Lacrosse?

I have a question for all of you:
If Charlotte were to get a DI lacrosse team, how many of you would support the program and come out to games?

The A-10 doesn’t have men’s lacrosse so we would likely have to be affiliated with the East Coast Athletic Conference(ECAC). In fact, the only basketball/football conference that house lacrosse as well is the ACC. There are other basketbll/lacrosse conferences, but none of them would be suited for us in the long run.

With that being said, Lacrosse is a growing sport and more schools may field teams in the future, bringing conferences such as the Big East or the SEC into the lacrosse world.

Having a lacrosse team would only help our chances of getting into a better conference in the future.

NOTE: The reason I ask, is because I am writing a paper on how a lacrosse team would be brought up from the club level it is at, to a DI level.

[QUOTE=CharlotteLacrosse16;218354]I have a question for all of you:
If Charlotte were to get a DI lacrosse team, how many of you would support the program and come out to games?

The A-10 doesn’t have men’s lacrosse so we would likely have to be affiliated with the East Coast Athletic Conference(ECAC). In fact, the only basketball/football conference that house lacrosse as well is the ACC. There are other basketbll/lacrosse conferences, but none of them would be suited for us in the long run.

With that being said, Lacrosse is a growing sport and more schools may field teams in the future, bringing conferences such as the Big East or the SEC into the lacrosse world.

Having a lacrosse team would only help our chances of getting into a better conference in the future.

NOTE: The reason I ask, is because I am writing a paper on how a lacrosse team would be brought up from the club level it is at, to a DI level.[/QUOTE]

Lacrosse would be great, but it will be a long time off once we add football before we see another new mens sports program.

Lacrosse would be great, but it will be a long time off once we add football before we see another new mens sports program.

I’m gonna guess that you’re saying that because of the money that wold be needed. While money is a valid point, the only issue would be Title IX. All, if not most, Lacrosse teams are sponsored by companies such as Brine, STX, and Warrior amongst others. Initial costs would be limited to Title IX and coaching. Players already have equipment and sticks, so that cost is non-existent. We already have jerseys, shorts, and helmets(as shown by me at our basketball games).

I would encourage anyone to ask questions about it. It would help me out.

[QUOTE=CharlotteLacrosse16;218358]I’m gonna guess that you’re saying that because of the money that wold be needed. While money is a valid point, the only issue would be Title IX. All, if not most, Lacrosse teams are sponsored by companies such as Brine, STX, and Warrior amongst others. Initial costs would be limited to Title IX and coaching. Players already have equipment and sticks, so that cost is non-existent. We already have jerseys, shorts, and helmets(as shown by me at our basketball games).

I would encourage anyone to ask questions about it. It would help me out.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking Title IX problems. Seems to me that a Lacrosse team wouldn’t be too expensive. How many scholarships does a Lacrosse program offer?

I was thinking Title IX problems. Seems to me that a Lacrosse team wouldn't be too expensive. How many scholarships does a Lacrosse program offer?

I’m not quite sure about how many scholarships a program offers. The average DI program has about 40 players. I’m pretty sure the scholarship number is in the 30-35 range, as not all the players are on full rides. For all i know, the number is less than that.

I know the talk a few years ago when I came into school was that if we got a football team, the university would add womens lacrosse and/or field hockey. So I am sure if that were to happen, a mens team could closely follow. I know I would check it out, just would need some help because I dont know to much about the sport. I just watch a few games on TV and think its pretty cool.

I had two roommates that played on the club team my soph. year and I went to a few games. It was pretty damn cool I thought, atleast I enjoyed it.

If Charlotte adds football, there’s very little chance of men’s lacrosse due to title IX and overall funding. Even though it’s easy to say that sponsorships for men’s lacrosse would cover a lot of the costs, it’s just not true. You still have full-time coaches with benefits, you have trainers and travel, you have recruiting costs, and scholarships.

Charlotte is going to have a hard enough time as it is adding women’s programs to counter-balance football. I don’t think men’s lacrosse is even going to be on the table.

I believe title IX is a good thing - but for goodness sake do you think that women care that much? It agitates me that that is a continuing concern anytime we discuss adding some sort of sport to our school.

Like i said - dont get me wrong, I definately think womens sports should be included - but I feel like it should be re-worded in such a way that if you add a mens sport, and there is a calling for a womens sport by the women themselves, then we add - otherwise, I dont see the need? I honestly think that we could probably get by with football and no one would raise a fuss about adding a womens sport of any kind, and if the rules were different there would be no problems.

I know theres nothing we can do about it - I’m just venting.

I see what you’re saying, but look at the flipside. Say you just add 65 scholarships to a football team, all for men.

Now you’re a women’s soccer player from out of state who’s getting a couple grand to play, but mostly you’re paying your own way. Obviously you dont think that’s fair. Or say you’re a track runner who gets no money but your coach would love to give you some - he just don’t got it. You don’t think football’s fair then either.

Title IX doesn’t mean that we neccessarily have to add sports, they can just add funding to the sports we currently have to make up a portion of it.

