need to be running the offense through them even more than we are. Both are playing well offensively right now, and will be key components next season if it continues

Derrio is shooting 27.3% from 3 and Briscoe 33% for the season. The starting backcourt was 7-30 from the field last night. That’s got to improve before next season or the team is not going to be much better even if the others continue improving individually. Mayfield and Luka are unknowns, and we are still be going to be very dependent on Deuce and Derrio no matter how the others play. With the post as depleted as it is right now, we are guard dependent right now and despite the 13ppg from each of our starting guards the poor shooting percentage and turnovers are hurting bad.[/quote]

Totally agree about our Green and Brisco - however I think that really started after Jones got dropped.
My disappointment in player development is Sirin - thought he would’ve developed by now into a 3 pt expert that would add 9 -12 pts/ game.[/quote]Sirin doesn’t get enough minutes to score that much. He’d have to shoot every time he touched the ball to average those kinds of totals with the minutes he gets.

Pts             Reb       Ast

tu holloway 21 4.8 5.3
kevin anderson 16.7 3.0 3.6
tony taylor 14.0 3.1 4.3
deuce briscoe 13.1 4.5 3.4

Deuce is one of the top 4 or 5 overall producing PG’s in MAJOR categories to date in the A-10. ::slight_smile:

Derrio is one of the leaders also in pts,ast, in conference play
…[/quote]
FG% FT% 3PT% A/T Ratio

tu holloway .450 .863 .364 1.49
kevin anderson .461 .701 .448 1.61
tony taylor .412 .659 .349 1.85
deuce briscoe .369 .798 .330 1.11

Listen, I know you know Deuce. I understand you will support him. I don’t dislike you, and am glad you have enthusiasm. But seeing these kind of comparisons drive me crazy. He’s not remotely in the same class with these players. If you’re going to play the stat game, post the whole story. None of us think Deuce is terrible. We support all of our teams players. But nobody on our team can compare with top players in the league right now. I couldn’t put Deuce or Derrio in the top 10 A10 guards this season. The only reason Derrio and Deuce are putting up 13 a game is because they chuck the ball up. There’s backups in the A10 that would score 13 if they were the only options on their teams and their coach didn’t mind them shooting 35%. Allen Iverson probably scored 30 a game in the NBA over his career and never won a championship. That’s volume shooting for you.

I’m sure if he had more talent surrounding him he’d have a better shot. I am optimistic for next year, and think Deuce will start and improve. But this year… I can’t brag about any of our players. Tough year.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:72, topic:24861”]I dont know if Major is going to be a good coach or not. Its basically incomplete as a grade. If I gave this group of players to Coach K, he’d field a pretty low level A10 team.

Next year, we’ll at least have depth and can afford to play the aggressive man to man that Major wants. This year we just dont have the depth or personnel to do it.

There is no need to knock the coaches or the players, all are learning. They are in an impossible situation right now. All I ask is that they play hard and don’t quit, and they’ve done a good job of doing just that.

And no offense, but it really doesn’t matter who starts next year. Our players need to put their egos aside. I think we can all agree that when they are averaging close to 40 mins a game and have to play with a fear of fouling out, they are not going to be as aggressive or effective.[/quote]

There is no room for this type of rationalism on this board.

We missed a shit ton of opprotunities to close this game out in the final minutes of regulation/OT. A SHIT ton. You miss free throws in a tight game, you lose. Its that simple.

And I’d venture to say that way more coaches prefer playing out the final seconds up 3 instead of fouling. As shown earlier, there is no real evidence that fouling puts you in a better position to win. If it did, you’d see a ton of people doing it.

At the end of the first OT, up 3 with LaSalle shooting 2 for 19 from 3 at that point, my buddy and I turned to each other and said "they are gonna dagger us right here. Sure enough. Luck of the niners. I guess its payback for that bullshit game winner Anjuan hit last year at their place.

