Latest Spirit Meeting

There was a meeting tonight, the final names were chosen for the poll that goes on the SGA elections next week.

The choices…

1. Charlottle Miners
  2. The Green Nation
  3. Miner Mob
  4. Niner Miners
  5. Niner Nation

Charlotte Miners is there because it was the only name with Charlotte that was suggested. The Green Nation is hanging onto the Gang Green roots. Miner Mob and Niner Miners were catchy and non-offensive. A large original list was narrowed to exclude any names with ties to Lutz or the SAC/Halton(the name suppossed to be bigger than just basketball) and also to get rid of anything funny/offensive.

The vote will be on the page with the SGA voting(vote.uncc.edu) the voting will take place from the 12th to 14th next week. It is a student only vote, it will likely be on the bottom of the voting page, you can vote for all of the categories or just one if you want.

Really nice, Norm has been a secondary figure since the logo change 5 years ago and all of a sudden miner references are in 60% of the choices.

And for what it’s worth, Miner Mob certainly doesn’t come across as sounding tame.

[b]mob n. 1. A large disorderly crowd or throng. 2. The mass of common people; the populace. 3. [i]Informal[/i]. a. An organized gang of criminals; a crime syndicate. b. often Mob Organized crime. Often used with the: a murder suspect with links to the Mob. 4. An indiscriminate or loosely associated group of persons or things: a mob of boats in the harbor. 5. [i]Australian[/i]. A flock or herd of animals.[/b]
We certainly don't need any references as something Austrailian either!

whatever happened to Sac Nuts? HAHAHHAAHHAAHA :lol:

[b]1. Charlottle Miners 2. The Green Nation 3. Miner Mob 4. Niner Miners 5. Niner Nation[/b]

Charlotte Miners?? good lord, 1st we don’t know if its UNCC or Charlotte. with this choice, we’d confuse people even more…“are you guys miners or niners?” DUMB NAME

The Green Nation?? sounds like some weak ass attempt at creating some kind of political party. DUMB NAME

Miner Mob?? Isn’t the implication of mob a contradiction in terms when you consider the history of student support? DUMB NAME

Niner Miners?? Huh :o We’re the Miner Niners, ahh, no, I mean the Niner Niners…damn, I hate confusing names? DUMB CHOICE

Niner Nation?? Hmmmmmmm…whadda ya know…a choice that doesn’t suck.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Apr 6 2005, 08:10 PM [b] There was a meeting tonight, the final names were chosen for the poll that goes on the SGA elections next week.

The choices…

1. Charlottle Miners
  2. The Green Nation
  3. Miner Mob
  4. Niner Miners
  5. Niner Nation

Charlotte Miners is there because it was the only name with Charlotte that was suggested. The Green Nation is hanging onto the Gang Green roots. Miner Mob and Niner Miners were catchy and non-offensive. A large original list was narrowed to exclude any names with ties to Lutz or the SAC/Halton(the name suppossed to be bigger than just basketball) and also to get rid of anything funny/offensive.

The vote will be on the page with the SGA voting(vote.uncc.edu) the voting will take place from the 12th to 14th next week. It is a student only vote, it will likely be on the bottom of the voting page, you can vote for all of the categories or just one if you want. [/b]

I can’t believe how much BS people are goint through to pick a F’ing nickname for a handful of fans. Why don’t we just hold a state-wide referendum while we’re at it?
Is a student name really necessary? Can we do one original thing at this school?

Why don’t we use an acronym like everything else on campus.

This might sound crazy but as nice as it will be for you people who already have a closet full of Niner Nation gear BUT

IT IS UNORIGINAL!!!

Long Beach State’s student fan section might already be NINER NATION. The San Franisco NFL team might have a section of the stadium for the NINER NATION.

I would rather have something original to this school, that will set our fans apart, than to appease those who have already spent 10 or 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 dollars on gear.

YES YES YES I wanted to but some Niner Nation geat. I have some Gang Green gear also. I am a support of the school. I like Miner Mob. WHY?? Cuz it is orginal. Yes other schools can take it too I suppose but I am a fan of Norm. He needs to be the center of our school’s athletic program. Get your mascot out there and the school will be recognizable (Capitol One Mascot Challenge anyone???)