But if you keep adding and adding opportunities for men’s teams then why wouldn’t you do the same for women? It’s easy to say “ok well if the interest is there we’ll do it”, but there aren’t any women’s lacrosse players just hanging around at UNC Charlotte … because there isn’t a team. I think if you just walked around campus and said hey, let’s find 90 guys to start a football team, you could more likley do that because, generally speaking, males are more predisposed to that type of interest. (That team would blow ass, but you could probably get it done). Clearly when you start this football team, it’s not going to benefit anyone currently on campus … it’s going to be all new students, recruited by the coach. Just like it would with a women’s team. So saying there isn’t interest in women’s lacrosse, field hockey, etc. is a bit disingenuous because Charlotte wouldn’t start football because of any serious football players that just happen to be on campus.

(I think the original post was meant to say hey, we already have a club men’s lax team, we should go varsity. Which is a nice thought, I just don’t see how they can justify putting even more money into another varsity sport when they can’t fund what they’ve got now).

(I think the original post was meant to say hey, we already have a club men's lax team, we should go varsity. Which is a nice thought, I just don't see how they can justify putting even more money into another varsity sport when they can't fund what they've got now).
That's sort of what I was saying. My general gist was that we should move Lax up ASAP, which would help us get in position for a better conference. We already have a former NCAA coach as our current HC, and we have 3 very good assistant coaches. All of whom currently volunteer their time since we aren't allowed to hire anyone due to our club status. We have had people call us interested in obtaining our head coaching job, they just were unaware that we were a club team. Most people on campus are completely unaware of our club status and think we are Varsity, just from how our team is run.

Seriously though, only three people have answered my original question. If Charlotte were to get a DI lacrosse team, how many of you would support the program and come out to games?

[QUOTE=CharlotteLacrosse16;218402]Seriously though, only three people have answered my original question. If Charlotte were to get a DI lacrosse team, how many of you would support the program and come out to games?[/QUOTE]
I would support it, though I know it would not be as dedicated as my support for basketball is or football will be.

I would compare my support for a future LAX team to be equal to that of soccer, volleyball, and women’s basketball - I go when I can (and I would take pride in the team), but there are many games that I cannot get to because of other conflicts. For basketball, I move other things out of the way to make sure I get to the game.

I would support it, though I know it would not be as dedicated as my support for basketball is or football will be.

I would compare my support for a future LAX team to be equal to that of soccer, volleyball, and women’s basketball - I go when I can (and I would take pride in the team), but there are many games that I cannot get to because of other conflicts. For basketball, I move other things out of the way to make sure I get to the game.

That’s all that we as a team ask. We know wouldn’t be THE sport on most campuses. We’re aren’t Duke, UVA, or Syracuse, but we are pretty good and would be better as a varsity team.

I also appreciate the honesty in your answer.

This is slightly off-topic but since you mentioned the 'cuse, I’ve got some trivia for people… Who played football for them and in the NFL, but was also a standout on their LAX team, garnering all-american honors in both sports?

Sorry my whole family is from Syracuse.

Jim Brown is widely considered to be one of the best college lacrosse players of all time.

Toward the original question, I guess my answer would have to be a qualified one. If adding men’s lacrosse hurt the other programs and hurt the push for football, then I wouldn’t support the team or adding the team. If by some miracle there was a mult-million dollar donation that allowed Charlotte to add football and multiple other sports, I’m all for it. I see it as unlikely.

I love lacrosse, I just don’t see how it positions us for a better conference - we’re not going to get into the ACC or Big East any time in the near future. In terms of other lacrosse conferences, I dont see how it’s going to help us. ECAC, America East, what other east coast lax leagues are there?

The focus should be football, football, football right now.

I was thinking Title IX problems. Seems to me that a Lacrosse team wouldn't be too expensive. How many scholarships does a Lacrosse program offer?

D1 Lacrosse is the most expensive D1 sport. Not going to happen. Not anytime anywhere near soon at least.

D1 Lacrosse is the most expensive D1 sport. Not going to happen. Not anytime anywhere near soon at least.

Where’d you get that stat? I find that interesting.

Darin Spease said in the football memo that to compete at the Div IA level in football, the school would have to solicit donations to the 49er Fund to pay for 85 men’s scholarships and about 100 female scholarships (male/female ratio at the school for Title IX). That’s a s***load of money. If it makes you feel any better, football should cause the school to add a women’s lacrosse team.

Do I see the school adding men’s lacrosse in the future? No way. The school would have to add 110 men’s scholarships for football/lacrosse and, in addition to successful women’s basketball, softball, and volleyball programs, 150 women’s scholarships would need to be added for lacrosse/rifling/equestrian/snowboarding/extreme roller coaster/cricket/swim/curling/[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43-Man_Squamish]squamish[/URL]

You will also have to convince people that lacrosse would not impact research and education. You would have to start a website asking people to voice their support of lacrosse. You would have to start an all-out media blitz while the school’s administration mocks your cause or refuses to even bring up ‘the L-Word’. You would have to wait several decades before the SGA will even acknowledge the topic and subsequently vote whether or not their should be a student/alumni vote on whether to conduct an official student vote. And even after all that, you would still need approval from the Board of Trustees.

Good Luck!

[QUOTE=CharlotteLacrosse16;218354]I have a question for all of you:

[/QUOTE]

To honestly answer your question, I doubt I would go to any games. When I was a student I went to all the basketball games, 1 or 2 soccer games and a handful of baseball games. Since I graduated I have only been to basketball games. However, I do donate to the 49er Club so I indirectly support all 49er sports but only physically support basketball.

Like others have said adding another men’s sport will probably not happen for a long time especially if football is started.

I would go just out of curiosity at first. I have never been to a lacrosse game, but it looks pretty exciting. If I liked it, I would keep going.