He is not better than Cedric Maxwell or Rodney White.
[/quote
i didnt say he is, but he will be. he is better now than withers was as a sophomore. the only thing he lacks is elite height but he makes up for that with length and athletisism. i think at the least, mayfield will give us defense and athletisism, two things that are lacking from this team. nickerson should give us the length, size and athletisism and shooting ability that we lack from our small forward position. we dont lose much in terms of seniors. how much different would our team be if wilderness or dewhurst had a jump shot? i think that deuce and derrio will benefit from not having to carry as much of the offensive load next season.[/quote]

This train wreck starts and ends with 2 people, and neither are named Alan Major. The entire current roster and coaching staff, for me, gets a pass this year. Major is doing the best he possibly can with the hand he has been dealt. Even though the W-L record is disappointing, it’s not entirely indicative of how he has handled his rookie campaign. He did what Bobby Lutz didn’t have the stones to do last year, and put Spears in his place, and for that I tip my hat off to him. He could have kept him on the team in order to try to make his 1st year numbers as a head coach look better.

He didn’t. Instead he made a decision that made a statement to this team, and has benefited this team and will even more in the long run. Look at how much heart and determination these guys have played with since the dismissal. Even still, look how much heart they have played with after the double whammy of losing Phil due to academic laziness. They all know this season is a wash, but they still play to win as best they can. To have all these OT, 2OT, and 3OT games doesn’t happen without the determination to win and the determination to fight for their leader.

On a deep roster, Derrio’s poor shooting and careless ball handling performances don’t happen, Anjuan’s love for giving the other team the ball like a Carolina Panther doesn’t happen, because both get yanked before the numbers get that disastrous.

Just imagine how hard these kids will play on that court once the capability to win on most nights is there.

[quote=“scott112776, post:90, topic:24861”]This train wreck starts and ends with 2 people, and neither are named Alan Major. The entire current roster and coaching staff, for me, gets a pass this year. Major is doing the best he possibly can with the hand he has been dealt. Even though the W-L record is disappointing, it’s not entirely indicative of how he has handled his rookie campaign. He did what Bobby Lutz didn’t have the stones to do last year, and put Spears in his place, and for that I tip my hat off to him. He could have kept him on the team in order to try to make his 1st year numbers as a head coach look better.

He didn’t. Instead he made a decision that made a statement to this team, and has benefited this team and will even more in the long run. Look at how much heart and determination these guys have played with since the dismissal. Even still, look how much heart they have played with after the double whammy of losing Phil due to academic laziness. They all know this season is a wash, but they still play to win as best they can. To have all these OT, 2OT, and 3OT games doesn’t happen without the determination to win and the determination to fight for their leader.

On a deep roster, Derrio’s poor shooting and careless ball handling performances don’t happen, Anjuan’s love for giving the other team the ball like a Carolina Panther doesn’t happen, because both get yanked before the numbers get that disastrous.

Just imagine how hard these kids will play on that court once the capability to win on most nights is there.[/quote]

i agree but major made some serious coaching blunders last night.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:91, topic:24861”][quote=“scott112776, post:90, topic:24861”]This train wreck starts and ends with 2 people, and neither are named Alan Major. The entire current roster and coaching staff, for me, gets a pass this year. Major is doing the best he possibly can with the hand he has been dealt. Even though the W-L record is disappointing, it’s not entirely indicative of how he has handled his rookie campaign. He did what Bobby Lutz didn’t have the stones to do last year, and put Spears in his place, and for that I tip my hat off to him. He could have kept him on the team in order to try to make his 1st year numbers as a head coach look better.

Just imagine how hard these kids will play on that court once the capability to win on most nights is there.[/quote]

i agree but major made some serious coaching blunders last night.[/quote]

I agree with you as well, last night we should have never even seen overtime.

He is not better than Cedric Maxwell or Rodney White.
[/quote
i didnt say he is, but he will be. he is better now than withers was as a sophomore. the only thing he lacks is elite height but he makes up for that with length and athletisism. i think at the least, mayfield will give us defense and athletisism, two things that are lacking from this team. nickerson should give us the length, size and athletisism and shooting ability that we lack from our small forward position. we dont lose much in terms of seniors. how much different would our team be if wilderness or dewhurst had a jump shot? i think that deuce and derrio will benefit from not having to carry as much of the offensive load next season.[/quote][/quote]

I really like KJ, but noooooo way is he better as a soph. than Withers was as a soph.

KJ has a ways to go to match Withers. I think KJ has a better jumper and will be a better FT shooter. He has a lot of catching up to do to be the rebounder Curt was.

Yes, FT’s killed us.

