"loudest in the nation"....?

I think this team is really fun to watch, but the 03-04 and 04-05 teams were way more fun.

The only reason that 04-05 team would not be fun to watch, in hindsight, is because they absolutely sucked in march. But before that, they were amazing.

Well, at this point I would say that the 04-05 team was probably a better team overall, but man did they let us down a bunch with losses against Bama and Rutgers and then late in the year against Louisville, USF, Memphis, and NC State, not to mention a loss to ECU in late January 05. But I think that this style of play is more entertaining than that teams’ style and I think that the March 2008 Charlotte 49ers will probably be a better team than the March 2005 Charlotte 49ers. Although they need a little bit more time to gel.
:49ers:

having the App fans there also made it a little nice, cause when our crowd died down, they started chanting, then our students were not nooooo wayyyy are they are gonna be louder then us!

first time in a long time that i can remember us yelling EVERY SINGLE TIME either team went down the court with the ball

I forgot Uh-Huh was there. Some of us 104ers tried to get his attention, but it was darn near impossible.

Who’s idea was the “Coming Round the Mountain?” That was hilarious.

We also need to continue to play regional opponents !! As many as possible, does not have to be ACC teams. This adds to our program, from a business perspective it gets people interested, Charlotte is the largest city in the area, many of the alums from those schools live in Charlotte after college, so schedule their teams and get them out to the games. It adds to the competitive energy.

This is a big part of the SEC business equation in Atlanta and as a result, SEC sports have a larger interest in Atlanta then all the pro sports combined.

i actually mentioned it to gill last night after the game…these players are players we havent seen in a long time. they care if they win or lose. wins and loses are actually a point of interest. instead of playing for the name on the back of the jersey…they are playing for everyone that has a connection to the word, city, university…of CHARLOTTE.

now with sucess and publicity…big heads will come. that cant happen and the key to continual sucess and progression is that the players do NOT stop going balls to the wall at all times.

JUST WIN

If the frats and sors would turn out like they used to, and the alums came… itd be rocking

the manner in which the players are conducting themselves has been top notch. couple differences from years past:

• players hustling and working hard in warm ups
  • players greeting the refs before the game (very respectful)
  • manner in which they act after a good or poorly called play
  • players coming over to section 104 to greet their fellow students. this should become a tradition that is always followed after every win. it shwos the student that they dont think they are above us in any way and they are appreciative of our support. vice versa…its a way we can say thank you for working your a ss off for the University of Charlotte.
If the frats and sors would turn out like they used to, and the alums came... itd be rocking

They are there, its just that Greek Ticketing has changed a lot since 05 and you don’t see them in the spots they used to be in all wearing letters. Ofcourse it can always be better!

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;268578]Well, at this point I would say that the 04-05 team was probably a better team overall, but man did they let us down a bunch with losses against Bama and Rutgers and then late in the year against Louisville, USF, Memphis, and NC State, not to mention a loss to ECU in late January 05. But I think that this style of play is more entertaining than that teams’ style and I think that the March 2008 Charlotte 49ers will probably be a better team than the March 2005 Charlotte 49ers. Although they need a little bit more time to gel.
:49ers:[/QUOTE]

No way, no how.

The loss to Alabama was not a letdown. Rutgers, well, it happens. But as fun as this team is to watch, Eddie, Curt, and yes Brendan all were capable and quite frequently put on shows that were over the top amazing. There is not a player on this team that is capable of the plays those guys made yet. Leemire is an okay go-to guy, but he is not at the level some of our past shooting guards have been.

There is not the offensive fire, nor the really dominate low post presence that team had. But they were all upperclassmen and there were two potential NBA players on that team. Who knows what these guys will be like NEXT season or even the year after that. Then they might be able to compare with some of the better Bobby Lutz and even Charlotte 49er teams in general.

That said, they are fun and they are beating teams that would have beaten us last year. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we are good yet, but we have been good enough and we might become a good team by the end of the year.

[QUOTE=BiscuitPants04;268595]

• manner in which they act after a good or poorly called play
    [/QUOTE]

I’ll tell you what, Dijuan Harris may not be the best guard in the country, and he might not be the most talented guy to play that role here in recent years, but he has a great attitude and he is very infectious. I really think we are better with him on the team. He never gets his feelings hurt when there is a bad call or a call against him and he doesn’t fight the refs or pout. He doesn’t get upset when he is pulled out of the game and he is very upbeat.

It is the first time in a long time we have had a player like that.

No way, no how.

The loss to Alabama was not a letdown. Rutgers, well, it happens. But as fun as this team is to watch, Eddie, Curt, and yes Brendan all were capable and quite frequently put on shows that were over the top amazing. There is not a player on this team that is capable of the plays those guys made yet. Leemire is an okay go-to guy, but he is not at the level some of our past shooting guards have been.

