Light Rail

[QUOTE=ninerID;271014]Watch Huntersville, the new board is anti light rail. ask residents of matthews if they opposed anything. They orignially were going to get a train, now “extended bus service”.

I think Monroe cares a lot more about the 74 bypass, Gaston county is looking at a bypass, and why would york care, SCDOT > NCDOT.[/QUOTE]

Monroe’s proposed bypass will cost hundreds of millions as well and will displace hundreds of families and businesses unless they move where it will run. It will also destroy hundreds or thousands of acres of woodland. It will never happen because there is too much opposition. Many of the proposed locations run right through neighborhoods that have just been built in the last 5 years. That means buyouts of hundreds of 150,000+ homes.

Riding it to the Wake and Terps game. All about saving money.

Is it anywhere near the university? Where are you guys getting on and riding it from and where are you riding it to?

[QUOTE=ninerID;271014]Watch Huntersville, the new board is anti light rail. ask residents of matthews if they opposed anything. They orignially were going to get a train, now “extended bus service”.

I think Monroe cares a lot more about the 74 bypass, Gaston county is looking at a bypass, and why would york care, SCDOT > NCDOT.[/QUOTE]

The bypasses are great for people passing through, but offer no relief to the people driving to and from the city. I was in DC in the 70s when the METRO started, yes I was young, but I can remember seeing all the construction. Getting all the extended areas on board to support the project has gone a long way in helping that system be an excellent way to move about that city.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;271027]Is it anywhere near the university? Where are you guys getting on and riding it from and where are you riding it to?[/QUOTE]

The rail not come close to the school at this time. A future rail line is planned to hit campus though. The line we are all talking about is running parallel to South Blvd. By parking in one of the park and ride lots on South Blvd we can avoid the traffic and parking problems near the arena.

So, only good for people in south charlotte.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;271031]So, only good for people in south charlotte.[/QUOTE]

Yeah for now.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;270997]It’s too late to support it. I already made up my mind. I’m not a flip-flopper like John Kerry.[/QUOTE]
Idiot.

I may drive down to the I-485 station and ride it into Uptown on Thursday… it’ll definitely save some money.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;270984]I can’t believe y’all are using the corporate sell-out machine. Way to work for the man.[/QUOTE]

what are you? a loser…catch up with the times, every respectable city in america has a train system in some way, its about time we start catching up…just wait, pretty soon the rail line is going to run north, all the way to the concord mills mall…and then we can take the train downtown from UNCC…now that would be cool…!!!

Woooooooooooooooooo…

all the way to the concord mills mall

The university line will stop inside 485, not concord mills.

[QUOTE=ninerID;271039]The university line will stop inside 485, not concord mills.[/QUOTE]

At one point Bruton Smith said he would create a monorail or something or would pay for the rail to get to the speedway. Will be interesting to see if he is still interested in doing something like that.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;271047]At one point Bruton Smith said he would create a monorail or something or would pay for the rail to get to the speedway. Will be interesting to see if he is still interested in doing something like that.[/QUOTE]
I don’t put much stock in what Bruton Smith says anymore. haha

A monorail would be cool. Just don’t let Lyle Lanley build it.

[QUOTE=NinerWupAss;271047]At one point Bruton Smith said he would create a monorail or something or would pay for the rail to get to the speedway. Will be interesting to see if he is still interested in doing something like that.[/QUOTE]

he offered 50 million dollars and mentioned using a monorail. There are multiple problems with this:
Monorails cost about 140 million dollars a mile to build
A monorail wouldn’t connect with the light rail so passengers would have to transfer
Monorails dont’ fit into surrounding environment as well
Few people would ride out to the speedway or in town from the speedway except on 2-3 weeks a year.

The 50 million wasn’t nearly enough to build light rail the extra few miles out to the speedway.

i’m so tired of the “world-class city” garbage, every “respectable” city has a choo choo. blah.

I like cars. I’ll always drive my car. I think it’s offensive and retarded that someone would be labeled a “loser” who “needs to catch up with the times” because they don’t like choo choo’s either.