This naming thing is dumb. All of the choices except niner nation suck and niner nation is already the name of the fans. Niner nation is not original. Its a good name but Carolina is referred to as tarheel nation and ECU pirate nation sometimes. The NN name is good for this site and for fan tshirts but not official recognition by the SGA as the official name of all niner fans. I think the whole idea of voting on names is silly. Incoming freshmen will not be impressed and will laugh at silly name as one more reason we don’t compare to UNC-Chapel Hill. We don’t need a name that is sanctioned by SGA. Niner Nation name will be ruined when SGA sanctions it. It will not be as cool as it is now. Don’t ruin niner nation.

jackrabbit, such a typical comment. complain complain complain.

guys, we here at NINER NATION didnt go ask them to make a name and do all of this and that. They told us about it. The reason i have been to all the meetings is to get rid of names like SAC NUTS and stuff. The only reason we are asking for you to vote NINER NATION is so we dont have THE MINER MOB floating over our head. We are still going to wear our NN shirts, and have the NN message board. There will still be a NN charity and we are trying to set up a NN tv show on campus. NN is still there and wont go away, but if someone refered to me as a student of the Miner Mob i’d kill myself. honestly. OD, slit wrist, the works. You guys take things way to serious. Instead of spending hours complaining about it, just f****** vote and get it over with.

i just wish this would still be a candidate…i mean it was an old school but it was catchy and it sounds and it clearly describes how we can be so i like it a lot

Mean Green

Oooo, goody. Now, we could be like North Texas.

Not really trying to be sarcastic…just trying to demonstrate that there are very few original names.

Miner Mob would be a good name for UTEP. But what does Miners have anything to do with us, when the name of our school is Niner?

[i]Originally posted by Jackrabbit49er[/i]@Apr 7 2005, 02:03 AM [b] IT IS UNORIGINAL!!!!!!!

Long Beach State’s student fan section might already be NINER NATION. The San Franisco NFL team might have a section of the stadium for the NINER NATION.

[/b]

UTEP’s student section “might” already be the Miner Mob…University of Missouri-Rolla’s pep band “might” already be called this…

If I had 50 lbs. of flour, I “might” make a very big biscuit.

[b]This naming thing is dumb.[/b]
Extremely.
[b]YES YES YES I wanted to but some Niner Nation geat.[/b]
What the hell does this mean?

Gang Green & Niner Nation are the two most obvious choices but I guess the Gang Green Idea faded…Niner Nation is the best of the 5 choices but why do they have to vote on it? Complete waste of time…

Does anybody remember “Wisselball” :wacko:

In addition to Niner Nation, could we not get some T-shirts printed up that say “WE ARE CHARLOTTE”, think that would be fitting touch to the whole name debate crap.

Are you people serious? A group of students attempt to come together to do something positive for the school and school spirit and you come here to analyze and pick apart every name? I wish I was bored enough to go back and find how many times people here have complained about fan support and then looked to see how pretty much everybody here who complains has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to attempt to help the cause.

If you don’t like the idea, the choices or the process, fine, sorry but there isn’t a system that will make everybody happy. If a name isn’t chosen people will still complain about the shirts in the student section and how everybody should be in a Niner Nation shirt. A name is going to be chosen and people are complaining it isn’t needed. When did I miss where our school spirit skyrocketed through the roof and we don’t need to worry about attendance or people wearing green to games?

Whether or not the name will be helpful towards school spirit remains to be seen, but it is SOMETHING which is a whole lot more than most people here are doing. You all complain about it’s unoriginality, why don’t you try something original and NOT complain for a change. Maybe my computer is too old or something, but the “Add Reply” button doesn’t click itself whenever I read a message here.

Cmack…I applaud you for caring about the school spirit, that’s not the issue…
The issue is why do they have to have a vote when a consensus already feel that “Niner Nation” is best. Hopefully the students that do have a voice will fee the same way as us old timers…

This is a prime example of why we need to be just University of Charlotte or Charlotte University so I can have a house flag without reference to UNC in the name…

UNC Charlotte Home Flag

[i]Originally posted by jp49er[/i]@Apr 7 2005, 07:38 AM [b] Does anybody remember "Wisselball" :wacko: [/b]
Thanks. You just brought back the nervous twitch I get where I hear that word...."W***elball". :)

Maybe that word “W***el” could be added to some kind of banned list?

sorry to bring that up Silvio…

Idea just occurred to me that we could have shirts made with “Niner Nation” on the front with “We Are Charlotte” on the back…think that would be a great seller, ready to buy one now… :smiley: