Luke Maye - 2015 PF offer - verbal to UNC-CH

Do transfers get a schollie the year they sit? Maybe we can get a transfer C next year and Give them schollie in 2015. Maybe easier said than done but I don’t understand why we have no center besides Thorne for 2013 or 2014. Since most are gonna be “projects” I would think you bring in one every other year.

Yes. Both Sullivan and Ogy are using a schollie now. Its one of the reasons we are thin this year.

[quote=“cibik02, post:35, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:34, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:33, topic:27134”]We def need some bigs coming in the next year or two. Schollies are taken next year right? I wish we could have one for next year, red shirt and then play thorne’s senior year. I like how the staff has helped thorne develop. But we really need down low guys ready to contribute from day 1 if we are waiting till 2015. Hopefully the staff can find some 7 footer out there and develop them since most that are ready to play go to top bball school

Is it too much to ask for 2-3 Thorne size players every year?[/quote]

2 or 3? That’s a lot of C’s We need size, but they can’t all be Thornes. Teams would just sprint past us. But yes we need legit 6’8-6’10PF’s and 6’10+ C’s.[/quote]
I’m saying we should have true 6’11"+ center backup every year.[/quote]

Have we EVER had more than 1 guy taller than 6’10 on the roster in any year in the last 20? I can’t think of one…

[quote=“EE9er, post:43, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:35, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:34, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:33, topic:27134”]We def need some bigs coming in the next year or two. Schollies are taken next year right? I wish we could have one for next year, red shirt and then play thorne’s senior year. I like how the staff has helped thorne develop. But we really need down low guys ready to contribute from day 1 if we are waiting till 2015. Hopefully the staff can find some 7 footer out there and develop them since most that are ready to play go to top bball school

2 or 3? That’s a lot of C’s We need size, but they can’t all be Thornes. Teams would just sprint past us. But yes we need legit 6’8-6’10PF’s and 6’10+ C’s.[/quote]

Have we EVER had more than 1 guy taller than 6’10 on the roster in any year in the last 20? I can’t think of one…[/quote]

Umm… Last year? We had Thorne and Ivan the terrible. Not saying we had two good players who were 6’10+, but we did physically have two of them.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:44, topic:27134”][quote=“EE9er, post:43, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:35, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:34, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:33, topic:27134”]We def need some bigs coming in the next year or two. Schollies are taken next year right? I wish we could have one for next year, red shirt and then play thorne’s senior year. I like how the staff has helped thorne develop. But we really need down low guys ready to contribute from day 1 if we are waiting till 2015. Hopefully the staff can find some 7 footer out there and develop them since most that are ready to play go to top bball school

Have we EVER had more than 1 guy taller than 6’10 on the roster in any year in the last 20? I can’t think of one…[/quote]

Umm… Last year? We had Thorne and Ivan the terrible. Not saying we had two good players who were 6’10+, but we did physically have two of them.[/quote]

OK so you pick two guys that averaged 0.5 minutes a game, I guess I should have said when is the last time we have had two guys 6’10 and over that actually played. Point is an athletic 6’9 or 6’8 guy can play center in today’s college game.

[quote=“EE9er, post:45, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:44, topic:27134”][quote=“EE9er, post:43, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:35, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:34, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:33, topic:27134”]We def need some bigs coming in the next year or two. Schollies are taken next year right? I wish we could have one for next year, red shirt and then play thorne’s senior year. I like how the staff has helped thorne develop. But we really need down low guys ready to contribute from day 1 if we are waiting till 2015. Hopefully the staff can find some 7 footer out there and develop them since most that are ready to play go to top bball school

Umm… Last year? We had Thorne and Ivan the terrible. Not saying we had two good players who were 6’10+, but we did physically have two of them.[/quote]

OK so you pick two guys that averaged 0.5 minutes a game, I guess I should have said when is the last time we have had two guys 6’10 and over that actually played. Point is an athletic 6’9 or 6’8 guy can play center in today’s college game.[/quote]

Well that’s a different question. ;D

No we have not. If we did we would be legit year in and year out. The basketball gods will not allow such blasphemy to transpire. We are kept just good enough to see the light, but never so close as to experience its warmth. We are the purgatory of college basketball.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:46, topic:27134”][quote=“EE9er, post:45, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:44, topic:27134”][quote=“EE9er, post:43, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:35, topic:27134”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:34, topic:27134”][quote=“cibik02, post:33, topic:27134”]We def need some bigs coming in the next year or two. Schollies are taken next year right? I wish we could have one for next year, red shirt and then play thorne’s senior year. I like how the staff has helped thorne develop. But we really need down low guys ready to contribute from day 1 if we are waiting till 2015. Hopefully the staff can find some 7 footer out there and develop them since most that are ready to play go to top bball school

OK so you pick two guys that averaged 0.5 minutes a game, I guess I should have said when is the last time we have had two guys 6’10 and over that actually played. Point is an athletic 6’9 or 6’8 guy can play center in today’s college game.[/quote]

Well that’s a different question. ;D

No we have not. If we did we would be legit year in and year out. The basketball gods will not allow such blasphemy to transpire. We are kept just good enough to see the light, but never so close as to experience its warmth. We are the purgatory of college basketball.[/quote]

There is a team that plays down in Durham that has 1 guy over 6’10, they have been pretty good the last few years, just saying, having a bunch of tall bodies doesn’t equal wins.

^ wouldn’t hurt either. So there’s no Thorne type players out there? Then we def found the needle in the haystack.

I’m just saying it looks like we have the 1-3 spots pretty much stocked for the next few years. The 4 spot not so bad since you can use taller 3s to help on defense. The 5 spot I’m worried about.

i would not necessarily say needle in a haystack. he was a pretty highly ranked kid. like the 23rd. ranked center with a marquette offer. this could be majors way. recruit talented but raw big men that he knows we can get and coach them up. i feel confident in major and the staff that if the kid has talent, they can make him into a player.

We are stockpiling Charlotte talent. We were always good for a kid or 2, now we are loading up on locals. No reason not to get greedy with these kids. Maye could be a monster here.

http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1580048 (UNC-CH rivals article)

no mention of Charlotte being involved at this point in time.

RT @Coach_Rick57: Coach Alan Major & Ryan Odom of Charlotte in the house for Luke Maye @CHoopsChallenge

First thing I’ve seen with us tied to Maye in some time.

[quote=“2k, post:52, topic:27134”]RT @Coach_Rick57: Coach Alan Major & Ryan Odom of Charlotte in the house for Luke Maye @CHoopsChallenge

First thing I’ve seen with us tied to Maye in some time.[/quote]

Gotta strike when the iron is hot!

I agree with that, Honest.

RT @Justinbyerly: 2015 F Luke Maye had 36 points and 23 rebounds for Hough HS in a win over JM Robinson HS tonight.

No. 2 Hough 60, Mallard Creek 55: Going into the fourth quarter, Hough (8-1, 3-0 MECKA 8) was down 34-28 but rallied behind 14 points each from Theo Mack and Tucker Thompson. Junior all-state star Luke Maye added 11. Mallard Creek (5-4, 1-2) led 26-13 at halftime.

clt says hough has the best athletic program in the state right now.

RT @Justinbyerly: Gonzaga, Xavier, and Butler are the latest schools to contact 2015 W Luke Maye of Hough HS (NC).

Are even seriously still in it with this kid.

Maybe his family being able to watch him play is very important to him. Maybe he has a serious girlfriend that is younger and doesn’t want to go far away to college. Maybe he loves mommas cooking. If he was from Ohio, I’d say we most likely had no shot if bigger name teams come calling but since he lives around here, we always have a shot.