Low Self Esteem? Post here.

Because Charlotte has more UNC Chapel Hill fans than Charlotte fans, and they’re a business.[/quote]

clt says you missed a key point. UNC CHeat fans are illiterate.

Well, its all very nice to track what the Absorber prints. How are we to measure the stuff they haven’t printed that was news everywhere else? They weren’t exactly in the forefront in covering the disgraceful academic mess out of Chapel Hill. Do you count the front page headlines when Chapel Hill wins a game the same as our page 5C coverage? Do you take into account that all their still pictures from games seem to magically show Chapel Hill’s opponent committing some rules infraction and yet never is a similar picture printed when it the Boys in Baby Blue are the perps?
Do you take into account that our beat writer is more like a beaten down writer marking time until retirement and failing in the meantime to remember our players names?
The O is a business for sure. That doesn’t mean they are an innovative or smart business. If there are lots of Holes fans in Charlotte, does it follow that this demographic is encouraged by the Chapel Hill coverage to patronize the advertisers in the Observer. The UNC-CH grads probably could care less about the local rag’s coverage of their sports, as there are better sources of information anyway and the Walmart fans are good customers of, well, Walmart and perhaps a few local strip clubs. The Observer is an “inside the box” entity with the box being located in 1980.
:frowning: :frowning:

I’ll be the 1st to admit the O’s coverage improved tremendously as soon as we really started sucking, but it has remained better.

Ninermike has ALWAYS been an avid supporter of the O. He even ridiculed some of us when we complained that the Observer was the only daily paper in the state that refused to print (online and print version) the story about our baseball win over a highly rated UNC-chapel hill team.

He has always defended the O and their coverage of the tarholes. He used to refer to us as “you Niners” until being called out about it.

You guys just don’t know what a tarhole is :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“niner007, post:24, topic:27377”]You guys just don’t know what a tarhole is :stuck_out_tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

[/quote]

I beg to differ . . . ;D

Because . . . .
;D

[quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27377”]I’ll be the 1st to admit the O’s coverage improved tremendously as soon as we really started sucking, but it has remained better.

Ninermike has ALWAYS been an avid supporter of the O. He even ridiculed some of us when we complained that the Observer was the only daily paper in the state that refused to print (online and print version) the story about our baseball win over a highly rated UNC-chapel hill team.

He has always defended the O and their coverage of the tarholes. He used to refer to us as “you Niners” until being called out about it.[/quote]

Thank you for bringing that up, 49r9r. Besides, 'round here we refer to 'em as chapel hole and disturber or a new word 4ever have just helped me out with . . . the “Absorber” (how appropriate . . .they do suck). ;D I believe you have a little work to do with your title there, mikey.

And, I am sure “niner” mike sports one of these “tramp stamp”, too. If he ain’t already got one. ;D

[quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27377”]I’ll be the 1st to admit the O’s coverage improved tremendously as soon as we really started sucking, but it has remained better.

He has always defended the O and their coverage of the tarholes. He used to refer to us as “you Niners” until being called out about it.[/quote]

You had a lot of time on your hands apparently. If you went back and read all my posts it should be pretty obvious I’m a Niner. I have defended the Observer in the past when I think they’ve been unfairly treated but I’ve always been objective. Go back and read my posts and let me know if I’ve ever attacked another Niner. You question my affiliation and attack me? What kind of fan are you? Seriously.

I really don’t know what the coverage difference is between Charlotte and Chapel Hill but I’d like to find out.

[quote=“Niner89, post:27, topic:27377”][quote=“49r9r, post:23, topic:27377”]I’ll be the 1st to admit the O’s coverage improved tremendously as soon as we really started sucking, but it has remained better.

Thank you for bringing that up, 49r9r. Besides, 'round here we refer to 'em as chapel hole and disturber or a new word 4ever have just helped me out with . . . the “Absorber” (how appropriate . . .they do suck). ;D I believe you have a little work to do with your title there, mikey.

And, I am sure “niner” mike sports one of these “tramp stamp”, too. If he ain’t already got one. ;D[/quote]

You guys can f up a thread real quick.