You’re entitled to your opinion, and Ken is entitled to his. you shouldn’t call him names because he disagrees with you.

and you definitely shouldn’t forcibly remove money from his pocket to pay for what you like and he doesn’t, but I guess that’s another debate.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;271051]i’m so tired of the “world-class city” garbage, every “respectable” city has a choo choo. blah.

I like cars. I’ll always drive my car. I think it’s offensive and retarded that someone would be labeled a “loser” who “needs to catch up with the times” because they don’t like choo choo’s either.

You’re entitled to your opinion, and Ken is entitled to his. you shouldn’t call him names because he disagrees with you.

and you definitely shouldn’t forcibly remove money from his pocket to pay for what you like and he doesn’t, but I guess that’s another debate.[/QUOTE]
I’m not calling SCK names because he doesn’t like the light rail. I’m calling him names because the logic he used to back up his stance was retarded.

I rode it today :slight_smile:

I went to get on it at about 4:30 at the 485 stop (last stop/1st stop). It has a huge really nice wide open parking deck (4 or 5 levels?). That were upwards of 1000 people in line when I got there but the line moved quick (was on a train within about 10-15 min). I took it all the way to the last stop (7th st.) to see the Bobcats game (damn you Ray Allen!!!) which it looks like a lot of other people did also. The ride took about 30 minutes. I got back on after the game (around 10) and the train to and from were still packed.

Note: When taking it to the Bobcats Arena, it’s probably best to get off at the stop before the end/7th St, (Charlotte trans./Trade- I believe). Get off at the last stop you have to cross the street a couple of times and the stop before seems to be on the same side of the street as the arena.

i'm so tired of the "world-class city" garbage, every "respectable" city has a choo choo. blah.

and you definitely shouldn’t forcibly remove money from his pocket to pay for what you like and he doesn’t, but I guess that’s another debate.

I can’t take anything you say seriously when you call it a choo choo.

No one is forcibly removing money from his pocket. He doesn’t have to shop in Mecklenburg County. If he was true to his convictions, he would shop elsewhere, like Concord Mills.

I can't take anything you say seriously when you call it a choo choo.

No one is forcibly removing money from his pocket. He doesn’t have to shop in Mecklenburg County. If he was true to his convictions, he would shop elsewhere, like Concord Mills.

in his defense the electrical train has a federally mandated track that goes “choo choo” that makes it sound like a steam engine as a safety feature. Its probably an itune on an ipod that is hooked into the audio system, being 2007 and all.

you are right about the not being forced, as much as I hate mecklenburg county and the idiocy of its goverment, the pro of proximety of where I am able to work out weighs the cons.

Speaking of Concord Mills, I read an article in the Charlotte Observer last night that to do the improvements and benefits package for Bruton, concord could get a half-cent sales tax.

also, funny the observer didn’t show this picture. Two weeks after a man is killed by the thing, and after all the safety stuff we are supposed to obide by, McCrory decides this would be “cool”:

[QUOTE=Noreaster;271096]I can’t take anything you say seriously when you call it a choo choo.

No one is forcibly removing money from his pocket. He doesn’t have to shop in Mecklenburg County. If he was true to his convictions, he would shop elsewhere, like Concord Mills.[/QUOTE]

I call it a choo choo because for the “world class city” crowd it’s the same as little 4 year old Nicky and the toy choo choo. Nicky wants the choo choo because his friend Tommy has one, and they’re cool and hip. The world-class-city crowd wants one because D.C. has one, and they’re cool and hip. Same concept as with Lynx, just bigger scale. If it was all about practicality and saving money on gas, people would ride the bus. But people don’t ride buses, because they’re not cool and hip like a choo choo train.

Isn’t there federal money paying for part of the south corridor line, or is that just going to be used for the rest of the proposed lines? If so, then yes the money is being forcibly removed from Ken’s pocket, even if he doesn’t buy anything in Mecklenburg.