Lost (May Contain Spoilers!!)

Didn’t see it mentioned here. USA Today had write-up a few weeks ago. They find the tail end of the plane, including some other passengers including another hot chick (forget her name). She stirs things up. The tail end people don’t mesh well with the orginals. Show becomes more gruesome. A lot of answers in episode 3. Also, one of the main writers/producers has left the show to film Mission Impossible 3. He sat down with the others (not “the others”) to share his vision for the show.

Lefty, You speak of J.J. Abrams who in addition to Lost and MI3 has his duties on Alias. He is much more than a writer on the show he is the creator… also the creator of Alias. I would suspect that while his day to day duties are lessened it will still be his ultimate vision.

Did anyone watch Invasion? I thought that show was suppose to be good, but I found myself falling asleep last week. I was not impressed.

It was dreadfully slow.

I won’t watch again.

I gave Invasion a shot based on the early reviews and I gave up after about 15 minutes. Just couldn’t get into it. I did the same with “Surface” as well. Surface is just too silly in my opinion.

I am hooked on “My Name Is Earl” though. That show is friggin’ hilarious. If you haven’t seen it, it comes on tonight on NBC at 9pm I believe. I don’t find many sitcoms to be all that funny since the days of Seinfeld but Earl cracks me up.

[i]Originally posted by CPA_Niner[/i]@Sep 27 2005, 09:33 AM [b] Did anyone watch Invasion? I thought that show was suppose to be good, but I found myself falling asleep last week. I was not impressed. [/b]
Wish I could help but I fell asleep as well.
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Sep 27 2005, 10:17 AM [b] I am hooked on "My Name Is Earl" though. That show is friggin' hilarious. If you haven't seen it, it comes on tonight on NBC at 9pm I believe. I don't find many sitcoms to be all that funny since the days of Seinfeld but Earl cracks me up. [/b]
Dang. Same time as House.
[b]It was dreadfully slow.

I won’t watch again.[/b]

Slow is Lost defined. They found the hatch in mid season. They built the raft when we were known as UNC Charlotte. We still don’t know what killed the pilot, where the polar bear came from, what the Others are, what the French chick is up to, why the fortune teller told Claire to get on the plane, why Walt is special and tons of other things. With Veronica Mars coming back manyana, Lost has been sent to DVR-land.

Invasion wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great.
Threshold was pretty good and Supernatural was decent in a campy bad horror movie kind of way.

Tintin

[i]Originally posted by Tintin[/i]@Sep 27 2005, 12:50 PM [b] Slow is Lost defined. They found the hatch in mid season. They built the raft when we were known as UNC Charlotte. We still don't know what killed the pilot, where the polar bear came from, what the Others are, what the French chick is up to, why the fortune teller told Claire to get on the plane, why Walt is special and tons of other things. [/b]
Sheesh my man...there has only been ONE season and one episode of the 2nd season. If all of those questions/story lines were answered, then what would be the point of continuing on with the show? I think the ambiguity of those things is one reason why the show is so appealing. It's frustrating but yet you can't pull away. I'm glad they have left so many things to our imagination. If we knew all of those things, then the show would have to just become a soap opera, focusing solely on the relationships between the castaways. Lost has the best of both worlds.
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Sep 27 2005, 01:17 PM [b] Sheesh my man...there has only been ONE season and one episode of the 2nd season. If all of those questions/story lines were answered, then what would be the point of continuing on with the show? I think the ambiguity of those things is one reason why the show is so appealing. It's frustrating but yet you can't pull away. I'm glad they have left so many things to our imagination. If we knew all of those things, then the show would have to just become a soap opera, focusing solely on the relationships between the castaways. Lost has the best of both worlds. [/b]
completely agree jcl.

Lost is awesome. I haven’t been this hooked on a TV show, well, ever. Here’s a good site for all you addicts: http://lost-forum.com/

Also, www.oceanicflight815.com is good for some network-released stuff.

The scene with Walt’s dog, then Walt showing up dripping with water or maybe oil, was creepy as hell. Can’t wait until Wednesday!

The polar bear came from the comic book that Hurley was reading on the plane which is the one that Walt found after they landed on the island.

I think it’s interesting that the dog somewhat led Shannon to Walt in the woods.

