Look what I found.....(A Football Stadium)

[LIST] [*][FONT=Times New Roman]Apply building design standards to become a LEED Certified building.[/FONT] [/LIST] [FONT=Times New Roman]let me tell you, that is a load of crap. LEED means $$$$ compared to conventional construction. Some greeny tree hugger will tell you it will pay for itself in 20 years, but won't be around in 20 years when it turns out to be false. The vast majority of LEED buildings have been funded by public money because it is a concept that is not feasible to private developers. Don't waste money on crap. Build us a football stadium, not a freakin sideshow. Take your "carbon footprint" and shove it.[/FONT]

Bring some numbers to show it is crap, otherwise you’re not going to look too good. I doubt there is much you can do to get a football stadium LEED Certified at the highest level, but applying some of those principles would be very well served, since you can earn most of those points by doing common sense things (site location, run-off, using local landscaping, energy conservation, local to mass transit, etc.). I don’t think they’re asking you to build it out of solar panels.

Also, I don’t think you have anything to worry about with the school. For them it is all PR to say they want a Green solution. There were multiple Green solutions for the new student union, and they had no interest, they just want whichever design will use their one brick, precast stone, and other horrible design criteria.

[LIST] [*][FONT=Times New Roman]Apply building design standards to become a LEED Certified building.[/FONT] [/LIST] [FONT=Times New Roman]let me tell you, that is a load of crap. LEED means $$$$ compared to conventional construction. Some greeny tree hugger will tell you it will pay for itself in 20 years, but won't be around in 20 years when it turns out to be false. The vast majority of LEED buildings have been funded by public money because it is a concept that is not feasible to private developers. Don't waste money on crap. Build us a football stadium, not a freakin sideshow. Take your "carbon footprint" and shove it.[/FONT]

the only green this stadium needs is green grass and plenty of green paint

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;392220][LIST]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman]Apply building design standards to become a LEED Certified building.[/FONT]
[/LIST][FONT=Times New Roman]let me tell you, that is a load of crap. LEED means $$$$ compared to conventional construction. Some greeny tree hugger will tell you it will pay for itself in 20 years, but won’t be around in 20 years when it turns out to be false. The vast majority of LEED buildings have been funded by public money because it is a concept that is not feasible to private developers. Don’t waste money on crap. Build us a football stadium, not a freakin sideshow. Take your “carbon footprint” and shove it.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

a lot of large corporations are starting to build LEED certified buildings. Most of the new buildings under construction in downtown are being built to LEED specifications. It’s not really that hard to get the basic LEED certification. Gold and Platinum level aren’t quite as easy or cheap however.

leed points cost$$$$ but are worth $0

clt says that in the long run, you save money by building green.

and for silver certification, there is little to no difference in construction costs as long as it is LEED planned from the ground up to begin with. It becomes expensive when you try to reengineer a building that was not originally planned to be green.

DEFINE LONG RUN? 20 YEARS? WHAT ELSE WILL BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE IN 10 OR 20 YEARS?

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;392242]DEFINE LONG RUN? 20 YEARS? WHAT ELSE WILL BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE IN 10 OR 20 YEARS?[/QUOTE]

What is the big deal with this? It’s better for the school, it’s better for the environment, it’s better for everybody. It costs a little bit more at startup, but so do hybrid cars. I didn’t see anybody complaining about hybrid cars when we had the fuel crunch, did you?

It lowers the operating costs immediately. The costs for construction goes up- but that burden lies on the funding that is taking place right now, the lower the operating costs, the less we have to increase our athletic fees for students and the less we have to hear from Mary Shulken.

DON’T TELL HOW IT SAVES MONEY, SHOW IT. NOT WITH GRAPHS AND PROJECTIONS, BUT WITH ACTUAL COST DATA.

I DON’T DIVE A HYBRID. I HAVE A 4.7 L V-8…GO FIGURE…IT IS PAID FOR, HAS LOW MAINTENANCE COST, BOUGHT IT USED FOR CHEAP. IN THE LONG RUN=5 YEARS, IT HAS SAVED ME MUCH MORE MONEY THAN WASTING MONEY ON A HYBRID DESPITE THE GAS PRICES.

LEED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;392250]Don’t tell how it saves mone, show it. Not with graphs and projections, but with actual cost data.

I don’t drive a hybrid. I have a 4.7L V-8 . . . go figure . . . it is paid for, has low maintenance cost, bought it used for cheap. In the long run = 5 years, it has saved me much more money than wasting money on a hybrid despite the gas prices.

LEED has nothing to do with football.[/QUOTE]

FIXED

DON'T TELL HOW IT SAVES MONEY, SHOW IT. NOT WITH GRAPHS AND PROJECTIONS, BUT WITH ACTUAL COST DATA.

