Luke Maye - 2015 PF offer - verbal to UNC-CH

We’re in it until K decides he wants another white boy or Roy calls

We are not in it with this kid. He specifically said right in front of me that he wanted to go play against the best competition. He specifically said he wanted to go to the ACC if at all possible. Scratch him off of our list

Best wishes to him.

Did you give him a swift gentlemanly bitch slap after hearing that?

Great, now he’ll have to sit a year before he plays for the Niners.

this is exactly the sort of kid that should play for charlotte but wont. pretty highly ranked but with obvious flaws, i.e. height, athleticism. he has a good skill set but even if a few of the acc schools offer he is the sort of player that could get recruited over or lost in the shuffle. this is not a once every few years sort of player that it hurts to lose. this kid may find out the hard way, much like tyler lewis, that playing in the acc isnt all its cracked up to be. do you get more exposure in the acc? of course, but no player will have their draft stock hurt playing here if they are good enough. in fact, the opportunity to play early puts them at an advantage, while still getting to play with really talented players.

clt nods.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:65, topic:27134”]Great, now he’ll have to sit a year before he plays for the Niners.[/quote]I laffed.

In all honesty, I can’t blame a kid for growing up in our area and wanting to play in the ACC. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t.

I think Maye is a mid major player. I could be wrong but he does not have elite athleticism at all but he is fairly skilled. He reminds me of a smaller Ryan Kelly type. However, I saw Kelly play in high school and he put up points everytime out. Maye does not stand out like him. I saw Maye as a sophomore and I thought he was going to be a stud. The times I saw him this year he did not appear to be improved much at all.

regardless of whether you want to call us a mid-major or not, i like to believe that for the most part, we recruit high major players with some mid-major role players, i.e. bryan, benkovic. nothing about this kid says that he is above our level, regardless of the offers he may get. if we dont get him, which we obviously wont, we will get someone better. whether we can do something with it is another question.

Yeah I agree with you. I have never understood why some great but not ultra elite players don’t go mid major more often so they get to be “the man” with almost guaranteed playing time from the start rather than riding the pine at a P5 school. If they want to play pro surely the playing time and exposure is more valuable than the fact your playing at a traditional power.

Yeah I agree with you. I have never understood why some great but not ultra elite players don’t go mid major more often so they get to be “the man” with almost guaranteed playing time from the start rather than riding the pine at a P5 school. If they want to play pro surely the playing time and exposure is more valuable than the fact your playing at a traditional power.[/quote]

Oh wait, I forgot about the lessons I learned from the bagman story. As I understand it at a lot of mid major schools you actually have to go to class as well.

[quote=“moss2k, post:68, topic:27134”][quote=“49erAlumnus, post:65, topic:27134”]Great, now he’ll have to sit a year before he plays for the Niners.[/quote]I laffed.

In all honesty, I can’t blame a kid for growing up in our area and wanting to play in the ACC. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t.[/quote]

I just wish these guys would figure out that they don’t need to sign with a “name” school to validate their ability. If you get a chance to play for K, ok I get it. But going to Clemson to get your brains beaten in by Duke isn’t going to make you better.

Yeah I agree with you. I have never understood why some great but not ultra elite players don’t go mid major more often so they get to be “the man” with almost guaranteed playing time from the start rather than riding the pine at a P5 school. If they want to play pro surely the playing time and exposure is more valuable than the fact your playing at a traditional power.[/quote]

True

i can understand going to a certain school if you can admit that you will never be a pro and you just want to either get a free education from a great school or be part of a top team but if you have dreams of being a starter or being a pro, why not just give yourself the best of both worlds. its not asking this kid to drop all the way down to a southern conference level school just for the purposes of being “the man”. he could go to a very good, albeit down program like ours and get early playing time. i dont think this kid would start as a freshman but he would play. why go to a virginia tech type team that is void of talent just to be in the acc?

Some people rather be challenged by the best of the best than be a big fish in a small pond.

i understand your point, but would modify one thing. if, say, you’re interested in being an engineer but you’re not a super elite talent, i’d suggest Charlotte is a waaaaaay better choice than UNC-CH. however if you’re interested in journalism, i’d suggest UNC-CH. just an example.
now if you’re possibly a lottery choice and could care less what you major in, i’d go to kentucky.
whole different ballgame, dontcha see

btw. i have no idea what luke might want to major in.
so my suggestion…think it through, luke. and the very best of wishes!

i understand your point, but would modify one thing. if, say, you’re interested in being an engineer but you’re not a super elite talent, i’d suggest Charlotte is a waaaaaay better choice than UNC-CH. however if you’re interested in journalism, i’d suggest UNC-CH. just an example.
now if you’re possibly a lottery choice and could care less what you major in, i’d go to kentucky.
whole different ballgame, dontcha see [/quote]

i could hold my nose for a year.

clt says UNC Cheat has a big recruiting advantage over Charlotte.

Charlotte actually expects you to be a student.