[b]Sheesh my man...there has only been ONE season and one episode of the 2nd season. If all of those questions/story lines were answered, then what would be the point of continuing on with the show? I think the ambiguity of those things is one reason why the show is so appealing. It's frustrating but yet you can't pull away. I'm glad they have left so many things to our imagination. If we knew all of those things, then the show would have to just become a soap opera, focusing solely on the relationships between the castaways. Lost has the best of both worlds. [/b]

From Television without Pity
“Or to put it another way: the strength of the lost-on-an-island conceit is that we, the audience, know only as much as the characters themselves know. They’re all strangers to each other, just as they are to us, and none of them have any better idea than we do where they are. That’s a unique and creative tack to take in a network television program. It means we’re going to be constantly surprised by these characters and the things that happen to them…unless you give us, the viewers, access to huge chunks of otherwise secret information from the pasts of particular characters. As you seem to be doing. Now we feel manipulated, or at least I do, because now the Powers That Be are clearly showing their hands in the specific bits of information they choose to dole out. You’ll show me Kate’s sojourn in Australia, but you won’t tell me what crime she committed? That’s not storytelling; that’s caprice.”

The above was written last October after the third episode.

The problem I have with the show is that I don’t care about their pasts to the tune of 30 minutes of flashback a week. I want to know where the polar bear came from. Polar bears don’t live in South Pacific. How is it there? Did Walt indeed summon it? How? Explain, please. What dragged the pilot out of the plane in the pilot (sorry)? Why is Locke not in a wheel chair? What did he see when the monster was bearing down on him 20 episodes ago? Where did Claire go for several days? To me the writers are just writing episodes throwing in clues to the future, showing flashbacks and hoping we’ll forget the bigger mysteries of the series.
I’ve got no problem with a big cliffhanger. We knew who shot Mr. Burns and JR in first episode of the season. We found out who Cartman’s dad was. We figured out the season long Wisteria Lane thing on DH (I’ve heard). The problem is when you leave multiple questions unanswered and forge ahead as Lost is doing, you lose credibility (in my eyes) as a storyteller.

Having written all this, I’m not planning on missing any episodes, I’m just going to be taping it.

Tintin

Well Tintin I’ll take a guess, you were never a fan of the X-Files were you?

I like how they do the flashbacks and relate it to the current story line. To me trying to figure things out and make me think is much better than having the shows producers point everything out to me and try and explain everything in the first season.

It didn’t win best drama at the Emmy’s for nothing, (their very first season no less).

[b]To me the writers are just writing episodes throwing in clues to the future, showing flashbacks and hoping we'll forget the bigger mysteries of the series.[/b]

I disagree. I believe that all of the questions you just asked in your last post will in fact be answered at some point. When this series has completed it’s run, I don’t feel anything will be left open-ended. I’d like to know the answers to those things as well but I don’t want to know before I’ve had a chance to be intrigued by the mystery of it all. As I said, for me personally, the ambiguity is a big reason why I enjoy the show so much. Most shows today are way too predictable, way too redundant and way too bland. Lost is none of the three and it’s why so many people are tuning in each week.

Man, I miss the X-Files. I’m not even a big sci-fi person at all but I loved that series. I guess that the genre is irrelevant if you have great directors, writers and actors which the X-Files had and Lost has.

In tonights episode did anyone else notice there was an enbelm stamped/ branded on the sharks tail. It is the same enbelm as the one Locke touched and looked at when he entered the tunnel. Desmond also had this enbelm on his shirt.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Sep 29 2005, 12:54 AM [b] In tonights episode did anyone else notice there was an enbelm stamped/ branded on the sharks tail. It is the same enbelm as the one Locke touched and looked at when he entered the tunnel. Desmond also had this enbelm on his shirt. [/b]
What's an enbelm? :wacko: :D Apparently, they're all working together.
[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Sep 29 2005, 12:54 AM [b] In tonights episode did anyone else notice there was an enbelm stamped/ branded on the sharks tail. It is the same enbelm as the one Locke touched and looked at when he entered the tunnel. Desmond also had this enbelm on his shirt. [/b]
Can't believe you posted that...lol. When I came in to work this morning, I asked our receptionist if she recorded it because I wanted her to check that scene because I was CERTAIN I saw that emblem as well. Glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.

I thought last night’s episode was fantastic. I loved how some of the show was repetitive from last week but was so in order to show what happened in-between. And the ending shot was almost like a scene from “Night Of The Living Dead.”

Amazing as usual. I tried to give Invasion another chance but I just couldn’t get into it. I lasted about 30 minutes before going to bed.

Anyone want to take a stab at what the deal was with the execution Locke did on that computer that made those numbers flip to 108???

Yes!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Any thoughts on how Jin got back to the island? I’m wondering if the others on the boat somehow picked him up. Surely he would have heard Sawyer or would have seen them unless he passed out on another raft.

I thought the exchange between Sawyer and Michael was funny. “What are you going to do, splash me?”

Interesting that Michael gave his son a stuffed polar bear.