Lutz Discussion

I was in Eastern North Carolina this week working on a project with a couple of NC State Alums. Starting talking about Basketball and how they were excited about
NC States new coaches and direction. We got into a discussion on Lutz- they were not familiar with Moxely’s history.
Their thoughts:
Loved Lutz and thought he was doing a super job. Did not think they would be able to keep him as an assistant as soon as Charlotte stopped paying the contract buyout. Mentioned that Lutz built up the Charlotte program and asked what happened to us.( I will skip my explanation).
In Retrospect, the guy did bleed niner green and we ran him off. Was it the right choice? Time will Tell. I am beginning to question some fans loyalty to people that do the right thing or maybe it just doesn’t matter anymore. Wins and Losses are all that counts. We all want to win and be the tourny every year but we are who we are.
Not trying to start a big thread argument - just food for thought.

This again?

Yes, running Bobby off was the right thing to do. I doubt they told him that they hated him as a person and never wanted him to step foot on campus again. This is a business and Bobby knows that.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:1, topic:25998”]Loved Lutz and thought he was doing a super job. Did not think they would be able to keep him as an assistant as soon as Charlotte stopped paying the contract buyout. Mentioned that Lutz built up the Charlotte program and asked what happened to us.( I will skip my explanation).[/quote]I am really happy that Lutz is doing so well at NCSU, hopefully that will result in another head coaching position at some point soon if that’s what he wants. I always appreciated that he ran a clean program and did seem to care about the team, the school, and the fans so much.

Not sure we need to get into it too much, but I think Lutz actually was given a fair amount of leeway, despite pretty clear evidence he was struggling to be successful in the A10. I think you’ll find Niner fans that think it was done too late (after the contract extension), too soon (his loyalty deserved better and it is expensive for the school), and just right (it was time, even if it was expensive).

This thread exists why?

Bobby Lutz became head coach of Charlotte in 1998. Sure he was a n assistant and helped recruit and build the program to that point, but I would argue it was Watkins that built the program up. Watkins recruits were gone by 2002 and I would argue 2003 was the when the wheels started going flat for Lutz at Charlotte. He started losing players to transfers and had to get jucos etc bla bla bla, we know the story.

I would say that Lutz coasted through his first 4 years on Watkins’ team and never built the program up beyond that. I would also argue that Lutz did the opposite and hurt the program more than he helped it.

I think some like to keep bringing up the same arguments from the past for their own entertainment.

The problem is the regurgatation of that food. Its been done many times already.

So we can watch 919R pounce on this post.

[quote=“Universal Niner, post:6, topic:25998”]Bobby Lutz became head coach of Charlotte in 1998. Sure he was a n assistant and helped recruit and build the program to that point, but I would argue it was Watkins that built the program up. Watkins recruits were gone by 2002 and I would argue 2003 was the when the wheels started going flat for Lutz at Charlotte. He started losing players to transfers and had to get jucos etc bla bla bla, we know the story.

I would say that Lutz coasted through his first 4 years on Watkins’ team and never built the program up beyond that. I would also argue that Lutz did the opposite and hurt the program more than he helped it.[/quote]

Bobby Lutz was just too short to be a successful coach at the D-1 level. Thankfully Judy brought in a fellow “size king” that will take Charlotte to all new heights.

The Average Fan just doesn’t realize how good this thread is.

THIS TOPIC IS BACK!!!

Why don’t we just let sleeping dogs lie?

Bonnie Cone’s paralyzed son.

NLP, he wasn’t paralyzed, he died.

Thread was worth it for this post.

Or all new lows :-X

Cool, now we got two things that will not die.

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:1, topic:25998”]I was in Eastern North Carolina this week working on a project with a couple of NC State Alums. Starting talking about Basketball and how they were excited about
NC States new coaches and direction. We got into a discussion on Lutz- they were not familiar with Moxely’s history.
Their thoughts:
Loved Lutz and thought he was doing a super job. Did not think they would be able to keep him as an assistant as soon as Charlotte stopped paying the contract buyout. Mentioned that Lutz built up the Charlotte program and asked what happened to us.( I will skip my explanation).
In Retrospect, the guy did bleed niner green and we ran him off. Was it the right choice? Time will Tell. I am beginning to question some fans loyalty to people that do the right thing or maybe it just doesn’t matter anymore. Wins and Losses are all that counts. We all want to win and be the tourny every year but we are who we are.
Not trying to start a big thread argument - just food for thought.[/quote]

I ain’t gonna bump no more with no big fat woman

Joe Tex - Aint Gonna Bump No More [totp2]