I DON’T DIVE A HYBRID. I HAVE A 4.7 L V-8…GO FIGURE…IT IS PAID FOR, HAS LOW MAINTENANCE COST, BOUGHT IT USED FOR CHEAP. IN THE LONG RUN=5 YEARS, IT HAS SAVED ME MUCH MORE MONEY THAN WASTING MONEY ON A HYBRID DESPITE THE GAS PRICES.

LEED HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL

What is the big deal with this? It's better for the school, it's better for the environment, it's better for everybody. It costs a little bit more at startup, but so do hybrid cars. I didn't see anybody complaining about hybrid cars when we had the fuel crunch, did you?

:lmao:

I love how you laugh, rather than giving any intelligent input.

Maybe we can get some money from the State for some 'Environmental Engineering research" incorporated into the new stadium. Didn’t NC State try to use state funding to build a golf course and use it as a ‘research project’ for stormwater runoff?

[QUOTE=thelew1014;392259]I love how you laugh, rather than giving any intelligent input.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you can build something that is green, without it needing to be “LEED Certified”. The whole Leed Certified thing is kind of a scam. You end up doing things for “points” rather than the “benefits”.

Put it this way, your average Wal-Mart Supercenter that was built in the last 5 years is probably Leed Certified on a high level, but Wal-Mart has no involvement with LEED as it would cost money to simply get the certification.

“green building” is a good thing in the long run, but has no place for football stadiums. The maximum points that you get for “site work” is 4. To become lead certified I think you have to have something like 50 points (changing this year). I don’t know how an open air 12k seat stadium racks up enough points to become leed certified without wasting money.

Leed is mainly for office parks. You lease space to clients who want to be in something green and are willing to pay the extra money for it, it also helps with resale of the buildings. You are not going to make extra on ticket sales because the stadium is “Green”.

you can build something that is green, without it needing to be "LEED Certified". The whole Leed Certified thing is kind of a scam. You end up doing things for "points" rather than the "benefits".

Put it this way, your average Wal-Mart Supercenter that was built in the last 5 years is probably Leed Certified on a high level, but Wal-Mart has no involvement with LEED as it would cost money to simply get the certification.

“green building” is a good thing in the long run, but has no place for football stadiums. The maximum points that you get for “site work” is 4. To become lead certified I think you have to have something like 50 points (changing this year). I don’t know how an open air 12k seat stadium racks up enough points to become leed certified without wasting money.

Leed is mainly for office parks. You lease space to clients who want to be in something green and are willing to pay the extra money for it, it also helps with resale of the buildings. You are not going to make extra on ticket sales because the stadium is “Green”.

Wow. Where to start…

Your first paragraph is correct. You can be Green w/o being LEED certified. To be LEED Certified you have to pay fees for tests, paperwork, etc. in order to get the stamp of approval. Many buildings get built attaining LEED points but say no thanks to the certification, since it doesn’t diminish the performance of the building, obviously.

Walmart… LEED certified at a high level? Any level? Is it possible to do it? Sure. Let’s start with some basics. Wal-Mart clear cuts an entire swath of land, that’s a negative. Walmart, paves almost the entire footprint with concrete and asphalt, minus where the building sits. Wal-Mart has 50’ ceiling heights, which costs money to heat and cool. Don’t get me wrong there are some decent things they do. They put skylights in for natural light, but I question if they reduce what they have in artificial lighting. I do know mechancially in some stores they have done some work with their HVAC systems, largely with specific fans. Again, I doubt they are rated highly, and question if they could get HM.

It could have a place with a football stadium. There’s more than just site work (which I’m sure you know), but promoting even alternative transit gets you points, b/c of accessibility (adding bike racks gets you points). I think a smaller stadium would have an easier time obtaining LEED certification over the Cowboy’s new stadium. Materials and construction techniques can go along way as well and you’ll need a good amount of that to get it done.

LEED is not just mainly for office parks, office parks largely as a building type are the anti-green. Putting a building in the middle of a piece of land surrounded by parking and cars, isolated from other amenities isn’t good… good for the environment, buuildings, people, and just in general a healthy way of life. I’ve worked with LEED for museums, schools, librarys, and even churches have had interest. I’ll agree, being green will not sell tickets, but as a school it has the opportunity to self market itself and make the school appear self conscienscious of their place in the world. People like to see that.

All this is moot anyways. I can guaran-damn-tee the school asks for all this, they’ll get designs for this, but with the option to take out the Green stuff b/c it will VE the price down, and they’ll take it. If you’re lucky they’ll get the LEED point for the bike rack and the proximity to the future light rail stop.