There is not the offensive fire, nor the really dominate low post presence that team had. But they were all upperclassmen and there were two potential NBA players on that team. Who knows what these guys will be like NEXT season or even the year after that. Then they might be able to compare with some of the better Bobby Lutz and even Charlotte 49er teams in general.

That said, they are fun and they are beating teams that would have beaten us last year. I wouldn’t go so far as to say we are good yet, but we have been good enough and we might become a good team by the end of the year.

OK, I think I agree with everything you said, especially the part about the future of the team. I think that this team is going to be a 20 win team this season, this team feels special, as does the atmosphere and the fans!

[QUOTE=HP49er;268540] What are you going to do if the tickets are sitting/wasting in someone’s desk drawer? They give big bucks and are entitled to the seats. Unfortunately, it looks awful on TV.

Ideas?[/QUOTE]

If anyone reading this has tix in that section or any lower arena section, PM me and I will take one and that seat will ALWAYS be filled with my sorry a$$. That’s what. I AM serious.

[QUOTE=BiscuitPants04;268526]…Halton Arena would be one of the loudest in the nation."
…but where do we stack up with the rest of the best? who is the best if we aren’t? other than continual progress and wins…what will bring us to that next level?
[/QUOTE]
Vitale once called us the loudest loudest crowd he has ever heard (during a Cinci game). Last night’s game was not quite that loud BUT it wasn’t far from it and I don’t think a game against App would have been as loud back during those years.

I’ve been to tons of games in Joel Coliseum, along with games in Cameron, the Dean Dome, and State’s old and new arenas. Maybe my opinion is biased, but our big games in the late 90’s and early 2000s were the loudest I have heard anywhere, including the Wake/chapel hill matchups and Wake/Duke matchups.

We now need to find a way to get credit for our fans being so loud. :smile:

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;268657]Vitale once called us the loudest loudest crowd he has ever heard (during a Cinci game). Last night’s game was not quite that loud BUT it wasn’t far from it and I don’t think a game against App would have been as loud back during those years.

I’ve been to tons of games in Joel Coliseum, along with games in Cameron, the Dean Dome, and State’s old and new arenas. Maybe my opinion is biased, but our big games in the late 90’s and early 2000s were the loudest I have heard anywhere, including the Wake/chapel hill matchups and Wake/Duke matchups.[/QUOTE]

I remember Vitale saying that. I was speaking with a coworker (49er fan) who took some State grads last night and said they were impressed with the crowd.

I CANNOT get over missing that game. I wanted to be there so bad, and it sounds like the crowd was awesome. I think this just goes to show, the more we play schools that people at Charlotte have friends at, the more people will come. We play ASU, UNCW, UNCG, etc. (since state and carolina won’t play us) the better turnouts we will have.

I just want to say… I am in the Pep Band and was standing on the floor all night. When we shot free-throws and everyone’s pick-axes went up, it was the coolest thing!
It was so awesome to see hands up from the first row of the bottom level, all the way up to the top row of the top level…

::chills::

Mass student email:
[I]
WOW!!! The atmosphere in Halton Arena was absolutely AWESOME last night!! And we have you students to thank for that. Our student athletes thrive on that kind of excitement and the energy from both the fans and the team was electrifying. Let’s continue to make Halton the toughest place to play in for our opponents. Thanks again for a great night. Go Niners!!

Judy Rose
Charlotte 49ers
Director of Athletics

Charlotte 49ers Student Ticketing: [URL=http://www.ticketreturn.com/49ers]www.ticketreturn.com/49ers[/URL]
49er Pride Rewards Program: [URL=http://www.49erpriderewards.com/]www.49erPrideRewards.com[/URL]
Charlotte 49ers Atheltics: [URL=http://www.charlotte49ers.com/]www.Charlotte49ers.com[/URL][/I]

I was listening on the internet. It sounded AMAZING! I turned it on and the first thing I heard was the Forty Niner chant…I love it!!! If I can’t be there this season (for the first time in 27 years ) it’s good to be able to hear all the excitment. Keep it up and cheer on the NINERS for me!!!
:49ers:

Definitely the best home atmosphere in the last 2 or 3 years. A friend of mine who is a student is also a UNC fan (girlfriend & 2 sisters are alum…) was there for his first game with 2 other buddies who are App alum. I’ve invited him to games before and he never wanted to or was able to go. Got a text message from him after the game last night…“Go 49ers! Had a blast!” I guarantee he will go to more games just based on that experience. And since I can’t go to the WFU game, I think he is going to go in my place. Good stuff.

It was a good atmosphere for sure, best in some time, but when the place literally starts to shake from the noise, then it will be on the same level of when we’d play Cincy, L’ville, Memphis.