Lukas Bergang - 2015 C signed LOI to Charlotte

I think the problem with Phil Jones’ treatment is fans expected too much of him early in his career. Everyone seemed to think he’d be a finished product his first year playing. He progressed every year, like most big men post players do (that we get, even when it’s thanks to poor academics), but a number of posters ripped him early in his development and seemed to be writing him off completely by concluding he’d never give us much, he was not a D1 talent, etc. His game was never really a power game even his senior year, but he did learn to play better D and be more consistent on offense.

Unless you just want to hold unrealistic expectations and make negative comments, players like this should be expected to produce very little early, and then may develop into a productive player junior/senior year. Getting really tall post players that can produce early in their career usually means we got a recruiting steal.

There is an alternative. Recruit undersized post guys that the stronger programs overlook because they aren’t tall enough, but who are more ready to play at the D1 level in terms of skill and athleticism. They probably have a lower ceiling, but will give you more consistent production earlier and have less risk of being a total bust. I sometimes wonder if we shouldn’t do more of this, though I also make comments about recruits’ heights versus position. The new juco recruit will be interesting, as he seems to fit this mold.

[quote=“9erken, post:61, topic:29672”]I think the problem with Phil Jones’ treatment is fans expected too much of him early in his career. Everyone seemed to think he’d be a finished product his first year playing. He progressed every year, like most big men post players do (that we get, even when it’s thanks to poor academics), but a number of posters ripped him early in his development and seemed to be writing him off completely by concluding he’d never give us much, he was not a D1 talent, etc. His game was never really a power game even his senior year, but he did learn to play better D and be more consistent on offense.

Unless you just want to hold unrealistic expectations and make negative comments, players like this should be expected to produce very little early, and then may develop into a productive player junior/senior year. Getting really tall post players that can produce early in their career usually means we got a recruiting steal.

There is an alternative. Recruit undersized post guys that the stronger programs overlook because they aren’t tall enough, but who are more ready to play at the D1 level in terms of skill and athleticism. They probably have a lower ceiling, but will give you more consistent production earlier and have less risk of being a total bust. I sometimes wonder if we shouldn’t do more of this, though I also make comments about recruits’ heights versus position. The new juco recruit will be interesting, as he seems to fit this mold.[/quote]

It’s true. The big guys we do get that come in decently ranked like Phil or highly ranked like Iti, do get saddled with unrealistic expectations due to their rankiing. Their failure is really about living up to a bill of goods that has been sold to fans by their rankings nto really a knock on their games. Our smaller undersized guys, Kelvin easily comes to mind or big men with no significant expectations, Wade Helliwell or Kenny Whitehead seemed to get by without too much negative stuff from fans. Iti would have been loved here if it wasnt for that ESPN #1 rated center thing.

As for Phil I think my criticism really centered around the fact that he was a toy poodle in a mastiff body. Not just his game, but who he was. When he got mad he played better. Too bad we didn’t have a coaching staff that knew how to get him mentally prepared for the game.

This has to be somewhat of a concern, ala the last Lukas we tried to get

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:62, topic:29672”][quote=“9erken, post:61, topic:29672”]I think the problem with Phil Jones’ treatment is fans expected too much of him early in his career. Everyone seemed to think he’d be a finished product his first year playing. He progressed every year, like most big men post players do (that we get, even when it’s thanks to poor academics), but a number of posters ripped him early in his development and seemed to be writing him off completely by concluding he’d never give us much, he was not a D1 talent, etc. His game was never really a power game even his senior year, but he did learn to play better D and be more consistent on offense.

There is an alternative. Recruit undersized post guys that the stronger programs overlook because they aren’t tall enough, but who are more ready to play at the D1 level in terms of skill and athleticism. They probably have a lower ceiling, but will give you more consistent production earlier and have less risk of being a total bust. I sometimes wonder if we shouldn’t do more of this, though I also make comments about recruits’ heights versus position. The new juco recruit will be interesting, as he seems to fit this mold.[/quote]

It’s true. The big guys we do get that come in decently ranked like Phil or highly ranked like Iti, do get saddled with unrealistic expectations due to their rankiing. Their failure is really about living up to a bill of goods that has been sold to fans by their rankings nto really a knock on their games. Our smaller undersized guys, Kelvin easily comes to mind or big men with no significant expectations, Wade Helliwell or Kenny Whitehead seemed to get by without too much negative stuff from fans. Iti would have been loved here if it wasnt for that ESPN #1 rated center thing.

As for Phil I think my criticism really centered around the fact that he was a toy poodle in a mastiff body. Not just his game, but who he was. When he got mad he played better. Too bad we didn’t have a coaching staff that knew how to get him mentally prepared for the game.[/quote]

clt replies with helliwell for three?

This kid is big but apparently raw, the Vanhook kid is undersized but looks pretty skilled and some aren’t happy with either. LOL

i dont think undersized will matter in cusa. marquette used to make a living off of kids like vanhook. if the kid can play, we could put him at multiple positions and just let him go. i have a feeling we will be shooting a lot of threes this season.

i dont think undersized will matter in cusa. marquette used to make a living off of kids like vanhook. if the kid can play, we could put him at multiple positions and just let him go. i have a feeling we will be shooting a lot of threes this season.[/quote] Ya think?

nah. half-court. set plays. price’s recruiting is just to becloud those who would plan to stop us. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:62, topic:29672”][quote=“9erken, post:61, topic:29672”]I think the problem with Phil Jones’ treatment is fans expected too much of him early in his career. Everyone seemed to think he’d be a finished product his first year playing. He progressed every year, like most big men post players do (that we get, even when it’s thanks to poor academics), but a number of posters ripped him early in his development and seemed to be writing him off completely by concluding he’d never give us much, he was not a D1 talent, etc. His game was never really a power game even his senior year, but he did learn to play better D and be more consistent on offense.

As for Phil I think my criticism really centered around the fact that he was a toy poodle in a mastiff body. Not just his game, but who he was. When he got mad he played better. Too bad we didn’t have a coaching staff that knew how to get him mentally prepared for the game.[/quote]

there is this one, overriding imponderable–we’ll never know what phil would have been had he had a coach who pushed him and was capable of extracting the very best basketball he had in him. i rarely, if ever, criticized major when he was here, but i had/have grave questions about his ability to get the most out of kids. any of them.
price might turn out to have the same problem. if you think about it, he hasn’t had to deal with kids who played b/c they were simply the tallest or quickest or most athletic on their last team. he’s been dealing with pros who have mostly already learned to work.
my guess is that that won’t be a problem. rather i suspect it is more likely that some kids will be making appointments with the AD to discuss how hard practices are. we won’t have/keep many toy poodles

^that’s why it is so huge that price was able to put together a very experienced staff.

^ agree!

Look for another player to join us in the post before next season.

#notdone

#notdun #latevisit #posthelp

One more big guy who can play right away and at least add depth would be good news. It would also mean we would have close to a full roster (12) since being down to 5 at one time.

#NinerJags #funny

Better #notdun than #daggum

With Uchebo on board, Jags record remains impeccable. (I should have never doubted for a moment.)

With Uchebo on board, Jags record remains impeccable. (I should have never doubted for a moment.)[/quote]
If all of the guys Jags posted as #priority join up I’m willing to crown his poster of the year.

Anyone know how he is looking in practice and if he has the skills/talent to contribute next year?