And the stat #'s on fouling 3 don’t matter over the whole country. What matters is our school alone. & our school alone is 0-3 in the last 10 months when we don’t foul up 3. That’s all that matters. & the 1st one was one of the contributing factos to your predecessor getting fired. If I get the HC job, I’m going out of my way to NOT do what got the other dude fired.

KJ has a long way to go to be as good as a lot of big men we’ve had.

Pts             Reb       Ast

tu holloway 21 4.8 5.3
kevin anderson 16.7 3.0 3.6
tony taylor 14.0 3.1 4.3
deuce briscoe 13.1 4.5 3.4

Deuce is one of the top 4 or 5 overall producing PG’s in MAJOR categories to date in the A-10. ::slight_smile:

Derrio is one of the leaders also in pts,ast, in conference play
…[/quote]
FG% FT% 3PT% A/T Ratio

tu holloway .450 .863 .364 1.49
kevin anderson .461 .701 .448 1.61
tony taylor .412 .659 .349 1.85
deuce briscoe .369 .798 .330 1.11

Listen, I know you know Deuce. I understand you will support him. I don’t dislike you, and am glad you have enthusiasm. But seeing these kind of comparisons drive me crazy. He’s not remotely in the same class with these players. If you’re going to play the stat game, post the whole story. None of us think Deuce is terrible. We support all of our teams players. But nobody on our team can compare with top players in the league right now. I couldn’t put Deuce or Derrio in the top 10 A10 guards this season. The only reason Derrio and Deuce are putting up 13 a game is because they chuck the ball up. There’s backups in the A10 that would score 13 if they were the only options on their teams and their coach didn’t mind them shooting 35%. Allen Iverson probably scored 30 a game in the NBA over his career and never won a championship. That’s volume shooting for you.

I’m sure if he had more talent surrounding him he’d have a better shot. I am optimistic for next year, and think Deuce will start and improve. But this year… I can’t brag about any of our players. Tough year.[/quote]

Contemptor I think your cool too. Your reasoning is most often based on facts unlike so many others on this board who throw opinions out there without the least bit of factual foundation.

In the end we are all passionate niner fans who want the best for our players, team and university. We just have different visions in regards to what success is and how our program should go about achieving it.

Respect for others and their opinions should be paramount.

Thanks for posting the pct #s as and from what I see other than FG% and KA’s 3pt# there is not much separation.

Deuce FG at 11.1 a game.
TT 10.3
KA 13.0
TH 12.0

IMO 11 shots certainly is not a lot and along the lines of any player who avg double figures.

Not bragging because your right there is nothing or no one to brag about when your team is 1-6 in conf…but there is also no reasoning to bash any kid on any team who brings 13/4/3 to the table his first year in conference.

I think the problem with Deuce is the problem with all our players right now, consistency. I think depth is the main reason why our guards can’t be more consistent though, if one of them is having a sub par shooting night there isn’t anyone behind them to make up for it. Deuce in particular is either on or off.

On - Duquen, Forham, ST Bonnie, Orgeon St, GM, and GW.

Every other game his shooting was off for whatever reason. I really hope the added depth at guard next year whoever it is makes Deuce more efficient with the time he gets.

The way we were giving up layups/fouls and missing free throws, here is how it would have gone had we fouled LaSalle:

• two made free throws. LaSalle down 1.

• LaSalle fouls. Charlotte makes 1 of 2 free throws.

• LaSalle makes layup to tie (same result) or LaSalle makes three to win it at the end of OT.

The outcome would have been the same or worse given the ole’ defense we were playing in the last few minutes of regulation and in overtime. Disregard the stats though, their 3-pt % was like 18% before they made that one. Sure he was more open than he should have been, but when a team is shooting that poorly you look like a bigger idiot if you foul and lose the other way.

[quote=“EE9er, post:98, topic:24861”]I think the problem with Deuce is the problem with all our players right now, consistency. I think depth is the main reason why our guards can’t be more consistent though, if one of them is having a sub par shooting night there isn’t anyone behind them to make up for it. Deuce in particular is either on or off.

On - Duquen, Forham, ST Bonnie, Orgeon St, GM, and GW.

Every other game his shooting was off for whatever reason. I really hope the added depth at guard next year whoever it is makes Deuce more efficient with the time he gets.[/quote]

TRUE