Your first paragraph is correct. You can be Green w/o being LEED certified. To be LEED Certified you have to pay fees for tests, paperwork, etc. in order to get the stamp of approval. Many buildings get built attaining LEED points but say no thanks to the certification, since it doesn't diminish the performance of the building, obviously.
for instance, walmart
Wal-Mart clear cuts an entire swath of land, that's a negative.
has little if anything to do with LEED
Walmart, paves almost the entire footprint with concrete and asphalt, minus where the building sits.
First off this is wrong, and second, also has little if anything to do with LEED.
Wal-Mart has 50' ceiling heights, which costs money to heat and cool. Don't get me wrong there are some decent things they do. They put skylights in for natural light, but I question if they reduce what they have in artificial lighting. I do know mechancially in some stores they have done some work with their HVAC systems, largely with specific fans. Again, I doubt they are rated highly, and question if they could get HM.
whether skylights help or not, they count for points, which is my argument. automatic sensors in the bathrooms, low flow toilets, reuse of water for the cooling machines as irrigation, bamboo in flooring areas, bike racks, etc.
LEED is not just mainly for office parks, office parks largely as a building type are the anti-green. Putting a building in the middle of a piece of land surrounded by parking and cars, isolated from other amenities isn't good... good for the environment, buuildings, people, and just in general a healthy way of life. I've worked with LEED for [B]museums, schools, librarys[/B], and even churches have had interest. I'll agree, being green will not sell tickets, but as a school it has the opportunity to self market itself and make the school appear self conscienscious of their place in the world. People like to see that.
okay I'll clarify, outside of taxpayer financed operations where the government dictates how your money is spent, leed is best for office buildings.
Wow. Where to start...

Your first paragraph is correct. You can be Green w/o being LEED certified. To be LEED Certified you have to pay fees for tests, paperwork, etc. in order to get the stamp of approval. Many buildings get built attaining LEED points but say no thanks to the certification, since it doesn’t diminish the performance of the building, obviously.

Walmart… LEED certified at a high level? Any level? Is it possible to do it? Sure. Let’s start with some basics. Wal-Mart clear cuts an entire swath of land, that’s a negative. Walmart, paves almost the entire footprint with concrete and asphalt, minus where the building sits. Wal-Mart has 50’ ceiling heights, which costs money to heat and cool. Don’t get me wrong there are some decent things they do. They put skylights in for natural light, but I question if they reduce what they have in artificial lighting. I do know mechancially in some stores they have done some work with their HVAC systems, largely with specific fans. Again, I doubt they are rated highly, and question if they could get HM.

It could have a place with a football stadium. There’s more than just site work (which I’m sure you know), but promoting even alternative transit gets you points, b/c of accessibility (adding bike racks gets you points). I think a smaller stadium would have an easier time obtaining LEED certification over the Cowboy’s new stadium. Materials and construction techniques can go along way as well and you’ll need a good amount of that to get it done.

LEED is not just mainly for office parks, office parks largely as a building type are the anti-green. Putting a building in the middle of a piece of land surrounded by parking and cars, isolated from other amenities isn’t good… good for the environment, buuildings, people, and just in general a healthy way of life. I’ve worked with LEED for museums, schools, librarys, and even churches have had interest. I’ll agree, being green will not sell tickets, but as a school it has the opportunity to self market itself and make the school appear self conscienscious of their place in the world. People like to see that.

All this is moot anyways. I can guaran-damn-tee the school asks for all this, they’ll get designs for this, but with the option to take out the Green stuff b/c it will VE the price down, and they’ll take it. If you’re lucky they’ll get the LEED point for the bike rack and the proximity to the future light rail stop.

For those of us who understand what LEED really is we appreciate any attempt to acknowledge interest in certification…but thats why we’re architects. I don’t expect people like Metro to give a damn about it or any of the other nay-sayers. Regardless it would be great for the school and open up future opportunities for projects on campus to be LEED certified.

Everybody should want the university to really consider the effects the stadium will have on the surrounding environment. Not too mention most of the points do come from practices that are proven to be better use, care, and lifecycle of land and materials. The fact alone that it would bring interest to our stadium from an environmental standpoint should be enough cause for us to investigate it. From looking at the fan base we have, I think will need those “tree huggers” to become interested and perhaps even support the cause.

I’d be suprised if the people against LEED could name more than 1 reason it is bad…besides Money. It is the only reason…and for people who look further into can see that it really isnt that much for the advantages it produces.

I believe if we go after the certification we can get public money or at least some private donors that wouldnt be interested otherwise. I too (knowing how the university acts, and working on a few campus projects) don’t see it actually happening, but any step towards protecting/preserving the environment on our campus is a good thing.