Lost in the Wilderness

It took Phil four. He was not allowed to practice with the team or coaches. If anything Phil’s extra year hurt his development because he was out of organized ball for a year.

I’m not sure what he did during his year off, so I can’t comment on that. Either way, Braswell averaged 9.5ppg and 8.5rpg as a freshman. That is pretty damn impressive.

9.3 and 6.5 this year isn’t bad, but he has regressed. I’m curious if he likes Major and/or Major’s philosophy.

Braswell hasn’t lived up to any expectations of developing as a player; he’s worse now than he was last year. I don’t think we can just sit around and wait for him to adjust to the system imo, when everyone else has. He should be benched, and replaced with Phil, until he can prove himself. And, NinerWupAss, what makes you say Phil does his best off the bench? He had an astounding game when he did start (Tennessee).

It is indeed impressive. He did have a scoring threat that commanded double teams alongside him however. Now that he is getting the attention of the defense we’re seeing his deficiencies on the offensive end.

most of his points even last year came from putbacks and foul shots. He’s never shown much ability to put the ball in the basket.

I’m not saying he’s not good and that he never will be, just saying I don’t buy into the he’s a star train of thought. he’s a nice hig man to have, but at the moment he has no hope for the nba. He’s not even worthy ot third team a10.

Braswell is doing about the same offensively as he did last year he just needs to be more consistent on that side of the floor and finish better around the basket. His defensive rebounds are down but Phil’s and JB’s are up so that doesn’t really bother me that much. I just hope that Bras sticks with Major and buys into what he can do for him as I think he can be a very good player by the time he is done here. I’m glad to see that he has started to knock down a few mid range jumpers to where he can keep the other bigs honest and hopefully allow him to use his free throw line drive more effectively.

I, for one, am against benching our 3rd leading scorer… just like I was against benching our 2nd leading scorer.

Braz is half way through his 2nd season, let’s give him some time to smooth things out. Go Chris!

We need Braz. We need Wilderness too. Braz’s defensive rebounds have slightly decreased because others are blocking out better (tough to do in a zone some times) and getting more rebounds.

This thread needs to go away.

Do not knock Braz! Last year his numbers were inflated as other teams were focused on Shamari, leaving Braz able to isolate and get layups. This year, he is our number one offensive post option and he is getting the double teams. Unlike Shamari, he doesn’t have a fade away and hasn;t had to develop his mid range jumper. His moves will develop. If our guards keep hitting their open jumpers, he will get better looks and when all the players learn to pick and roll effectively he will get some easy layups.

I totally agree with you but I just hope he sticks around for this developement.

I’m going to trust the coaches on what they believe will get the most production out of both Braz and Jones. We need both of them to produce to have any success. I believe Braz still has the better endurance of the 2, so it makes sense for him to be the starter in my opinion.

Wilderness nor Dewhurst are very good. Both seem to play hard and listen to the coaches which is worth something, but hell, lot’s of people can do that. They are just limited, limited guys. Wilderness and Dew both are team guys, but they just aren’t very good.

Playing these guys major minutes tells you a lot about the squad. If you’re having to get 30 or so minutes b/t these two, you’re going to struggle.

We need better talent to be successful, pure and simple. Think an Eddie Basden-type as a replacement and you’re on the right track.

[quote=“hootie, post:51, topic:24630”]Wilderness nor Dewhurst are very good. Both seem to play hard and listen to the coaches which is worth something, but hell, lot’s of people can do that. They are just limited, limited guys. Wilderness and Dew both are team guys, but they just aren’t very good.

Playing these guys major minutes tells you a lot about the squad. If you’re having to get 30 or so minutes b/t these two, you’re going to struggle.

We need better talent to be successful, pure and simple. Think an Eddie Basden-type as a replacement and you’re on the right track.[/quote]

Yes I agree good post

This…Braz was better last year, so we know he can be better than he looks right now.

[quote=“hootie, post:51, topic:24630”]Wilderness nor Dewhurst are very good. Both seem to play hard and listen to the coaches which is worth something, but hell, lot’s of people can do that. They are just limited, limited guys. Wilderness and Dew both are team guys, but they just aren’t very good.

We need better talent to be successful, pure and simple. Think an Eddie Basden-type as a replacement and you’re on the right track.[/quote]
I’m sure somebody has mentioned it already in this thread, but both of these guys have had injury issues. Dewhurst was move aggressive with the ball his freshman year than he has been ever since(not that he scored well in those first few games, but he at least attacked the basket).

Wilderness is confusing because he was he had such promising numbers his first year and he hasn’t been able to match them sense.

But you are right, at this point neither are very good players and it goes a long way towards explaining our record when you see how many minutes a guy like Wilderness gets on our team.

What is Dew’s status? Has David Scott mentioned anything recently?

Someone said Dew was about a week and a half away. Cant remember where I heard that though.

Re Anjuan…he had a decent game yesterday. Buzzer beater at the half…and he had a dunk! That was the kind of stuff we need from him.

Wilderness had a pretty nasty dunk last night.

Crazy how Anjuan dunks right handed on breakaways when he could go up either way. He got a nice one in the Charleston tourney as well.

Dew is 1.5 weeks away per SID game notes for Mercer. Good info in there.

I can’t wait for Dewhurst to play again so we can complain that he shouldn’t be playing.

Hey! What happened? Where is everybody?