Back on topic:

[font=Tahoma]January 17th- Charlotte vs. Fordham 60 column inches (Donnie Smith MLS article- additional 12)[/font]
[font=Tahoma]January 18th- (Donnie Smith draft selection- 4)[/font]

[font=Tahoma]Totals: Charlotte basketball: 60, Other: 16[/font]

[font=Tahoma]Note: Duke had 60 column inches today. I’m guessing that’s normal for the prime feature of the day.[/font]

Niner Mike, you start a thread like this and then tell ME I have too much time on my hands? Why did you not start this thread back when the O was really giving us the shaft bigtime? You waited until the coverage got better and complaints were at a minimum before you started the thread.

Even if coverage was equal now (which it is not), it will not undo the past damage. Even Mike P admitted numerous times back then that we would never receive equal coverage. Actually, he did more than admit it. He rubbed it in our face in his smug, condescending way.

Maybe they will put this in the Observer

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/01/50f8ca9bc71da

[quote=“49r9r, post:31, topic:27377”]Niner Mike, you start a thread like this and then tell ME I have too much time on my hands? Why did you not start this thread back when the O was really giving us the shaft bigtime? You waited until the coverage got better and complaints were at a minimum before you started the thread.

Even if coverage was equal now (which it is not), it will not undo the past damage. Even Mike P admitted numerous times back then that we would never receive equal coverage. Actually, he did more than admit it. He rubbed it in our face in his smug, condescending way.[/quote]

No I waited until I moved back to Charlotte and subscribed to the print edition again. I’ve been out of the market for the last 8 years. You imply that this would not detect any prior bias and that’s certainly accurate. I’m comparing coverage between our two schools currently. Take it for what it’s worth. No reason to come up with conspiracy theories.

The article on Donnie Smith did give two sentences of the same article noting that Furman’s Walker Zimmerman and North Carolina’s Mikey Lopez were drafted at 7th and 14th overall.

So now you are telling us you blindly defended the O for all those years when you did not even live here or read the Observer?

What a circus act. What are you gonna do for your encore?

[quote=“49r9r, post:34, topic:27377”]So now you are telling us you blindly defended the O for all those years when you did not even live here or read the Observer?

What a circus act. What are you gonna do for your encore?[/quote]

Can we just leave this thread for what it is without bringing a bunch of drama into it? If you find at some point I’m not being objective then please comment. I’m not sure what your agenda is here but I’m just putting facts out there. You can take them or leave them. If you want to attack me personally please start a thread in the Smack Talk forum. I’m a big boy and can take your abuse but quit mucking up this thread.

So to summarize, I wish you could have started sooner and hope you find the time/resources to go back further.

In light of that, could you keep track of column inches as front page and non-front page (sum obviously being total)?

One last thing. Is this going to be column inches squared? I’m not sure how the media people record this data.

[quote=“NLP, post:36, topic:27377”]So to summarize, I wish you could have started sooner and hope you find the time/resources to go back further.

In light of that, could you keep track of column inches as front page and non-front page (sum obviously being total)?

One last thing. Is this going to be column inches squared? I’m not sure how the media people record this data.[/quote]

That’s kind of what I was getting at. 20 column inches on the front page, with a pic, is not the same as 20 column inches on page 5, with no pic.

[quote=“Normmm, post:37, topic:27377”][quote=“NLP, post:36, topic:27377”]So to summarize, I wish you could have started sooner and hope you find the time/resources to go back further.

One last thing. Is this going to be column inches squared? I’m not sure how the media people record this data.[/quote]

That’s kind of what I was getting at. 20 column inches on the front page, with a pic, is not the same as 20 column inches on page 5, with no pic.[/quote]

I’ll make a note of placement. NLP- In determining column inches you measure the length of an article and multiple by the number of rows. If an article is 4 rows wide and 10 inches long it would be 40 column inches. This weekend alone will be a good gauge of coverage as we both have Saturday games and will have a direct comparison.

you could also give the page number a magnitude… say multiply by 10 if on front page, multiply by 9 on second 8 on third etc etc.

So, Tarhole Mike wants to be objective, but he used to attack all Niners who criticized the O in some older threads, not to mention the fact he now admits he did not even read the O while attacking us Niners

How ****ing ironic is that? I do like the idea of tracking the page number.