Lutz Discussion

[quote=“Universal Niner, post:6, topic:25998”]Bobby Lutz became head coach of Charlotte in 1998. Sure he was a n assistant and helped recruit and build the program to that point, but I would argue it was Watkins that built the program up. Watkins recruits were gone by 2002 and I would argue 2003 was the when the wheels started going flat for Lutz at Charlotte. He started losing players to transfers and had to get jucos etc bla bla bla, we know the story.

I would say that Lutz coasted through his first 4 years on Watkins’ team and never built the program up beyond that. I would also argue that Lutz did the opposite and hurt the program more than he helped it.
[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Universal Niner, post:6, topic:25998”]Bobby Lutz became head coach of Charlotte in 1998. Sure he was a n assistant and helped recruit and build the program to that point, but I would argue it was Watkins that built the program up. Watkins recruits were gone by 2002 and I would argue 2003 was the when the wheels started going flat for Lutz at Charlotte. He started losing players to transfers and had to get jucos etc bla bla bla, we know the story.

I would say that Lutz coasted through his first 4 years on Watkins’ team and never built the program up beyond that. I would also argue that Lutz did the opposite and hurt the program more than he helped it.[/quote]

Amen. Just let it go. He’s gone. He is a good guy and an alumni, but wasn’t a great coach. If he was loyal to us, we should already have NC State scheduled for Halton next available opening.

foogie

Check out the Pole Vault

This is going to keep coming up until someone else comes in to coach this program
and proves they are better. I hope it is Major. Like I said -Time will Tell.

Talking to some smart NC State fans helps put things in perspective. They have the money, facilities, alumni support , conference affiliation and they still can’t put together a strong program.
What would niner fans be happy with? Big Dance once every 3-4 years?

[quote=“BigTimeNiner, post:25, topic:25998”]This is going to keep coming up until someone else comes in to coach this program
and proves they are better. I hope it is Major. Like I said -Time will Tell.

Talking to some smart NC State fans helps put things in perspective. They have the money, facilities, alumni support , conference affiliation and they still can’t put together a strong program.
What would niner fans be happy with? Big Dance once every 3-4 years?[/quote]

Well, smart NC State fans were the same ones who wanted Sendek gone.

well, i think i’ll go make a p-b-j sammich, get some milk, and start thinking about going to bed.
any of you guys gonna go to the davidson game?

Maybe we should restart the " Bring back Lutz" discussion. And, yes, I am very serious. He can coach. We haven’t been able to watch exciting basketball since Lutz left.

Love Ron’s personality but …

3 Likes

Haven’t been a fan of a Lutz return but now I’m ready.

4 Likes

Good grief. Im not sold on ron but stop with the bobby talk. Hes not coming back, nor should he. I found our first 5 games exciting bc of our defense. Bobby would be a disaste.we might have to replace ron but not for bobby

6 Likes

I am baffled how Lutz would be a disaster the 2nd time around when he was far from one the 1st time around. He would flourish in the AAC just like he did in CUSA 1.0.

1 Like

His last 5 seasons werent good. He hasent been a head coach in several years and the game(specifically recruiting) has changed.

Hahaha…even his last 5 were better than anything we have seen since…with 3 different coaches.

1 Like

No. They werent.

1 Like

Yeah, they were…certainly better than any of Ron or Marks teams and yes, im including his under. 500 teams as they were against tougher competition…3 of his last 5 years, we had atleast 19 wins.

2 Likes

Under makor, we won 2 of 3 early season tournaments we were in and made the finals in a 3rd. We also had a top 10 win. Ron has a wake win, boise and tulsa and a good north texas tesm. Bobby was good oversll but the last 5 seasons were bad

Check the stats from Bobbys last 5 again.

1 Like

In Bobby defense, he was under so much stress and scrutiny from his higher ups, it a miracle he was able to focus or enjoy anything.

1 Like

This is coming from someone who still holds onto hope that Ron will accidentally learn how to win this season, despite his record of consistent failure. That’s why they don’t want Lutz’s name brought forward; that is Lutz is a proven winner and they have been carrying water for proven losers all these years since Lutz. Again, not to be critical

1 Like

Lutz was a better coach than any one that we’ve had since his dismissal. He’s our most winningest coach. Give him a little credit.

4 Likes